Poll: Female Shepard vs Male Shepard - Mass Effect Series

identifier

Aug 4, 2012
Female by default in every game, because, I'm more interested in females than imagining my own hairy buttocks on the screen. Jennifer Hale's voice acting is a delicious icing on the cake.

PrincessAshley

Aug 3, 2013
Ahhh I love them both! so hard!

I think femshep is a more, well, talented voice actress since she puts such feeling into her words when at times Manshep is just kind of a goof xD

However--Shepard is supposed to be a manipulated character, in the sense that, Shepard is what you make him/her be. I feel like it is impossible for me to make femshep anything I want since her voice makes her strictly one person, Paragon or Renegade... if that makes any sense lol

Manshep is so different. Paragon manshep vs. Renegade manshep, omg... lol

I'd say overall it is better with Manshep, but I will definitely be making many more femsheps in the future.

Xelien

Oct 22, 2008
Like many others I preferred Jennifer Hale's voice acting. My renegade run of FemShep is my favorite playthough in any of the games. Also I get awkward to suave Garrus as a romance option when playing as FemShep.

Fdzzaigl

Mar 31, 2010
Femshep all the way, I agree with the notion that maleshep has more interesting romances (but that's also due to me being male), but it doesn't matter for me. Jennifer Hale's voicework just beats Mark Meer's (even though the latter is also good), plus having a tough lady being the commanding officer for a change is infinitely more interesting than another guy.

I know a lot of people who didn't give femshep a chance at first, but never went back after trying it :p

SunyiNyufi

Sep 4, 2010
I play as FemShep mostly, because in every game that gives me the option to choose the gender I always go with female. Compensation for all the other games where I'm forced to play as standard-caucasian-male protag.

erbkaiser

Romanorum Imperator
Jun 20, 2009
I have a Paragon Male Shephard, and a Renegade FemShep. Jennifer Hale's "bad girl" voicework is some of the best in gaming, MaleShep sounds just like very other protagonist.

JediMB

Oct 25, 2008
Mikeyfell said:
Pretty much the only reason to play Male Shepard is to romance Tali or Jack other than that he's just a waste of hot air.
Haha, yeah. I did the Jack romance, which was sweet, but then I couldn't bother to play through the game with MaleShep again just to experience the Tali (and maybe Miranda) romance.

I am, however, considering replaying the final part of the game with one of my FemSheps. I have a romance with Thane I didn't have the time to go through on my original playthrough, which should be accessible now that there's a bunch of extra DLC missions I can do before Legion's loyalty mission...

HellbirdIV

May 21, 2009
FemShep, because;

- Better voicework. Look, Mark Meer is awesome and his acting talent is not to blame for MaleShep's uninspiring monotone, but it just doesn't hold up to Hale. It couldn't.

- Looks snazzier. Sleek, violent, and lethal suits my favorite classes - Infiltrator and Adept - far better than brick shithouse.

- Space lesbians. Just space lesbians.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Male Shepard. I tried to create myself, but then virtual me went on to be more successful that real me, got all the women he wanted, and become super-cool galactic guy numero uno. I got really depressed for some reason D:

DRTJR

Aug 7, 2009
Zhukov said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Zhukov said:
I have Shepards of both genders, but I always preferred female Shepard due to the superior voice acting.

Jennifer Hale actually puts some nuance into her voice. Mark Meer alternates between sounding bored and sounding hungover. Although, to be fair, he did improve over the course of the series. Then again, so did Hale, so dude-Shep was still left in the dust throughout.
Except for humor. Hale does nuance and emotion better than Mark Meer, but he is way better at being funny. His deadpan delivery is hilarious, especially in Citadel.
Eh, I guess.

He certainly says "Big stupid jellyfish" better, I'll give him that.
Hello I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.

The Hero Killer

Aug 9, 2010
Shepard to me was my female Shepard, I dont even acknowledge the default male one. Its always a interesting topic starter when people ask me why I refer to Shepard as "she" or "her".

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Personally I like them both, but I play ManShep more. No reason why, nothing against Jennifer Hale, just prefer ManShep.

votemarvel

Elite Member
Legacy
Nov 29, 2009
Country
England
In regard to the voice acting I think that while Jennifer Hale's low points are worse than Mark Meers, her high points are also much better than his. It's weird because Mark Meer is a fantastic voice actor but his Shepard seems to be playing it safe, whether that is his fault or the fault of the voice director I couldn't say.

Most of my Shepard's do tend to be female though Simply because I find it easy to role play. If I play a male Shepard I start to think on what I would do in that situation rather than what Shepard would do.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011

I've played through the trilogy as both, and female Shepherd always seemed to have more attitude and charisma to her. Male Shepherd is okay, just a little bland.

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
I like ManShep. It's easier for me to identify with being as I'm a guy too.

I can understand the complaints about his voice acting in the first game, but he improved by leaps and bounds, and I felt that he had surpassed FemShep by the time BE3 rolled around.

I never got the praise for Hale either. She just always sounded bored.

Madame_Lawliet

Jul 16, 2013
I always play femshep
Partially because I like Jen Hale's voice acting a little bit more, but also for a slightly more eh... personal reason.
As someone born male who's spent a considerable amount of their life either questioning or outright wrestling with their gender identity, being able to play certain games, like Mass Effect, as the gender I more closely identify myself with feels... good.

But I won't preach to you all about how games that allow gender choice are a helpful thing for transfolk, I have Tumblr for that, suffice it to say I like playing as Femshep and I'm probably going to continue doing so in future playthroughs.

xeyra

Apr 19, 2013
I tend to mostly play female characters, unless the game's protagonist is specifically male, so I have played as female Shep throughout the entire trilogy. I have seen played (and even tried once) the male version and it didn't really work for me, because the voice acting does make female Shepard sound so badass and much more charismatic. Plus, it's the whole competent woman in charge in an often man's world thing.

Azure-Supernova

La-li-lu-le-lo!
Aug 5, 2009
I tried to roll male Shepard but I couldn't get into it at all. So I went for Femshep and it turned out to be a different experience. I avoided the romances when I could (sometimes you stumble into them when you're trying to befriend someone like Liara) but I dunno, I guess I just clicked with the character better.

The_Lost_King said:
I just hate that you can't make a decent looking Male Shepard. Well, I couldn't anyway.
Yeah, I got a male Shepard started up in Mass Effect but I could never really make him look like anything other than a potato with facial features and hair.