Poll: Favorite Foreign Language

Ch@Z

Oct 18, 2009
I don't know all the languages but I'll say Swahili since I like the Baba Yetu song from Civ 4
Also no such thing as "Indian"

Sion_Barzahd

Jul 2, 2008
Japanese, but italian is a close second, they're both just beautiful languages in my opinion. Also i like japanese and italian music, regardless of me having no idea what they're singing about.

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
Staskala said:
Anchupom said:
"Es tut mir leid, aber es ist zeit zurückgeben auf Die Mutterschiff."
(that's grammatically correct, too.)
"Es tut mir leid, aber es ist Zeit zurückzugehen auf das Mutterschiff."
Or, less awkward: "Es tut mir leid, aber es ist Zeit auf das Mutterschiff zurückzukehren."

OT: To me it has always been the language I didn't really understand. First it was English, when I knew that it became Japanese and when I learned that it became "Chinese" i.e. Mandarin.
As I understood it, "die" was the feminine form of "the" and seeing as it was "mother" feminine seemed a logical conclusion. The capital on the Zeit was just a typo, and I didn't know about the existence of or correct translation to "zugehen" as opposed to "geben", and for those reasons I retract my statement about it being grammatically correct. I thought I did quite well as that was pieced together quite a few years ago, over about 20 minutes using a 14 year old british boy's logic and a English/German dictionary that appeared to be from a museum.

Chefodeath

Dec 31, 2009
Radeonx said:
Spanish or Italian, because I can speak both of them fluently.
Ah, you're double dipping. The only difference between spanish and italian is that one likes to end with vowels, the other with S's

Staskala

Sep 28, 2010
Anchupom said:
As I understood it, "die" was the feminine form of "the" and seeing as it was "mother" feminine seemed a logical conclusion.
Yes, but the word "Mutterschiff" is a compound word, and for compound words the last word is the deciding one. Here it's "Schiff" which is neuter, so "das" has to be used.
Anchupom said:
I didn't know about the existence of or correct translation to "zugehen" as opposed to "geben"
"geben" - (to) give
"gehen" - (to) go

The second "zu" in "zurückzugehen" is because verbs are used in their infinitive form in subordinate clauses starting with the words "um", "ohne" or "anstatt".
Note: Although the "um" can be left out in certain sentences (like this one), grammatical rules still apply.

Anchupom said:
I thought I did quite well as that was pieced together quite a few years ago, over about 20 minutes using a 14 year old british boy's logic and a English/German dictionary that appeared to be from a museum.
I thought you were still learning (are you?), so the correction was intended as a favor.
And hey, you didn't seriously expect a German to not go Grammar Nazi on you?

Anchupom

Apr 15, 2009
[small]
Staskala said:
Anchupom said:
As I understood it, "die" was the feminine form of "the" and seeing as it was "mother" feminine seemed a logical conclusion.
Yes, but the word "Mutterschiff" is a compound word, and for compound words the last word is the deciding one. Here it's "Schiff" which is neuter, so "das" has to be used.
Anchupom said:
I didn't know about the existence of or correct translation to "zugehen" as opposed to "geben"
"geben" - (to) give
"gehen" - (to) go
Ah, did not know that. :)
Staskala said:
The second "zu" in "zurückzugehen" is because verbs are used in their infinitive form in subordinate clauses starting with the words "um", "ohne" or "anstatt".
Note: Although the "um" can be left out in certain sentences (like this one), grammatical rules still apply.
Once again, didn't know that either. :D

Staskala said:
Anchupom said:
I thought I did quite well as that was pieced together quite a few years ago, over about 20 minutes using a 14 year old british boy's logic and a English/German dictionary that appeared to be from a museum.
I thought you were still learning (are you?), so the correction was intended as a favor.
And hey, you didn't seriously expect a German to not go Grammar Nazi on you?
No, unfortunately I couldn't take my education in German any further, as I didn't get the grade requrement for my course :( but the correction was both enlightening and appreciated. I always like to update my "I can't use this sentence in a real life situation" vocabulary whenever I can :p I suppose "Ich habe keine Füße" is also somehow incorrect?
And I didn't really expect anything less thab Grammar Nazism from someone who knew the language better than I, but I'm also aware we're nearing Godwin's Law now....[/small]

Anchupom

Apr 15, 2009
Effin' double post. The forum said I hadn't posted so I re-wrote everything. IGNORE ME.