Poll: Favorite type of Magic!?

DocJ

What am I doing here?
Jun 3, 2014
I've always had a passion for ice themes. Ice levels, ice characters, etcetera. So I'd probably take cryomancy. Everyone loved Frozone from the Incredibles right? Originally my thought would be psychic powers, TK, controlling thoughts and more. But I like ice. Ice is nice.

samgdawg

Apr 1, 2011
Psychic/mind powers just barely beating out necromancy. I love necromancy cause you don't necessarily have to be evil to be one. An honestly good necromancer could be just terrifying if done right.
But I've always been partial to the list of psychic powers. Telepathy, telekinesis, mental persuasion, and mental alteration are pretty much the most basic levels of this and a clever mind can find nearly infinite uses for them.

Read minds to learn secrets, evil plots, true feelings, where something is hidden, etc.

Mental persuasion to convince people to work for you, with you, to turn on their friends, to tell you information, to get what you want, where you want, when you want.

Mental alteration could be a more forceful version of persuasion, or it could be to do the KOTOR thing and completely change the personality.

But telekinesis is probably the most versatile. There's the obvious of just moving things and throwing them, but if you're smart you don't need the dramatic applications outside of probably 1/10 of the time. Subtler movements could be just as effective. A frayed rope pushed past it's limit or a weak link in a chain being exploited could have hugely disastrous domino effects that would be impossible to track back due to seeming entirely mundane.
Or you could use telekinesis to achieve flight by applying it to your own body. Knowledge of the human anatomy could be exploited to cripple an attacker. Of course, the cleverest would figure out exactly how much their ability could effect and how small. IF it were to extend to atomic or molecular levels one could simulate cryomatic, pyromatic, nature based, or earth based powers effectively and efficiently by simply altering the state of the atoms to add or remove heat or "grabbing" objects in the world to fool others into believing it was nature or earth powers.

EbonBehelit

Oct 19, 2010
Necromancy. Death need not be feared when its secrets are yours to command.

Besides, raising an Undead army has its own benefits: why send your men to die on the field of battle, causing the familial grief that ensues, when you can send those who are already dead instead?

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Necromancy. I wouldn't mind living forever and all, even if it's not the most pleasant way to continue. Better than nothing though, as far as I'm concerned.

Plus, while the others are interesting they tend to achieve effects already possible by the laws of physics, albeit with time and effort. Except for demonic magic, whose details are a bit unclear here. But I'd rather not trust in demons. So for me necromancy since it does things beyond what is achievable any other way.

Shock and Awe

Winter is Coming
Sep 6, 2008
I was expecting a Magic: The Gathering thread (white magic ftw)

But I can't really turn down pyromancy. There is smething satisfying about playing with fire.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Necromancy for me, Nagash has it right!

Why bother with training an army when you can just raise one up from the ground and send them out? A legion of the undead howling and screaming towards your foes lines, unafraid of their best warriors as they slowly hack and gnaw them to death?

Secondhand Revenant

Recycle, Reduce, Redead
Legacy
Oct 29, 2014
Baator
Country
The Nine Hells
Dynast Brass said:
Secondhand Revenant said:
Necromancy. I wouldn't mind living forever and all, even if it's not the most pleasant way to continue. Better than nothing though, as far as I'm concerned.

Plus, while the others are interesting they tend to achieve effects already possible by the laws of physics, albeit with time and effort. Except for demonic magic, whose details are a bit unclear here. But I'd rather not trust in demons. So for me necromancy since it does things beyond what is achievable any other way.
My take on "Demonic" anything, is that if you're in a world with demons, you need to really consider that there is a god or something like that. That being the case, "Demon" is always going to be an ultimately losing proposition. I never understand the rationale of a demonic choice, when the very existence of devils implies that you're fighting for eternity anyway.
That's a fairly good point. Even if it's along the lines of a world with multiple gods, some evil, the evil ones just aren't gonna treat you well and the good ones won't want you.

Though they could think the demons are going to rule some day and hope they'really too busy tormenting everyone else to want to torment their allies.

dalek sec said:
Necromancy for me, Nagash has it right!

Why bother with training an army when you can just raise one up from the ground and send them out? A legion of the undead howling and screaming towards your foes lines, unafraid of their best warriors as they slowly hack and gnaw them to death?
I never understand the desire to have an army when the basis of magic is mass destruction and control. Why bother sending an army to fight what you can nuke from orbit?
Well that is a level of control, though personally the army aspect of necromancy was never what I cared for the most

EbonBehelit

Oct 19, 2010
Dynast Brass said:
Granted, in theory it can be done, but I take Jim Butcher's view on matter, as expressed through is protagonist 'Harry Dresden'.
Now that.... THAT is interesting. I'd never even heard of the Dresden Files before now.

Still, I'd take Kumori's view as my own. What could a dictator possibly do if their enemies are also all immortal? Wars would be endless - so unbelievably futile that they would be pointless to wage. Genocides would be fruitless. Most importantly though: the big shots running the Earth into the ground may actually live long enough to see and feel the consequences of their actions.

Regardless, even discounting the whole immortality shtick, I just think skeleton warriors are freaking cool.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
EbonBehelit said:
Dynast Brass said:
Granted, in theory it can be done, but I take Jim Butcher's view on matter, as expressed through is protagonist 'Harry Dresden'.
Now that.... THAT is interesting. I'd never even heard of the Dresden Files before now.
Then go get the books. Now! They are really good - the basic premise is the following: Harry Dresden is a wizard in modern day Chicago. He's also sort of a private detective and hired for various cases that require magical assistance. There are a bunch of books already and at least few more supposed to go out. I'd also recommend getting Side Jobs - it's a collection of short stories with Harry Dresden. To be honest, some weren't that good or that interesting (there were at least a couple written as sort of a joke) but at the very least the one called "Aftermath" is worth it - it's set directly after the novel Changes and it's worth a read. There are also some graphical novels but I find the actual novels better (mostly because they have more content). Saying that, I do really illustrations, but still.

Tiger King

Legacy
Oct 23, 2010
Country
USA
I would pick necromancy but I wouldn't be reanimating long dead corpses from the earth, God no could you imagine the stench?

Instead I would bring back the recently deceased to be reunited with their loved ones. I think this coupled with a strong promotional leaflet campaign, could really help clean up the necromaner image.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
I'm gonna pick "Clarkeian Magic"...magic that's really just science so advanced our puny minds don't understand it.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Electromancy and Necromancy would be a tie for me. With Pyromancy coming in the rear. What can possibly beat zombies and giant bolts of lightning? Nothing, that's what!

Julius Terrell

Feb 27, 2013
Demonic magic! But physic/mind magic nearly ties. Nothing like summoning the demons of hell to do your bidding(while using strange incantations). I also like seeing the power of the mind at work. There's nothing worse than being attacked by someone can torture you with their mind. Scary stuff if you ask me.

Edit: This is EXACTLY why I liked Doomed Megaopolois (older anime OVA)so much.

StormShaun

The Basement has been unleashed!
Feb 1, 2009
Electrical Magic.
Do I need to say why?

*Points to name*

Oh ... I do?
Fine then.

Quickness. The prime quality of electricity and lightning.
It comes quick and it kills quick. If you don't kill it, throw more at it.
Zap, zap, zap, dead.

That and combine it with an Archangel, and it makes a badass character.
Plus it makes for some impressive sights.