Poll: Favorite Dragon Age: Origins Character

Thomas Barnsley

Mar 8, 2012
Most people like Alistair, and I would have agreed until when you have to deal with Logain. He just becomes immature at that point, which is okay but not when it is fully directed at killing someone...

LostCrusader

Lurker in the shadows
Feb 3, 2011
I must have really just loved the tanks because my three favorites were Shale, Alistair, and Sten in that order. Shale had the awesome story and the fear of birds, Alistair had the sense of humor, and I liked Sten's back story.

eimatshya

Nov 20, 2011
I voted for Shale, but Alister was pretty good, too. I've never really understood people's love for Morrigan. She always struck me as whiny and short sighted. She basically throws a tantrum anytime you do anything that isn't completely chaotic, even when it seems like tactically a wise decision.

LetalisK

May 5, 2010
Tie between Leliana and Alistair. I find the former more interesting and the latter the funniest member. I don't get the infatuation with Morrigan. She's less funny and more bitchy and the only time she is funny is when she's talking with another party member. Not that I dislike her as a character, she's a great character. Just don't like her as a person.

Miyenne

May 16, 2013
I voted Alistair because I love my husband... But Shale is hilarious and I love her. And Oghren, oh I love him too.

The_Lost_King

Oct 7, 2011
Shanicus said:
I was a big fan of Sten and Shale - they both had very interesting outlooks on the world, good character storylines and some pretty great lines between them.

The_Lost_King said:
It is a hard choice between Leliana who is my waifu and Alistair who is my bro. Hmmm. YEah I don't know.

Also if anyone votes for the secret character they are insane. I don't understand how you can like him. Especially choosing him over Alistair.
Well, in the secret characters defense, they're motives and that are presented in such a way that they're understandable - they were doing what they honestly thought was best, and when shit hits the fan and everything goes wrong they accept what they did wrong and work to make up for their mistakes. So while he's not the 'barrel of laughs' all the other characters are, he's at least remorseful of what he's done and is a very sympathetic character.

And I mean, Alistair's hissy fit over even considering taking the Secret Companion doesn't exactly win him any points.
Azure-Supernova said:
The_Lost_King said:
Also if anyone votes fro the secret character they are insane. I don't understand how you can like him. Especially choosing him over Alistair.
Because when I played my Warden I purposefully romanced Alistair, only to later tell him I was in no way interested and lost alllllllllll the affection also because with secret character:

Loghain's a motherfucking badass, he's just trying to do what he thinks is right and I agreed with 95% of his decisions. I planned to do a play through where I let Alistair kill him, but in the meantime I read Stolen Throne and ended up liking Loghain even more and despising Alistair for being a whiny little ***** (semi-serious, his disapproval dialogue is much more amusing).
Well you can see why Alistair wouldn't want him. I mean look at what he did. Ok I'm sick of trying to be non-spoilery.
I mean seriously Logaihn left the Grey Wardens to die. With Logaihn's army the Grey wardens had a chance. Including Alistair's father figure. If someone murdered your father would you be all that happy about them joining an esteemed group of warriors and not get punished for what he did(almost destroying all hope of defeating the Darkspawn in Ferelden).

Yes, letting all the grey wardens die is so understandable when they are the only ones who can push back the blight. There have been 4(?) blights and all have only been able to be pushed back by the grey wardens, for such a great tactician he could learn a thing or two about the past. So what do we do? Oh let's just let them die because I don't trust Orlesians of which these particular Grey Wardens aren't.

edit: Ok now I know about the whole jeopardizing Fereldan becoming its own nation. Still what ia the point of trying to save it from that, when with the darkspawn it has a relly good chance of not becoming a fucking nation at all. Since when has asking fir help ever made a nation not its own nation anymore? America helped Britain from the Germans.Is Britain now part of the USA, no. Is the USA part of France and Spain because they helped them against the British, no. Now I am going to think maybe he thought they would see his army was weakend nd would take over. Well if the Orlesians fight against the Darkspawn too their armies would be weakened as well. I really don't see Logaihn's decisions as sensable in the least bit

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
The_Lost_King said:
Well you can see why Alistair wouldn't want him. I mean look at what he did. Ok I'm sick of trying to be non-spoilery.
I mean seriously Logaihn left the Grey Wardens to die. With Logaihn's army the Grey wardens had a chance. Including Alistair's father figure. If someone murdered your father would you be all that happy about them joining an esteemed group of warriors and not get punished for what he did(almost destroying all hope of defeating the Darkspawn in Ferelden).

Yes, letting all the grey wardens die is so understandable when they are the only ones who can push back the blight. There have been 4(?) blights and all have only been able to be pushed back by the grey wardens, for such a great tactician he could learn a thing or two about the past. So what do we do? Oh let's just let them die because I don't trust Orlesians of which these particular Grey Wardens aren't.

edit: Ok now I know about the whole jeopardizing Fereldan becoming its own nation. Still what ia the point of trying to save it from that, when with the darkspawn it has a relly good chance of not becoming a fucking nation at all. Since when has asking fir help ever made a nation not its own nation anymore? America helped Britain from the Germans.Is Britain now part of the USA, no. Is the USA part of France and Spain because they helped them against the British, no. Now I am going to think maybe he thought they would see his army was weakend nd would take over. Well if the Orlesians fight against the Darkspawn too their armies would be weakened as well. I really don't see Logaihn's decisions as sensable in the least bit
It sucks only being able to reply in spoiler boxes -_-

But at this point, surface skirmishes with the Darkspawn are so frequent and it's been so long since they've seen a blight, no-one really wants to believe it is one. Cailan so desperately wants one thanks to the glorification of the Wardens by Maric, but Loghain knows that the Wardens have been falling out of favour in Orlais (what with invoking their right of Conscription despite no signs of a blight) and he doesn't trust them, particularly thanks to the events of The Calling.

