Poll: Ex-marine shot at 70 times hit atleast 60 bleeds out because SWAT team wouldn't let paramedic's in

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
Haakong said:
They had the right to shoot him (guy waving a rifle in police's face and all), but 70 fucking shots? Seriously? For 7 seconds? Count that in your head... thats a long time to shoot at someone, especially a guy that doesnt even fire back! Are these guys even trained? I mean, what kinda collateral damage could 70 rifle shots have created? They were freakin' lucky no one else got hurt. Amateurs...

Also, the handling of the situation after was abyssmal. "Denying medical care"? Wtf? And then hiding files and changing the story?

I usually laugh at conspiracy nuts, but I kinda feel theres something going on behind the scenes here. Maybe some idiot rookie with a rich parent protecting him/her or something. I dunno... The way they handled it after is just outright retarded, especially when so many are following the case.

Redfefnir said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XP0f00_JMak&feature=player_embedded

Helmetcam footage (if you didn't already see it)
Watched this now... looks like this is how it went down:
*smashes up the door*
"oh, its a guy with a gun in there"
*waits 6 sec*
"lets shoot him"
"yeh"
*gets in position*
*shoots 70 shots instead of 3 well placed ones*

It all looks like panic shooting. Reason it gets downplayed is probably because it makes the police department look bad, hiring triggerhappy amateurs as SWAT.
SWAT are not amateurs you have to go through 7 years police duty about 6 on patrol duty and then a rigourous retraining program so noot amateurs... maybe the government *duh dun dah*
i kid but serousl

Tsuki Akechi

Feb 20, 2011
This seems fishy, aren't law enforcement supposed to yell "lay down you weapons or we will engage!" or something and then flash-bang you and cuff you not shoot first and try to hide the info. This is just terrible.

thedeathscythe

Aug 6, 2010
Bethany Vreeland said:
This is appalling, and yet not really surprising. I plan on moving to Canada as soon as I can support myself, because the USA is kinda f'ed up at the moment.
Welcome!

This is tragic. I understand why they fired at him, they entered a house they thought to be trafficking drugs and they run into a guy with an assault rifle at the end of the hall, I think I'd open fire too, regardless of what he starts shouting. It's a bad case of wrong place and...well not wrong time, just wrong place. However, not letting him get medical attention or at least see his family was totally uncalled for, once they realized it was not a drug trafficking house, they should have done whatever they could to fix that.

Mcupobob

Jun 29, 2009
So just because the guy was had a gun it means it was just a mix up right? Fuck no he had the sense enough to try and check to see who it was the police shot him on sight. If our soldiers have to be trained not to fire in less engaged then why aren't the police? I mean it makes even more sense for the police not go into any situation firing at anything they see. To top it all off it was because of weed. Hell I thought that was decriminalized by now.

Sudenak

Mar 31, 2011
Smagmuck_ said:
Your ignorance, it makes my head explode. First thing, SWAT doesn't just pull people in off the streets and train them, you have to qualify first, you have to have had six years on patrol as a police officer and seven years in the Police Department, and what would you have done in that situation? SWAT officers are drilled to the bone that when they see (In this instance) a man standing at the end of a dark hall way, with a civilian legal rifle you drop them Flat. Fuck. Dead. And only then do you move in, he had a fire arm, he may have had it pointed in the direction of a heavily armed officer of the law and he brought it on himself. The Ex-Marine was in the wrong in this situation and got himself killed which doesn't make it any less sad. And further more, Paramedics are NOT allowed into a Hot Zone until it is cleared. And they probably wouldn't have done much good anyways. He was a goner by the time he picked up his AR-15.
Okay, third time that intro gets used means creativity is bankrupt and we need a knew way to get the ball rolling. I, for example, opened with that because the initial statement was one of smug superiority. Repeating it to me just feels like a baseball bat to the face. And not in a good way.

Anyway.

Yes, I know that they were trained very thoroughly to go legally murder. I know. I understand how police work. I shockingly live in the US and have been exposed to police and how they are trained beyond movies. It's pretty surprising, I know.

