Poll: Eye Care: Glasses, Contacts, not needed?

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
MythicMatt said:
Supposed to have glasses. But, when I wear them, I can't actually focus on anything past them.
I had a similar problem when I started wearing glasses. I'd be constantly distracted by the reflection in them. However, with time it passed and I really don't notice them much any more unless I try to pay attention. I actually find that I notice sunglasses MORE because there is a very visible distinction between them and the rest of my vision (darker vs lighter), so I end up constantly adjusting them on reflex.

If you're new-ish to glasses, maybe you just need to get accustomed to wearing them.

Feb 7, 2016
My insurance covers both, so I wear contacts 90% of the time, and the other 10% I wear my glasses at work because (not even kidding) people respect me a bit more. I know. I've tested this theory for two years now.

I'm assuming it's something to do with looking more "intelligent", but we all know there's many stupid people with glasses.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
crimson5pheonix said:
The optometrists I went to when I was in elementary school said I'd be blind by college if I didn't wear glasses. I didn't believe them. As it turns out, they were wrong. Vision still 20/20 :D
The dentist told me I was going to be 6' 2" when I grew up. And here I am, stuck at 5' fucking 10".

Bastard health professionals.

crimson5pheonix

It took 6 months to read my title.
Legacy
Jun 6, 2008
AccursedTheory said:
crimson5pheonix said:
The optometrists I went to when I was in elementary school said I'd be blind by college if I didn't wear glasses. I didn't believe them. As it turns out, they were wrong. Vision still 20/20 :D
The dentist told me I was going to be 6' 2" when I grew up. And here I am, stuck at 5' fucking 10".

But... what does a dentist know about height..

Tautology

Apr 5, 2011
My visual acuity was 20/16 as of my last examination. No reading glasses for this guy.

However, I do need sunglasses when I leave the house. My eyes are photosensitive and can't adjust well to higher levels of light. A sunny day will give me migraine after a short while. I even need to wear them indoors sometimes. Apparently people find it rude, but it's preferable to blinding skull pain.

On the flip-side, I have excellent night vision. It doesn't do me any good, though. There's just too much man-made light flashing about at night.

Yeah, I wear my sunglasses at night. Cue the Corey Hart.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
crimson5pheonix said:
AccursedTheory said:
crimson5pheonix said:

Supposedly, you can tell how tall someone will grow to be to a reasonable degree of certainty with hand or jaw x-rays. Something about how those bits of you grow a bit ahead of the rest of you, so they can extrapolate where you will end up.

Of course, it's not perfect, and they're going to be wrong every once in a while. And it had to be me.

I think, in this case, it's my spines fault. I've had a terrible spine since my early teen years (I pulled my back for the first time when I was 15), so I think I just lost a few inches there.

Tautology

Apr 5, 2011
AccursedTheory said:
crimson5pheonix said:
AccursedTheory said:
crimson5pheonix said:

Supposedly, you can tell how tall someone will grow to be to a reasonable degree of certainty with hand or jaw x-rays. Something about how those bits of you grow a bit ahead of the rest of you, so they can extrapolate where you will end up.

Of course, it's not perfect, and they're going to be wrong every once in a while. And it had to be me.

I think, in this case, it's my spines fault. I've had a terrible spine since my early teen years (I pulled my back for the first time when I was 15), so I think I just lost a few inches there.

Could be worse. When I was 15, my physician said I was pretty short for my age but I would catch up to the other boys soon enough. A decade later, I'm still 5'2" and waiting for that growth spurt.

MythicMatt

Phantom of the forum
Feb 4, 2015
DoPo said:
I have tried, but getting used to glasses is way more hassle than it should be worth IMO. And the fact they go missing within weeks doesn't help.

major_chaos

Ruining videogames
Feb 3, 2011
Had to get glasses when I came close to getting my driver's license renewal denied by failing a standard eye test. I must admit it's a damn slight easier to drive when you can read signs beyond spitting distance. I could have had contacts instead, but I have issues with things going near eyes so that was a resounding "no" from me.

Poetic Nova

Pulvis Et Umbra Sumus
Jan 24, 2012
Glasses for sure.

My eyes can't do without anymore; not wearing them means I lose focus entirely.
Besides, I look hideous without them >.<

krystalphoenix

Sep 5, 2015
Glasses all the way.
I've been told multiple times that my eyes are far too dry to take contacts. I'd need to be putting in eye drops in every hour or so to stop irritation from lack of fluid around my eyeballs.
So contacts are more hassle than they're worth for me.

I'm interested in surgery, but I think I look odd without glasses now.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Glasses from the time I get up to the time I go to bed. To make matters worse I have a lazy right eye. I would fully support getting that eye replaced with an artificial one when we make them that can actually see.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Tautology said:
AccursedTheory said:
crimson5pheonix said:
AccursedTheory said:
crimson5pheonix said:

Could be worse. When I was 15, my physician said I was pretty short for my age but I would catch up to the other boys soon enough. A decade later, I'm still 5'2" and waiting for that growth spurt.
I was the opposite. I was absolutely colossal from 5-14. 5' 9" at 14. 15 years later, and I've gotten an inch.

Jan 27, 2011
I have glasses. Had 'em since I was about 14.

I was horrified I'd look bad with them on. Turns out they weren't all that bad on me.

Now? I think I look WAY better with them on. I look alright with them on or off, but I think they add a lot to my face. :p

That said, I wish I didn't need them. They get a little tedious when a tiny smudge makes seeing difficult, and it makes cosplaying or other stuff much more tricky since the glasses are so essential to me now. :(

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
I am actually quite surprised by the amount of glasses-wearers in this poll. No way did I expect it to beat out 20/20, or at the very least, by this much.

Personally, I don't wear glasses, though, I haven't had my eyes tested for a VERY long time, soooooooooo, pffff, who knows.

stringtheory

Dec 18, 2011
Don't have glasses...yet. Both of my parents need them so I'm expecting to need them eventually. Haven't noticed any vision problems though.

Terminalchaos said:
When I've done TAing and tutoring, my glasses directly affected how useful or informative my help was viewed as. When I don't wear glasses apparently I'm a "lot cuter." With glasses, people treat me at least as an equal. I'll stick with the glasses while wishing I didn't need to.
Looks like I might be interested in getting glasses sooner rather then later then...

Dirkie

Feb 3, 2009
Glasses here, mostly because I really don't like contacts and laser eye removal is a bit too much.
Also, my left eye doesn't work too well, so depth perception and ball games are a bit out of my league.

09philj

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 31, 2015
I have acute astigmatism and need rather thick spectacles to be able to read most text and see clear shapes.