Poll: Fake Geek Girl Meme

acosn

Sep 11, 2008
Angie7F said:
matthew_lane said:
So in conclusion i have to say this is not an attack on women, its an atack on people who are pretenders, social leeches who have latched on to our chosen fandoms.
i agree to this.
Right now in Japan, geeky is cool, and in many fashion magazines, "cool" people mention how they also like "geeky" things just so that they sound "cool". ( does that make sense?)

kinda like, "look at me, i m so fashionable, cool, and get laid all the time but still understand geeky things which makes me eclectic and openminded".

Those type of people are getting bashed by the "real geeks", in a similar way the girl geeks are elsewhere.

I guess the bottom line is that geeky people dont like half ass geeks.
Geeky is not cool in Japan. The word associated with nerds and that entire subculture (otaku) is an insult, and not in the endearing way that terms like nerd and geek have become in the States. It projects the image of an overweight slob who's socially maladjusted, can't hold down a job, let alone find one, and spends the staggering majority of his or her day in front of a screen.

If anything is popular, its an image generated by mainstream culture that essentially wrings everything interesting out of the subculture and sterilizes it for mass market consumption.

The general loathing of people who pay lip service to a subculture without really understanding it isn't mutually exclusive to nerd culture. It's as old as humans themselves. The fact that nerd culture is so entirely tied to the internet only supercharges it.

DoPo said:
acosn said:
TL;DR Science Fiction doesn't merely refer to when the story takes place.
That is true, however science fiction actually needs (OK, some of the needs, at least) new technology, unavailable at the moment, and some results of using it. Often it's also set in the future with large-ish changes to the world and/or the governing bodies. Firefly covers all this - new technology, changes brought tot he world, political shifts. Hence it's science fiction. As AdumbroDeus said, you're talking about the difference between hard and soft sci-fi, not between "sci-fi" and "not sci-fi". By comparison, it's like saying that a green apple is different to a red apple - while true, the both are still apples.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and 1984 are science fiction, too, as much as cyberpunk and space operas.
It's still very much soft sci-fi. In terms of everything you listed its not anything you haven't seen before, and several times before at that. What the technology, and the changes it induces to society end up becoming both because of that, and also because it's a character driven narrative, is merely a vehicle that brings the plot from one place to another.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
I've seen pretty good examples of the meme in real life before but its obviously not all females in the culture. However it does happen enough to take notice, and more often with ladies then gents. I usually only throw someone in the "geek poser" category when they advertize their "geekness" but don't know really basic shit, think said basic shit is "weird" or think really common stuff is "geeky".

On a side note I don't consider myself a geek. I do geeky stuff for sure but I don't fit the stereotype at all.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
acosn said:
DoPo said:
acosn said:
TL;DR Science Fiction doesn't merely refer to when the story takes place.
That is true, however science fiction actually needs (OK, some of the needs, at least) new technology, unavailable at the moment, and some results of using it. Often it's also set in the future with large-ish changes to the world and/or the governing bodies. Firefly covers all this - new technology, changes brought tot he world, political shifts. Hence it's science fiction. As AdumbroDeus said, you're talking about the difference between hard and soft sci-fi, not between "sci-fi" and "not sci-fi". By comparison, it's like saying that a green apple is different to a red apple - while true, the both are still apples.

20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and 1984 are science fiction, too, as much as cyberpunk and space operas.
It's still very much soft sci-fi. In terms of everything you listed its not anything you haven't seen before, and several times before at that. What the technology, and the changes it induces to society end up becoming both because of that, and also because it's a character driven narrative, is merely a vehicle that brings the plot from one place to another.
And I disputed the hardness of the setting, when exactly? The original statement (not even made by you) was that it was barely sci-fi. Which is stupid thing to say, since it is sci-fi and there isn't a criteria that can tell you how much of sci-fi something is.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
matthew_lane said:
I call them like i see them & frankly at this exact point in human history this point really isn't up for debate:
uhhh...yes...YES it is actually

[quote/]There is a giant set of social rules in which women are self entitled, expecting boons well beyond there actual needs. Its actually rooted in female nature & hundreds of thousands of years worth of same group preference.[/quote]
hahahaha......NO

[i/]my veiws arent sexist!...science says so[/i] <- NO your talking BS

your obviously conviced that women are entitled, I don;t know what to say other than my alarm bells are ringing, and that I don;t apreciate the implication that I'm entitled...