But his hate for Orlesians? Well hate isn't even the right word. He's been screwed over by them since day one, what with them raping his mother in front of both Loghain and his father, killing her then being forced out of their home and becoming fugitives in an Orlesian occupied Fereldan. Then Maric stumbled along, Meghren hot on his tail and cost Loghain his father and the outlaw camp he grew up in, all of the people he'd ever known. Then Loghain lost the love of his life to Maric, remained thoroughly loyal to him until his idealistic (if a little idiotic) son was ready to throw away half the kingdom to try and step out of his father's shadow. One of the reasons I love Loghain so much is because he's a relic in Fereldan now, he's a product of an age of war. Sure it causes him to be shortsighted, but his long term goals make so much sense.

Tragedy's Rebellion

Feb 21, 2010
None of them really, maybe except Shale. All of them were one-note cardboard cutouts with no actual character arc. I LOVE DA:O and I've replayed it many times, but the companions are seriously weak. You just play therapist with them for a while and their problems are fixed, but they stay the same. Alistair is too much of a whiny little *****, while Leliana only hurls pseudo-enlightened bullshit in your face. Wynne is as static as you can get, even the "one regret in my life" seems crowbared in. Zevran is too pushy and his bisexuality is his only character trait, while Bioware fail to realize that sexuality isn't a character trait. Morrigan is short-sighted and her bitchiness is all that she has. Oghren is the stereotypical dwarf and Sten is just boring.

Shale is the only character with character and has a semi-decent character arc, what with realizing that she's a woman and all that. The secret companion isn't "deep" like many people seem to think, he's just an idiot. DA:O companions NEVER come CLOSE to actually decently written characters like in KoToR 2, Planescape: Torment and NWN2: MotB.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Why is the dog not in the poll? He was so cute and deadly, named him Zack after my real life dog. He was so fluffy even while ripping out throats.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
Elfgore said:
Shale. Funny character because of her lack of world experience and memories. Also one of the best background stories for any character in video game history.
Her background is pretty rock-solid.

I will now go find a hole, crawl into it, and presumably die.

OT: Mine is also Shale. I really didn't like any of the love interests except Alistair, and I was kind of playing a male character. Morrigan is funny sometimes but not particularly endearing. Snarky bitches are only endearing when they're not supposed to be, and she was practically railroaded in terms of endearment.

AlotFirst

Mar 29, 2011
Tragedy's Rebellion" post="9.824275.19975128 said:
snip/quote]

Wow, are we clones, because it seems we have an identical point of view in regards to the characters. Although I can't say that I loved DA:O.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
I'm sad to admit that I honestly didn't really like any of the characters. I found them all annoying in their own seperate ways. The game was a lot of fun so I don't mean I didn't enjoy it. I just found the majority of them whiney, wussy, moody or just plan difficult. And that was the point of how they were written.

Tragedy's Rebellion

Feb 21, 2010
AlotFirst said:
Tragedy said:
snip/quote]

Wow, are we clones, because it seems we have an identical point of view in regards to the characters. Although I can't say that I loved DA:O.
I can see why you wouldn't like DA:O, it's just a series of cliches strung together disjointedly. I, myself, have no idea why I like it so much, but I don't dislike the combat like many people seem to do. I suppose I find it well put together with a lot of secrets to discover and I like that. The writing is just horrible. DA2 also raised my opinion of DA:O a lot.

Mikejames

Jan 26, 2012
Alistair, Sten, and Leliana were my go-to team.
Zevran and Oghren did get a few funny moments in though. Their prison break was on of my favorite scenes of the game.

LetalisK said:
Tie between Leliana and Alistair. I find the former more interesting and the latter the funniest member. I don't get the infatuation with Morrigan. She's less funny and more bitchy and the only time she is funny is when she's talking with another party member. Not that I dislike her as a character, she's a great character. Just don't like her as a person.
I don't really see the appeal of Morrigan either. If she was more of a pragmatically evil character I would have found her more interesting, but as is, I couldn't take her any where without losing approval and getting berated because I didn't go out of my way to be a dick.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
Morrigan is my favorite character from Origins.

I loved her banter with Alistair during the story that made me kept those two in my party throughout the whole game.

laggyteabag

Scrolling through forums, instead of playing games
Legacy
Oct 25, 2009
UK
Pfff, I don't know, Alistair and Leliana were always in my squad. Alistair was funny and a good tank, Leliana was my love interest and the thief. Whilst Shale was funny I never really took her on any missions as Ive only played the game once with her character unlocked. And Morrigan and her sassy/ sarcastic attitude always brightened the mood, especially with Alistair.

Imma vote for Alistair.

Black Reaper

Aug 19, 2011
Shit, i wish i could choose more than one, i picked Sten, but i wanted to pick Morrigan and Shale too

Captcha:worship nothing
I guess the captcha isn't too fond of Leliana