Poll: Firefox vs. Chrome (and why?)

Mrkillhappy

Sep 18, 2012
I used Firefox for a long time and made the switch to Chrome about a year ago. Chrome just feels slightly faster then firefox although I have heard that their are less exploits in Chrome then if Firefox so I guess that is a plus. Though I do use Firefox when Chrome shits the bed which is not often.

Mad World

Legacy
Sep 18, 2009
Country
Canada
Used to use Firefox, but it suffers (or suffered) from a memory leak, so I use Chrome.

KungFuJazzHands

Mar 31, 2013
I treasure my privacy, so no Chrome for me. Firefox may have been become a bloated mess over the last couple years, but at least I can trust Mozilla to not sell my personal habits to the highest bidder.

ATRAYA

Jul 19, 2011
I primarily use Firefox, but we use Chrome at my college. Chrome CAN be nice, but it refuses to load pages FAR too often for me to use it regularly. About eight out of ten YouTube videos I try to watch I'll end up having to refresh the page five or six times to get the video to play. Some Google pages will load, then immediately go blank, causing me to refresh once or twice. Those are the main problem sites, but there are several others that do this on and off.

Granted, I haven't used too many scripts or add-ons for Chrome, so maybe somebody out there has fixed Chrome page loading with some third-party software, but I can't be arsed to look one up. :/

Got a million add-ons for Firefox though, and it works great, so I have no reason to switch.

Storm Dragon

Nov 29, 2011
NetscaBWAHAHAHAHA! Sorry, couldn't keep a straight face there. I prefer Chrome because I like the layout better.

DirgeNovak

I'm anticipating DmC. Flame me.
Jul 23, 2008
I was on Chrome until recently, but I got some sort of malware extension that made it crash randomly several times per hour. I was unable to remove it, and uninstalling/reinstalling didn't help. So I'm back on Firefox.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
Moderated said:
Chrome is better in everyway, except for customization. I use firefox because I customize everything, but they removed customization in the latest nightly, so if that changes comes down to the regular version, I will be forced to use chrome.
They did? Yeah, if that's the case, I'll be giving Chrome a second look. Firefox has a lot of problems, and the customisation is basically the major plus that keeps me onboard.

Kennetic

Jan 18, 2011
I used to prefer Firefox until the update back in July. That update lowered the resolution and the browser crashed at least once every 5 minutes (no joke). I looked up solutions which didn't work at all before I gave up and switched the Chrome which isn't bad at all, just wish that I had recently closed tabs and windows options.

Qwurty2.0

Apr 21, 2011
Let the battle continue!!!

Anyway, I use chrome for more casual, personal tasks (forums, image search, videos, and, er... other "things") while firefox is used more for school, work, those sorts of things (mostly because chrome didn't seem to like the website my school used for assignments).

That said, I think both are great, but chrome is faster and much more friendly, imo.

saluraropicrusa

undercover bird
Feb 22, 2010
I've used Firefox for a loooong time now. While there are some things I can say are great about Chrome, last time I tried using it I was completely unable to log in to tumblr. I literally had to change my password in order to do so, and that's simply unacceptable. I might consider switching to Chrome if I could find a solution to that problem, though (I've been using it more since it's on the computers I use at school).

CPunchMaster

Aug 29, 2011
Drake666 said:
So, I'm the only one who uses Opera?
It's pretty fast, the mouse gesturing is useful and the browser can be easily use to check email and rss feed. It can also be use to irc. So, yeah, big Opera fan! :)
I love Opera. I've been using it for years. It's the hipster browser choice, I guess. The mouse gesturing is great.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I use both, but I prefer Chrome for day-to-day browsing. It responds faster and doesn't seem to want to spend a minute and a half updating every time I start it.

That said, Chrome seems more willing to crash other programs if you try to run them simultaneously, so if you want to get certain other things done while web browsing, Firefox might be the better bet.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
Firefox.

The reason? Ant video downloader. I can take anything from Youtube, Dailymotion, Mp4U and so on using this little baby, and it's not available on Chrome.

That being said, I wouldn't switch to Chrome in any case. I used it when it first came out and it made my whole system unstable whenever it was open. Garbage browser; I'd sooner use IE.

mokes310

Oct 13, 2008
Love IE for my basic web based email and facebooking. Love Chrome for general browsing and what not. Love Firefox for...um...er...say, it sure is secure, isn't it?

octafish

Apr 23, 2010
Firefox used to chew up all my RAM and occasionally lock up 100% of my CPU. It's probably fixed now but I have been using Chrome since then... and whatever the default browser is in Android because Chrome doesn't like Flash on my phone.

PureChaos

Aug 16, 2008
I've used Firefox for about 5 years now. Never tried Chrome but seeing as I like Firefox and it does what I need it to do amazingly well I don't see the point trying Chrome. Why fix what isn't broke?