[quote/] Thats not a grey area, its pretty clear cut. For instance if you have a youtube video where you are all "oh high, i'm a gamer girl, you can tell be my thick rimmed glassess... Also look at how awesome my boobs look" it becomes pretty clear what your overiding motive is & its not being known for your mind.[/quote]

my POINT is it isnt always clear cut, if I dare mention my gender or if I were attractive then I might get shit for it...again people veiw thease things different

[quote/]I'm sorry, but thats a derailing attempt. Geekdom is one place where ones looks mean absolutely nothing,[/quote]

*snrrrrrrrrk* whaaaaaa???....oh please, if looks ment nothing thing thease so called "posers" wouldnt be abel to get away with their shit, because some guys encourage that kind of crap

plus booth babes wouldnt be a thing

[quote/]where its the content of ones mind that is important.[/quote]
unless the content of that mind thinks the star wars prequels were good or a concole is better than a PC (not point there..just a joke)

[quote/]As for you claiming that women get questioned simply for being female, [b/]i'm sorry again, [/b][/quote]

no need to keep apologising, I forgive you

[quote/]but what you've just tried to do is make a presuppositonal claim. There has been no evidence at all that women get geek checked more then men, or on the basis of being female & thats exactly what i said before.[/quote]
no evidence? says who?...why dont you ask some girls?

[quote/]Women predominately have such a level of self entitlement in the form of own group preference & self victimisation,[/quote]
more bullshit....with this kind of Bias you probably wouldnt see the other angle

[quote/]that any woman being geek checked is apaprently immediately being targetted for being a woman. In truth she is being geeked checked because her geek cred seems patchy, or just completely faked.[/quote]
depending on the induvidual case her being a women often has alot to do with it...if she walks into a room her "geek cred" is question by virtue of her being female...now that matters is how hung up on this BS people get

[quote/]You know why people "geek check?" Its for exactly the same reason sports fans ask "so who do you support?" Its to guage your own level of investment in this person on a shared interest level.[/quote]

oh? I thought it was an attack on women/sarcasm

yeah, I know...but theres a difference between "so what games do you like?" to "poser! girls don;t like games! your just doing it for attention!" and some peoples minds cant be changed

[quote/]
Where as a gamer, who is female but doesn't need to advertise that is literally there to kick your arse at whatever game you are currently playing. An this again goes back to female self group prefernce. Its also the reason why i hate groups like Frag Dolls. A group that pretends to be all about inclusivity & then as soon as they were accepted immediately started excluding other players along gendered lines.[/quote]
much like "gaymer-con" and other things somtimes minoritys liek to have thease groups, I see nothing wrong with that

[quote/]Of course it is. Its like me dressing up like a nun & then walking around telling people what god wants. Or pretending to be gay, to hit on women.[/quote]
no..its jsut annoying twats being annoying twats...theres only so much you can do

The fact that you dislike Tolkien at the very least means you hold what i can only assume is an opinion based on previous experience with his work: The pretender doesn't even have this, they are pretending.

[quote/]Do you need tattoo or gang initiations to be a supporter of a particular sports team? No? Then why would you think we would need them? Our sub cultures identity is built around a shared history, a shared desire for something.[/quote]
it was a joke....you were making that crap sound alot more serious than it should be

[quote/]
sure, because nothing makes a problem go away like sticking your head in the ground & hoping it will go away... I mean look at all the times that worked successfully... Oh wait, thats never been a successful way of dealing with a problem & lets be clear here, pretenders are a problem.[/quote]

honestly though...how angry can you get/be at "fakes"? it seems about as pointless as complaing about how bd pop music is

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
matthew_lane said:
i'm sorry vault, but no. Of course women are self entitlited... They had over a hundred thousand years of evolutionary psychology behind there self entitlement & with pretty good reason: Because it was vital for there survival as individuals & ours as a species. Heck same group preference alone is well established by both evoultionary psychologists and biologists... Heck we still see it in species which still function under the tournament model of social behaviour (silver backs & ridge backs for instance).
oh look...more pseudo science bullshit

I don't belive as a whole women are more self entitled than men...all people are self entitled in one way or another

if your a minority OR if you feel your not being treated right then making yourself heard or taking action is not self entitlment...though mabye it seem slike self entitlment to people who (lets face it) have alot of thing geared towards them (as in most entertainment..is geared towards white males first and foremost..though it is still very general)

[quote/]Its also the reason why every single article you will see about women in geek culture are always, without fail about women being victims, men being monsters & making a big deal about modest accomplishments of women like they had just succeeded in fighting off some sort of monsterous conspiracy.[/quote]

your just exagerating now, if you honestly think that women think "men are monsters" by default or are that serious then youve got the wrong end of the stick..its typical really...