What bothers me is how frantically you want to defend their actions.

They did not have solid proof to back up their warrant, seeing as how they were wrong about each house that they busted into to try and find pot. Which is sadly comical when you think about it, being so wrong about a drug that kids tend to use in college. I wonder if you would still defend them if they flew into a college dorm and nuked a couple kids for being stoned and holding an X-acto knife in a really threatening manner.

In the video, they kick in the door and idly stand about for a few seconds, then decide to just wildly shoot. One guy waits a bit, then starts shooting with a pistol as well. When they discover that his safety was on and that there is no pot, they then refuse to allow paramedics in for over an hour. Was that the right way to handle the situation?

The Ex-marine saw people break down his door and he wanted to protect his wife and child. He had a, as you put it, civilian legal weapon. But because he had a civilian legal weapon, he was cleared to be shot 70 times. Because the SWAT had a hunch. A hunch that was completely wrong.

So, let's recap:

Ex-marine serves to protect the country.
Ex-marine owns legal gun for protection.
Cops gather bad intel on possible pot.
Cops send SWAT to house.
Ex-marine wants to protect wife and son.
SWAT breaks down door with minimal effort to make their presence known.
SWAT kills ex-marine.
SWAT refuses to let the ex-marine get medical attention.
Cops seal documents once the press gets the story.
Cops begin changing story.

Yeah, they totally handled the situation well, and there are no problems with our law or how we handle everything. I bow to your infinitely superior wisdom and remind myself that the police are infallible wise beings that must always be respected, and that when they fuck up it is never their fault.

Remember: if they were forced to have solid proof of what they were breaking and entering over, this wouldn't have happened.

Adam Galli

Nov 26, 2010
This is a sad story. Things did not have to happen the way it did. The man was just trying to protect his home. Had they announced that they were police before they started shooting Guerena probably would have dropped his weapon and things would've been solved peacefully. His safety was still on. He had no intent to fire his weapon when he confronted the men in his house. People who are well trained and disiplined in gun control, as soldiers and marines are, don't release their safety until they are ready to fire.

v3n0mat3

Jul 30, 2008
It's sad, isn't it? Things like this happen all the time. If not in this country, then another.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
They sealed the evidence by court order? I am disappointed in you Arizona. That is all I have to say.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
Kopikatsu said:
emeraldrafael said:
SWAT are definitely int he wrong here, regardless of if he was armed or not. You're tellingm e you couldnt have stunned him? And you wouldnt let him see Paramedics? What was he going to do, gut one and use the guy's intestines as a garrote? Oh well, another fatherless young child, another young man's life gone, and another screw up that could have been handled better if five seconds would have been taken to just say hi, whats up.
Stun him...with what? He was at the end of a long, dark hallway and armed with a rifle. Besides, SWAT doesn't generally carry non-lethal weaponry. Also, not only do tazers have ridiculously shitty range, they don't work half the time because the prog doesn't reach the skin or a malfunction, or...well..there are a ton of reasons that tazers are never a good choice.

I'd agree that they should have let the paramedics in, though...but more importantly, the man survived for just over an hour after being shot sixty times. The hell? I know that bullet wounds aren't nearly as lethal as portrayed in the media, but SIXTY TIMES?

Edit: I focused a bit too much on tazers, but as a Police Officer Trainee, I can say that non-lethal weapons very often...aren't.
Most modern *say within the last 15 years* tazers do not need skin penetration and the wattage is more then enough to arc through clothing. the range on most modern pistol tazers would be 15-25 feet. Out of being used by the police force I believe only 50 people have died from tazers in the past 15 years...thats with thousands of uses.

Your instructors must be giving you shitty old tazers if they don't work and dont have good range...

Eri

The Light of Dawn
Feb 21, 2009
Summerstorm said:
HOLY SHIT.

