Poll: Father in rural Germany finds his young son likes to wear dresses; does the same to show solidarity.

Angie7F

WiseGurl
Nov 11, 2011
Wasnt Angelina Jolie and Brad Pitts kids wearing dresses too?

I wouldnt care what my son wears.
plus, in theory, if girls can wear dresses and pants, why cant guys wear skirts too?
Of couse, i would give a double take if i saw a guy in skirts on the street, but I would let them be because that is just their choice, and I applaud their courage to be free.

And also there is this :)
i can never figure out how to embed youtube...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVwJrAr7GkY

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
el_kabong said:
The Plunk said:
I'd come to a compromise, and make him wear wizard robes.
Ninja'd. In all honesty, I would not support my son wearing dresses at that age. Reason being is that I'm definitely a "nurture-ist" (nature vs. nurture argument...look it up). snip
http://www.slate.com/articles/health_and_science/medical_examiner/2004/06/gender_gap.html

And here is what I would do:
1. Let the kid wear dresses, he is only 5 and at that age he does not need to be told:
"OMG YOU RAGING HOMOFAGGOT FOR WEARING A DRESZZ U ARE DIHONOURING THE HOLE FAMILY"
If he still wants to wear dresses as time progresses, then I would do the following:
Teach him self-defense and martial-arts.
If any bully should ever decide to pick a fight upon him, he will be ready.
And after delivering a sweet jumpkick to the bullies face with the dress flowing freely behind him, followed by a bitchin' roundhouse-kick right to the kisser, no-one would ever bully him again and he would be known as badass-bully-beatdown-skirt

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
Baron von Blitztank said:
As evil as it sounds, I'd probably save the father. Yes it means I just sent a child to its death but with the father still alive he can easily produce another one.

Wait... What thread is this?
This is the bacon vs steak thread, I think you might be in the wrong place!

crazyfills

Nov 12, 2010
I?d let him he?s not doing anything wrong or hurting anyone and really saying that males/females can only wear certain types of clothing is just stupid and childish anyway.

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
Calibanbutcher said:
What if he has no interest in learning how to fight? Would it be okay to just let him be himself, even if it made him a defenseless pariah in the eyes of his peers?

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
excalipoor said:
Calibanbutcher said:
What if he has no interest in learning how to fight? Would it be okay to just let him be himself, even if it made him a defenseless pariah in the eyes of his peers?
Then I would teach him to be a great orator and equip him with the necessary vocal skills to stop his opponents with the sheer force of his voice, whilst also teaching him to confuse them with the choice of his words.
And have him train a lot of cardio, let's see them beat him if they can not catch him.

And I would force him to pick up at least the basic principles of self-defense anyways.
It's good to know something like that.

el_kabong

Shark Rodeo Champion
Mar 18, 2010
Calibanbutcher said:
el_kabong said:
The Plunk said:
Ninja'd. In all honesty, I would not support my son wearing dresses at that age. Reason being is that I'm definitely a "nurture-ist" (nature vs. nurture argument...look it up). snip
Let the kid wear dresses, he is only 5 and at that age he does not need to be told:
"OMG YOU RAGING HOMOFAGGOT FOR WEARING A DRESZZ U ARE DIHONOURING THE HOLE FAMILY"
Yeah...because that's what I said, right? Ah, outlandish hyperbole...where would internet trolls be without you? But, I guess you saw what you wanted to...

But on to your article post. Since you didn't add any feedback to why the article was posted, I'll assume that it was to strengthen my point that it's not good for parents to reinforce gender roles that are not appropriate for their child. It's a shame how medical practitioners and parents could be so short-sighted about human cognitive and emotional development.

Second, while I don't encourage violence among children, I thank you for providing an elaboration on the "Boy Named Sue" metaphor. That your child would gain acceptance only by being a ruffian and that violence is the only means to solve his problems.

maddawg IAJI

I prefer the term "Zomguard"
Feb 12, 2009
Syzygy23 said:
Whaaaaat? How did you manage to swap genders? Experimental retrovirus gene therapy? I didn't realize our technology had advanced to that point yet.
...Gender isn't physical, its mental. Your sex is physical. Your gender is based on your personality and the characteristics you show. For example, a tomboy has a MASCULINE gender, but a female sex.