[quote/]Sure & if i get out of bed today i may step on a bug which cause a chain reaction & will cause mutant flying pigs by the end of the day. See what you just did is called pleading the question, its a logical fallacy where you declare something possible & therefore occuring. Its essentially a presuppositional statement, but stated as a possibility, rather then a certainty, as to sound more reasonable: It is not reasonable.[/quote]
oh for fucks sake...its damn well true...ask anyone

I;m not saying it ALWAYS happens or its some epidemic but its pretty frigging clear if spend any reasonable time on the internetz its a thing...even a common thing

[quote/]Except they can't get away with there shit, which is why we are having this discussion: Remember how this topic is about people getting sick of the pretenders who pretend to be geeky & how people are getting geek checked? That would be the self correcting mechanism we are using so these people CANT get away with this shit :)[/quote]
what? now you saying it ALWAYS happens that way? (kind of reminds me of that "logical fallacy" you just pointed out)

no, there are nerds out there who do nothing but encourage that kind of crap, just as there are the ones who dont/hate it....

thats kind of like me sayign EVEYONE loves mass effect which I know isnt true at all

[quote/]Booth babes aren't part of geek culture, any more then you invite your couch over to watch the big screen tv. They are the furniture, the accoutrements of the culture, kind of like dice, beta releases of games & booth owners with hearts full of broken dreams.[/quote]

they kind of are in that they are a "thing" (and a controversial thing) related to conventions, and for every person who dissaporves theres always the ones who will leer and gwak at teh booth babes, but who knows..they may very well become obsolete

[quote/]/facepalm. What you just did was call for a negative coralary, please don't do that. The burden of proof for your position is on you, not on the people who are opposing the validty of your world view. Burden of proof is always on the person making the positive assertion, because until you plead your case, with actual data, your opposition cannot refute that data (because you have not provided it).

As for asking some women, thats not reliable data: any group with an invested interst in there own group preference is not going to yield any valid data, but a group with invested interst in there own group preference & a social narrative of poor us, being victimised by them big bad menz, is most assuredly not going to yield any real results.[/quote]

my point was you seem to compeltly reject the Idea that gender has ANY bearing on how females are treated in the "geek culutre" which I call BS....aksing females may not be as legit as a survey but you may get some Idea of how soem have been treated...

[quote/]I see you added /sarcasm to your statement there, but honestly if you go through how many times you've immediately assumed that its an attack, i think you'll find that you could probably remove the /sarcasm section.[/quote]
if somone says to me "what games do you like?" as not only small talk but also a way of sussing me out then its not an attack...

if somone outright acussed me of being a poser then its an attack

[quote/]Except that if the person is a pretender, they should be called out. An if you can do me a favour, just go back and reread the above statement: "girls don;t like games." In a single sentence you have moved from someone calling out a pontential pretender, to it being an attack on "girls." Note the S at the end of the word "girl," this S makes the word girl go from being a singular entity to a plural group.

Remember when i said in my intial statement that women in our society are so predominately self entitled that they mistake an attack on pretenders who are "A" woman to be an attack on all women? Thats what you just did. This is "same group preference" i was talking about & its what you just tried to do by straw-manning the topic with your above quote.[/quote]
the reason I am talking about girls alone is because your under the Idea that women are entitled by nature and (as I said) your convinced that ebing female has nothing to do with it...that guys have NO preconceptions in regards to how they veiw a girl and weather or not they think shes a real geek or not

that all this us "us girls being all entitled" which is what I'm arguing against

[quote/]Except its not pointless, or without reason. Have you heard of memetic theory? Meme theory holds that some ideas are like a virus infecting people who then become carriers, passing it on to others. When this happens with a medium, or popular brand it runs away like wildfire, usually making something huge, before it collapses. An after it collapses, the people who were infected with the meme look back on there previous infection with derision and embarrasment.

