Poll: Firefox vs. Chrome (and why?)

solemnwar

Sep 19, 2010
OlasDAlmighty said:
I use Internet Explorer most of the time. Ya, that's right. It's slightly faster and I like the clean design. I do use Chrome sometimes for Youtube though since it has [a href="https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/youtube-ratings-preview/cgbhdenfmgbagncdmgbholejjpmmiank"]this app[/a]

I have Firefox installed, but only for testing out web pages.

Yeeaaaah fellow IE buddy.
Let's bunker down against the potential hate together.

I despise chrome though. I use Firefox in those few cases that a website gives IE users the middle finger so it doesn't work.

Psychobabble

. . . . . . . .
Aug 3, 2013
Over the last couple of years I've come to despise Google and all it's mephitic minions. So I no longer use their email, their search engine, or Chrome. I have to say that when I did try it I didn't particularly see it did much different than Firefox, and had far less addons to choose from so never felt the need to switch over. These days though I mostly use Opera.

not_you

Don't ask, or you won't know
Mar 16, 2011
Chrome...

Custom themes... Minimalist UI interference... Bookmarks saved in cloud (without faffing about)...
It's fast too, which is always a bonus....

What's not to love?

EDIT: Granted, the only other browser I used previously was IE9... or whatever number it was up to back in '09...
I have tried firefox over the years, but... Google is my friend, they haven't screwed up (To the degree that EA has, by comparison... as I was once a fan of them)

Ken Sapp

Cat Herder
Apr 1, 2010
Firefox is my main browser simply because it has all the features I use on a daily basis, either built in or through addons/extensions. Customizable tabbed browsing, Downthemall! and Scriptish being primary among these.

Chrome is my backup for certain web activities which it seems to perform better but it lacks certain addons I rely on on a daily basis. However it is not my primary due to the way that it nags me every time I start it to sign in to Google. Google knows enough about me without me making it easier for them. The derivatives such as SRWare Iron and Commodo Dragon are nice and I usually have one of them installed as well in case I need a third option.

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
I run Waterfox, which is basically just Firefox optimised for 64 bit systems with some other things thrown in. Recent update has helped it a lot for me as well. Security holes are my issue with Google, plus I just don't trust them.

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
I tend to prefer Chrome. Although I have swapped between the two as my main web-browser whenever either decides to crash or malfunction (but to be fair, Firefox does this a lot more) in hope that "The other one surely didn't suck this much!", regardless if it was running fine for months on end.

SwagLordYoloson

Jul 21, 2010
Off Topic: wasn't there a rule somewhere saying we couldn't do vs threads? Or did they redact that?

Edit: Yeah its a rule, although it does not make much sense in this context. I wonder if this thread will actually get locked, or if the rule is only there so they can lock threads about subjects that are more flame worthy...

On Topic: Chrome, specifically Chromium, because it just has all I want and I find the UI a lot more intuitive.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I like Chrome's UI better. That's really the only reason. I used Firefox a while back, then I randomly tried Chrome and never went back. Both are good, I just prefer Chrome's look.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
I used Firefox because I've used Firefox for years and Chrome never gave me any reason to switch. I always heard people say Chrome is so much faster but I've used both and don't notice much of a difference (if anything, Firefox feels a little faster to me)

Auberon

Aug 29, 2012
I started with Firefox a few years back. I used Chrome for sites that wouldn't work on FF, and for nothing else - it felt too slow with multiple tabs, and it didn't have the essential add-ons. And now that Google tries to integrate everything to one account and NSA spillings, I'll stick to Firefox.

OneCatch

Jun 19, 2010
I hate Chrome. The omnibar irritates me with its auto-search thing that can't be switched off, gmail is really slow when using POP3, the privacy options are obtuse in order to stop people using them, and the general move to linking everything to google+ and youtube annoys me.
/rant

Firefox is far from perfect, but at least it allows decent customisation (including turning off of features that I don't want) and its privacy systems (and almost everything else) are a bit more tangible, consistent, and robust.
It's a horrible memory hog but that's rarely a problem for me, and I find that Chrome performs even worse with a lot of tabs anyway.

Griffolion

Elite Member
Aug 18, 2009
I use Chrome. It makes sense since I use a lot of Google's services.

It also performs better than Firefox on average, tends to be more stable (in my experience), and the UI is a lot nicer. The omnibar is probably the best thing about it for me.

Also, the web developer tools within Chrome are very strong.

Jandau

Smug Platypus
Dec 19, 2008
I dislike Chrome's interface design, while on the other hand I'm used to Firefox, so Firefox it is.

Casadechrisso

Jun 6, 2013
No Chrome on my PCs, I already have enough Google sniffing on my phone and websites like YT. I'm not paranoid, but at least with PC webbrowsers I still have the option to keep my pants up...

On the PC: Palemoon (optimized FF)
On the Mac: Safari

Grimh

Feb 11, 2009
Was going to switch to Chrome a while back but then I saw that it squishes the tabs, which is just not acceptable, so Firefox it is.

Rblade

Mar 1, 2010
I use chrome because whenever I use firefox on my laptop is falls over and dies everytime a youtube video is involved. I have no idea why but since I like chrome I can't be bothered to completely overhaul my laptop just to find out why it's doing that. Chrome is also very clean, which I like in a browser.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Firefox, force of habit. I've never had a reason to change after I changed from IE. Also I have all my add-ons and bookmarks and whatnot.

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Used to use Firefox on my old desktop PC, then on my laptop. I tried Chrome just for the hell of it and, on my crappy laptop, it was so much faster. Kept using Chrome since then and it was one of the first things I installed when I got a gaming PC, though I have Firefox installed too as a back up. Never needed to use it though.
(I also have Chrome installed on my iPad and Galaxy Note 3. Had it installed on my iPhone too before I sold it.)

Main reason I still use Chrome: Speed is still great and the syncing feature means any device I surf the Internet on, I can pick up on another. After I save this post, I can lock my iPad, go outside and pick up where I left off on my phone. Alternitevly, I can go into my room and pick up where I left off on my PC.