As for who we would blame if he got bullied, well, we'd blame the bullies. Seriously, who else would we blame? The fucking dad? For what!? Encouraging his son to live life as he wants?

Besides, the kids fucking 5. He'll grow out of it and if he doesn't, well, who cares if he doesn't grow out of it.

rob_simple

Elite Member
Aug 8, 2010
I've worn dresses on occasion (if only to irritate some female friends by looking better in them than they do) and they are comfy as shit.

The only problem I have with them is, much like my kilted experiences, it's a nightmare trying to take a piss.

Calibanbutcher

Elite Member
Nov 29, 2009
el_kabong said:
Calibanbutcher said:
el_kabong said:
The Plunk said:
Let the kid wear dresses, he is only 5 and at that age he does not need to be told:
Yeah...because that's what I said, right? Ah, outlandish hyperbole...where would internet trolls be without you? But, I guess you saw what you wanted to...

But on to your article post. Since you didn't add any feedback to why the article was posted, I'll assume that it was to strengthen my point that it's not good for parents to reinforce gender roles that are not appropriate for their child. It's a shame how medical practitioners and parents could be so short-sighted about human cognitive and emotional development.

Second, while I don't encourage violence among children, I thank you for providing an elaboration on the "Boy Named Sue" metaphor. That your child would gain acceptance only by being a ruffian and that violence is the only means to solve his problems.

I was only posting the article in response to you, the "OMGGGGGDISHONORUAAAAA" was more of a general response.
And that is making a veery far fetched assumption about my kid.
He should not suddenly be friend with the bullies, I am expecting my kid to find good friends by himself without having to beat'em up.
But he should be able to defend himself against assault.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
With all the bad fathers out there and all the discussions about how some have punished their kids and how we would hypothetically punish our kids this thing really made me smile. Seeing a father being completely understanding and even supporting his kid this much, I'd say this is a great dad.

I'm not sure what I would do in his shoes, but I really want to say that I could be supportive, but I would probably not let him wear dresses all the time since dresses are unpractical.

Rumpsteak

Nov 7, 2011
Obviously I can't discuss this in great detail knowing as little as I do of the issues at work in this case. In my experience however it's not that unusual for boys of his approximate age to prefer clothing associated more with the opposite sex. In any case the boy is really lucky to have a father who loves him as much as his dad does.

dvd_72

Jun 7, 2010
While I admire the fathers stance, I'm not quite sure I'd be up for doing the same. While I don't agree with the whole "father works, mother stays at home" gender situation, and I wouldn't encourage that in my child either, I do understand that society sees genders in a certain light and that I have been brought up in it. While I'm not proud of it, and acknowledge that it is not wholly correct, I am made uncomfortable by transvestites and cross dressers.

I guess to sum it up, good for you sir! You're a braver man than I.

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
I wouldn't give two shits about it, the kid's 5, hell I'd probably have his ass in a kilt anyhow, they're more comfortable than shorts and pants during the hotter seasons anyway, and who praytell fucks with a man in a kilt?

Mr F.

Jul 11, 2012
To those who say they would stop the child "For their own good" I say that whilst I disagree with your standpoint, I understand where you are coming from totally.

That kid might have a hard couple of years. I assume that once he starts to realise he is dressing like a girl and not like a boy it might begin to have an affect on him and he may or may not choose to wear something different. But you know what? Back in the day (And I am referring to the medieval times and whatnot) there was little distinction between children and what they wore, both male and female kids would just wear dress-like smock things. This kid is not as much subverting current social norms with modern ones as regressing to older social norms.

Which makes total sense, I mean, dresses allow for more movement, are more comfortable, in hot weather they are less constricting, bleh, I can understand why a little boy would want to wear one over the usual shorts and t-shirt. I hope he does not get that much shit for it.

miketehmage said:
"Is forcing a conformity to baseless gender roles a lesser evil than letting your son get used to a choice he doesn't yet understand the consequences of?"

In my opinion, yes it is. Quite frankly boys shouldn't wear dresses. At that age he probably doesn't fully understand what he is doing but if he continues those habits he's going to get alot of shit for it.