An now its geek chic` that is popular... An so thats why we geek check. Consider geek checking the auto-immune system of our particualr interest groups.[/quote]

you cant stop things from being popular, you can get as angry as you want about "fakes" but it will change nothing

sub cultures can prevail...regardless of their fall from populaity amongst the mainstream

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
Mortai Gravesend said:
matthew_lane said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Why do sexists talk about 'evolutionary psychology' but fail to cite actual papers? Can you answer that? Is it really too much to ask for you to actually back what you say up with evidence? Or is that how you just lie about whatever shit you liek?
becuase if i were to cite the source you
A. Wouldn't bother to read them
B. Wouldn't be able to understand them even if someone did cite them for you.
C. Would be required to read an entire body of work rather then a sound bite.
A sad cop out. Why should anyone take you more seriously than someone with no evidence? Is it really beyond you to see how you look exactly the same?

If you want the entry level stuff, i would suggest you read & watch the lectures by Robert Sapolsky, of the Stanford Department of Biology.
Which is not support of your specific claim. Dodge more.

I suppose i could also give you the collected works of Sergey Gavrilets, professor of ecology and evolutionary biology at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, but you'd kind of need to have read & understood the work of Sapolsky first.
You seem to have an issue with comprehending how to cite something. Hint: You don't cite the entire collected works because they're not all relevant to the claim.

Gavrilets work on the transition from tournament model to a post tournament model is inspired & pretty much unqeustioned in academic fields.
And?

So if you want to read through the entirety of there body of work & you want more, just come back & i'll give you more reading material, but lets be honest, you aren't going to go & read through either of there academic papers. You want a sound bite & thats not how science works.
No, I want an actual source that supports what you say about women being 'self-entitled'. Not this pathetic cop out you have.

So to answer your question of why do sexists talk about "evolution" i'll aks you a different but similiar question "why do heretics talk about evolution?" An the answer is simple: They don't, they talk about demonstrable evidence that upsets the apple cart of doctrine.
Except of course you don't have evidence. You're babbling based on your word alone. You're a joke.
http://healthland.time.com/2012/05/29/the-ancient-sexual-revolution-that-may-have-spurred-human-monogamy/

Here you go. I'm not condoning anything matthew_lane has said, but I thought I'd help get you on his level (which is probably further down than you'd ever want to go).

Stasisesque

Nov 25, 2008
Mortai Gravesend said:
Stasisesque said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
matthew_lane said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
Why do sexists talk about 'evolutionary psychology' but fail to cite actual papers? Can you answer that? Is it really too much to ask for you to actually back what you say up with evidence? Or is that how you just lie about whatever shit you liek?
becuase if i were to cite the source you
A. Wouldn't bother to read them
B. Wouldn't be able to understand them even if someone did cite them for you.
C. Would be required to read an entire body of work rather then a sound bite.
A sad cop out. Why should anyone take you more seriously than someone with no evidence? Is it really beyond you to see how you look exactly the same?

If you want the entry level stuff, i would suggest you read & watch the lectures by Robert Sapolsky, of the Stanford Department of Biology.
Which is not support of your specific claim. Dodge more.

I suppose i could also give you the collected works of Sergey Gavrilets, professor of ecology and evolutionary biology at the University of Tennessee in Knoxville, but you'd kind of need to have read & understood the work of Sapolsky first.
You seem to have an issue with comprehending how to cite something. Hint: You don't cite the entire collected works because they're not all relevant to the claim.

Gavrilets work on the transition from tournament model to a post tournament model is inspired & pretty much unqeustioned in academic fields.
And?

So if you want to read through the entirety of there body of work & you want more, just come back & i'll give you more reading material, but lets be honest, you aren't going to go & read through either of there academic papers. You want a sound bite & thats not how science works.
No, I want an actual source that supports what you say about women being 'self-entitled'. Not this pathetic cop out you have.

So to answer your question of why do sexists talk about "evolution" i'll aks you a different but similiar question "why do heretics talk about evolution?" An the answer is simple: They don't, they talk about demonstrable evidence that upsets the apple cart of doctrine.
Except of course you don't have evidence. You're babbling based on your word alone. You're a joke.
http://healthland.time.com/2012/05/29/the-ancient-sexual-revolution-that-may-have-spurred-human-monogamy/

Here you go. I'm not condoning anything matthew_lane has said, but I thought I'd help get you on his level (which is probably further down than you'd ever want to go).
Mmm, interesting read, but how exactly does it relate to his talk about women being 'self-entitled' etc?
Just the bit about women preferring men who provide more for them. That is it, that is the only thing that supports his claim.

The men who couldn't win out with strength or intelligence were forced to essentially 'buy' the females with food, shelter, whatever they could provide - and the women in turn started to accept only those who could do so. As long as the man kept providing, the woman would remain faithful. If the man stopped providing, the woman would turn elsewhere.