Like two guys both shoot a small burst into the legs, or someone with a taser fires or something?
Not possible. See 3 http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.257862-Things-You-Might-Incorrectly-Believe-About-Guns?page=1

This entire story is just fucked. The police thought he was a danger because he had a freaking assault rifle, and he thought they were burglars or something because they didn't announce themselves. Entire thing is just weak.

Malyc

Bullets... they don't affect me.
Feb 17, 2010
thelonewolf266 said:
And this is why I don't understand all the people on all the threads about guns that think being able to legally own a gun is a good idea.If it was illegal to own a gun they would never have had to shoot him because they thought he was a threat.That said I don't know why they didn't let paramedics in that clearly was a horrible thing to do.Though I doubt his chances of survival would be high if he had been shot 60 times.
Once again proof that more guns does not make a country safer.
Nor does more guns make a country more dangerous. Guns do not have the ability, nor the will to cause crime. They are TOOLS, and can only do what the operator of said gun wants them to. The hammer sitting in your toolbox is not going to randomly start building you a shed one day, nor is it going to bash an innocents skull in. It is an inanimate object, and will sit where it drops until someone picks it up again.

Raijha

Aug 23, 2010
I may be wrong, but I could swear I heard them yell at least once, police open the door, or step back from the door, right between 24 and 31 seconds after the officer knocks. I'm no analyst but it sounds like it. However once the door is open, there is no attempt at communication at all, they just stand there for a few seconds saying nothing then start firing.

Very very sad story with the local station taking the worst approach possible to resolving the situation. If they truly believe they are in the right, they should have no reason to lock down or try to hide anything. It'll be interesting to see how this turns out.

Apr 28, 2008
Summerstorm said:
HOLY SHIT.

A few questions:

1. Do you REALLY need to break down doors and mow your way into houses with several SWAT-Teams to LOOK for some drugs?
Drugs ran by drug traffickers. Probably from Mexico. People known for being heavily armed, and heavily dangerous.

Summerstorm said:
2. I get that if someone appears armed (with something REALLY dangerous as well) you might get trigger happy... but seriously, multiple shots of multiple people. Aren't those guys trained to quickly take someone down? Like two guys both shoot a small burst into the legs, or someone with a taser fires or something? 70 shots in 7 seconds? Mostly all hits? What the HELL? What is this, did they expect him to regenerate the damage?
Yes it is pretty excessive, but in a VERY high risk operation like this, you can't afford to take chances. More people firing more bullets = target(s) get downed faster.

A taser wouldn't have done much, since he was apparently behind something. A table I think, I don't know. Point is, a taser wouldn't have done much.

Same with shooting him in the legs. Plus, shooting people in the legs is one of the WORST things you could do if you want to take someone alive. A leg-shot is one of the least survivable gunshot wounds.

Summerstorm said:
3. WHY does everybody in america has got a fucking ASSAULT RIFLE at home?
He's an ex-marine. Probably a souvenir from his time in the military. Very few people outside of collectors/former military personnel have Assault Rifles.

Summerstorm said:
4. So the police LIED about all that, and switched stories multiple times? This should be a carrer-killer for all involved and prison for a lot of people too i guess.
Yeah, that is pretty fucked up. They lie about the story, then get pissed at the media for drawing attention to the fact that they're lying. And now they refuse to comment at all. The fact that nobody has been held accountable for this massive fuck-up yet is just disgusting.

Bethany Vreeland said:
This is appalling, and yet not really surprising. I plan on moving to Canada as soon as I can support myself, because the USA is kinda f'ed up at the moment.
Canada essentially elected their version of George Bush as their Prime Minister. Not to mention that G20 incident last year...

Canada ain't much better than the US to be honest.