Now, if he was older and made the decision that he wanted to wear a dress, then fair enough. But I don't think that at this young age he should be wearing one, and I don't think the father should be encouraging it. Because lets face it, trousers aren't that bad and the dress probably isn't worth the shit he'll get if he continues this way.
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?um=1&hl=en&safe=off&sa=N&biw=1366&bih=643&authuser=0&tbm=isch&tbnid=DsQuYIzWLXiACM:&imgrefurl=http://www.shiachat.com/forum/index.php%3F/topic/234915498-thobe-dishdasha/&imgurl=http://www.shiachat.com/forum/uploads/post-19560-1162415590_thumb.jpg&w=400&h=301&ei=I1w-ULXMGq_R4QTXkIHIDg&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=889&vpy=318&dur=7&hovh=195&hovw=259&tx=148&ty=160&sig=107781116309792703820&page=1&tbnh=120&tbnw=160&start=0&ndsp=23&ved=1t:429,r:21,s:0,i:140

I dunno how to actually link to pictures. But... Well... Derp.

One mans dress is another mans comfortable attire. There is nothing wrong with this kid dressing how he feels comfortable. And yes, the father is being "Brave" and once the kid grows up, they too will be brave.

Heres another example of a brave kid.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/8504552/Boy-wears-skirt-to-school-in-protest-against-discrimination.html

Fuck societal norms. Wear what is comfortable, not what people tell you to wear. I mean, I am not saying public nudity is a good idea (Immediately jumping to someone straw-manning my argument and countering it) but there is nothing wrong with wearing a dress, nothing "Offensive" about this kid wearing a dress.

Speaking as someone who used to wear dishdashas (For formal things. When I was about 8-12. It was the national dress of the country I lived in.) I know it is much more comfortable in a hot area to wear something loose that breaths and allows for more movement.

Would you call out an arab wearing their national dress because it simply aint right? Would you say it is not manly? Would there be any issue at all? No. Because for them, that is utterly normal, despite it being roughly the same as a shapeless dress with long sleeves. It is utterly masculine.

I have gone off topic so I will tldr and go and get ready to go out.

tldr;

Nothing wrong with this kid wearing what is comfortable. It aint offensive to anyone and more power to him. That father is the ultimate dad and I would shake his hand. I only hope that teachers will also protect him from what bullying may or may not arise; there is nothing un-christian about a little boy dressing as little boys used to in days gone by.

Matthew Kjonaas

Jun 28, 2011
Abandon4093 said:
To be honest, at 5 he's probably going to grow out of it anyway. It's likely not an expression of his gender so much as it is he likes the breeze.
and it they still like the feel but do not like wearing the whole dress that is was skirts and kilts are for then when a person is like "You are a girl for wearing a skirt!" just respond "it is a kilt because underwear is optional." and before I go I would like to bring up that both genders never voted on what genders can wear which type of clothing.

excalipoor

Jan 16, 2011
Mr F. said:
Back in the day (And I am referring to the medieval times and whatnot) there was little distinction between children and what they wore, both male and female kids would just wear dress-like smock things. This kid is not as much subverting current social norms with modern ones as regressing to older social norms.
How is that even remotely relevant?
Mr F. said:
Fuck societal norms. Wear what is comfortable, not what people tell you to wear. I mean, I am not saying public nudity is a good idea (Immediately jumping to someone straw-manning my argument and countering it) but there is nothing wrong with wearing a dress, nothing "Offensive" about this kid wearing a dress.
For the record, I agree with you there. But it doesn't matter if you believe that, it doesn't matter if I believe that, it doesn't matter if the kid or the the father believes that. What matters is what everyone else thinks. A little kid shouldn't have to take shit for what he wears, but wearing a dress he will. Here's what The Rock has to say about this:
Mr F. said:
Would you call out an arab wearing their national dress because it simply aint right? Would you say it is not manly? Would there be any issue at all? No. Because for them, that is utterly normal, despite it being roughly the same as a shapeless dress with long sleeves. It is utterly masculine.
You just answered your own question. It fits the societal norm. A man or a boy wearing a sundress in Germany does not. Please don't act like wearing a kilt (or hell, a wizard's robe) is the same thing either, because it's not.

Frankly, I think it's just fine that the father is letting him wear a dress. It's not like people could even tell if it's a boy or a girl in the first place. It doesn't mean anything. However, actively encouraging it seems to me like it's just asking for trouble in the future.