Poll: Firefox vs. Chrome (and why?)

Conza

Nov 7, 2010
EDIT: Don't know where my Poll is - Self reported

it seems like there's two main browsers these days, I've tended to use Firefox a bit more, it seems slightly more robust, but I'm using Chrome right now to trial it, and see if there are any improvements

So this is a poll to see which is more popular, but also more importantly, why you use one over the other, and speaking of which, if you don't use either of these there's the 'Other' option as well, pretty sure it'll be a 40/40/20 split (give or take 3-5%).

EDIT 2: Because the escapist is run on kitkat wrappers, I'll have to manually go through the posts and do a count

Chrome 35
FireFox 28
Other 10

Pretty close actually, Chrome started with a lead, and seems to have kept it, really wish that damned poll worked

MysticSlayer

Apr 14, 2013
I use Safari.

I originally started using Chrome when it first released, and it had quite a few problems right after release. I haven't bothered to try it since regardless of hearing that it has been vastly improved over the years.

I use Firefox on Windows, but I don't see any advantage of it over Safari on a Mac, which is what I've been using mostly over the last couple of years.

Ultimately, I just stick with Safari because I haven't had any functionality problems with it compared to Firefox and Chrome, but I do prefer the interface.

Heronblade

Apr 12, 2011
Chrome, prefer the layout overall and Firefox has/had a couple of security holes related to shared processing.

Moderated

May 12, 2012
Chrome is better in everyway, except for customization. I use firefox because I customize everything, but they removed customization in the latest nightly, so if that changes comes down to the regular version, I will be forced to use chrome.

Bravo Company

Feb 21, 2010
I use chrome, I have mine setup to be very minimalist witch a dark wood theme and it just does what I want it to quickly. I really can't go back to using firefox or any other browser for that matter.

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
I recently switched from Firefox to Chrome and difference in speed is crazy, Chrome is just so much faster.

Wraith

Oct 11, 2011
Chrome. I only ever used Firefox on a work PC and it felt too much like IE in design. I know it can be customized, but I doubt it would be editable to my specific tastes. Chrome however, is sleek, simple and I can get themes that are all black to appease my style choice. Also, it is tied to my gmail account. So I can go on a friend's PC, start chrome, sign into it with my gmail and have the program run with my theme, favorites and add-ons all at the ready in seconds.

Wintermute_v1legacy

Mar 16, 2012
Jamieson 90 said:
I recently switched from Firefox to Chrome and difference is speed is crazy, Chrome is just so much faster.
This is why I switched to Chrome aswell.

There are a lot of things that I think Firefox does better, but after years of trying to fix the memory issue, I gave up and went with Chrome instead. I still use Firefox every now and then, but it's not my main browser anymore.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I use Firefox 90% of the time, I like the customization more and haven't noticed a difference in speed with tons of tabs. The other 10% is when I'm on sites required for school because they don't like my security, and my school uses google for e-mail and logging into my youtube account is a pain in the ass so I never want to log out.

Olas

Hello!
Dec 24, 2011
I use Internet Explorer most of the time. Ya, that's right. It's slightly faster and I like the clean design. I do use Chrome sometimes for Youtube though since it has [a href="https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/youtube-ratings-preview/cgbhdenfmgbagncdmgbholejjpmmiank"]this app[/a]

I have Firefox installed, but only for testing out web pages.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
I switched from Chrome to the chromium based Comodo Dragon recently.

All the benefits of Chrome without the Google tracking.

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
I've used FF for quite a number of years now.
I enjoy it's customizable features and whatnot, though if those vanish in the next ver update then I'll be switching to Chrome (from what I hear, they are both more or less the same thing nowadays)

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
I use Firefox, I've never had any real issue with it being slow and I just prefer the UI.

likalaruku

Nov 29, 2008
I used to have all kinds of speed-related problems with Firefox 3 & 4, it would crash frequently, Flash crashed constantly, & was a CPU hog, so I switched to Chrome, then I wanted more security, so I switched to the Chrome-based SRWare Iron.

Esotera

May 5, 2011
I'm sticking with firefox but have used chrome in the past. The range of addons available for firefox is absolutely huge and I use a lot of them - chrome can't replace that.

Firefox could really use polishing their UI to make it seem more responsive though, along with replacing firefox sync with some halfway decent cloud storage of browser options. Sync is probably the worst feature in Firefox, it's just unusable.

1Life0Continues

Not a Gamer, I Just Play Games
Jul 8, 2013
Firefox, although contemplating moving to the Simon Says (Chrome) (against all sensibilities). Firefox seems to be having so many more memory leaks and compatibility issues since the takeover by Google that I'm starting to think it's a ploy by them to force a move to Chrome.

The only issue I find is the amount of separate processes Chrome tends to create in the Task Manager. I know why it's done, but it still irks me to have so many. It's a petty thing, but with an ancient rig like mine, RAM is at a premium and I cringe at the hit it takes with almost every browser these days.

Stainlesssteele4

Jul 5, 2011
Chrome for sure, mostly because of the huge active developer community; If a feature bugs me, I can google it, find which flag to deactivate, and never see it again. Besides that, I feel extension management is easier. With Chrome, you get a great extension page, with simple 'remove' and 'disable' buttons (plus the in app task manager).

But, I have seen valid arguments for both sides, and I have seen some Firefox packages that look pretty snazzy, so I guess it's mostly preference.

Imperioratorex Caprae

Henchgoat Emperor
May 15, 2010
Used FF for a while before switching to Chrome after working on a client's computer that had some bad infections and Chrome was the only browser that would connect to the 'net to download some malware removal and rootkit removal tools. Firefox and the obligatory IE were also present and neither would connect... Later at home after downloading and using it I found it to work faster for me and it just felt easier to configure for my own standards. Chrome > Firefox >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> IE... Hell I'd install a '98 version of Netscape if I could rather than use IE beyond the first time usage to download ANOTHER BROWSER ;)
Summary: Chrome is fast, lightweight, and functionally easier to use than any other browser I've had. And I won't ever install Safari on a PC. I don't own a mac for many reasons and if I could get my Ipod touch to sync my Itunes purchases without Itunes, I'd use whatever else I could.