Stublore

Dec 16, 2009
This is a clusterfuck from start to finish.
Not only did the marine not fire any shots, he had the safety on, and was waiting to identify his targets.
The police on the other hand went in guns blazing, and from the report it seems one of these "highly trained" killers actually discharged his own weapon first, which may have lead to the others opening fire assuming the marine had fired.If this is demonstrable of their level of training then I humbly suggest they get better bloody training!
Then the police force released several different versions of the event.
Why was this?
Covering their asses!
Further evidence of this:
"The problem with that explanation is that the search warrants and affidavits weren't sealed until four days after the raids were executed".
Why was it necessary to do so AFTER the raid?
Now if they actually entered the house, are you telling me that these "highly trained" officers after shooting did not continue to search the house?
They let the guy they shot bleed to death, while if there were more actual bad guys in the house they had a whole hour to destroy evidence.
That makes no sense!
They are using the "Wookies on Endor" defence!!
I would be VERY worried if I lived in that area, and it's not the criminals I would fear :(.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
Okay, the SWAT officers definitely overdid it on this one, but on the other hand I see why. As a police officer, particularly SWAT, if a suspect has a weapon you treat them as hostile. My dad was an officer for 30+ years, and I would've wanted him to open fire on some guy waving a gun in his direction. Thankfully, he never had to fire his gun once in all that time.

That said, I can understand the order to open fire. You're confronting a suspect and said suspect has a high-powered weapon. Keep yourself and your teammates safe, fair enough. But it makes no sense to not have allowed medics access for more than an hour!! That's where this falls into the realm of ridiculous.

Jan 27, 2011
I can understand the cops screwing up an investigation and getting the wrong house.
I can understand them shooting at a man in a dark hallway holding an automatic weapon.

What I CANNOT understand or condone is all of this:
1) Denying paramedics access to him for over an hour. Yes, he was probably as good as dead anyway, but at least then you TRIED to save him! Plus, you'd think that they would realize they goofed up when they found the wife and kid in the closet and probably heard from them that it was their husband (not a drug dealer) they shot up.

2) Sealing all the records and evidence only when people start asking hard questions, and saying they're doing it to protect people. And then allowing information that's GOOD for them to be released, but not anything negative for them.

3) Outright LYING (his safety was on, so he COULDN'T have fired!), then backing up and telling MORE lies (...why would they use sirens for a drug raid? The whole point of a raid is the element of surprise!), and then accusing the media and people of spreading misinformation!

What happened here was a terrible mistake, and a terrible tragedy...And some douchy superiors are afraid of bad publicity so they outright lie and try to take advantage of the victim so they don't look bad. I hope the truth comes out and every damn person in management who was involved in the cover up gets AXED. We are supposed to TRUST the damn police. How can anyone in that community trust the cops now?

dystopiaINC

Aug 13, 2010
the AR-15 is the legal semi-auto civilian variant of the m-16 series, i have a teacher who goes hunting with one, and displayed some of his targets from the range. (he's the legal studies teacher)

thelonewolf266

Nov 18, 2010
Malyc said:
thelonewolf266 said:
And this is why I don't understand all the people on all the threads about guns that think being able to legally own a gun is a good idea.If it was illegal to own a gun they would never have had to shoot him because they thought he was a threat.That said I don't know why they didn't let paramedics in that clearly was a horrible thing to do.Though I doubt his chances of survival would be high if he had been shot 60 times.
Once again proof that more guns does not make a country safer.
Nor does more guns make a country more dangerous. Guns do not have the ability, nor the will to cause crime. They are TOOLS, and can only do what the operator of said gun wants them to. The hammer sitting in your toolbox is not going to randomly start building you a shed one day, nor is it going to bash an innocents skull in. It is an inanimate object, and will sit where it drops until someone picks it up again.
I agree that the gun isn't to blame its the person using it.However a hammer can be used for fixing things D.I.Y or whatever yes it can also be used to kill someone but a gun is specifically designed to kill or maim livings things and I personally don't think that they should be available so some people can use them for sport or recreation at the expense of everyone having unlimited access to a deadly weapon.If the people that carried out the attacks at Virginia Tech or the more recent Tuscon Shootings had only been able to get their hands on hammers or knives I think at lot less people would have been hurt and killed.That is why I believe a gun free country is a lot safer and the homicide rates I have seen tend to support this.