Poll: First or Third-person view in Skyrim?

everythingbeeps

Sep 30, 2011
Mostly third, but I switch to first if I need to look at stuff close-up (picking items off a table or shelf, etc) or I need to aim (magic, bows).

Raddra

Trashpanda
Jan 5, 2010
First person.

I find it hard to be immersed if i'm not seeing through my characters eyes. I find it odd to hear some folk say thirdperson helps them feel more immersed, since well.. I don't see how that works.

Nightfall87

Nov 30, 2011
Always first. I guess it's habit from Morrowind and Oblivion.

Only time I use third person view is when I get some new gear, and want to check out how does it looks on me. :)

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
First, third just feels weird to me. It doesn't have any significant precision and I like the feeling that anything could be coming up at me (even though I've already killed everything).

Alcamonic

Jan 6, 2010
Always first view, third view seem to give me massive hit issues with bow and melee weapon =/.

Zeekar

Jun 1, 2009
First person tends to give me tunnel vision, and hunting is one of my favorite things to do. There's nothing more annoying than tracking an Elk through wild-lands just to be blindsided by a saber-tooth tiger out of nowhere. I tend to do just as well with either setting, and I tend to prefer looking at my character, because I look GREAT.

It might be worth noting I've never played another Elder Scrolls game (after playing Skyrim, that will change.) Perhaps fans of the franchise are just used to being forced into first person?

Mar 30, 2010
Zeekar said:
First person tends to give me tunnel vision, and hunting is one of my favorite things to do. There's nothing more annoying than tracking an Elk through wild-lands just to be blindsided by a saber-tooth tiger out of nowhere. I tend to do just as well with either setting, and I tend to prefer looking at my character, because I look GREAT.

It might be worth noting I've never played another Elder Scrolls game (after playing Skyrim, that will change.) Perhaps fans of the franchise are just used to being forced into first person?
Only Arena and Daggerfall were forced 1st person. Morrowind and Oblivion have both had the option of either. My 1st and 3rd person viewing habits in Skyrim stem from my viewing habits in Morrowind, and I dare say most people tend to carry over their own camera preferences from game to game too.

terribleyetfun

Jan 9, 2009
I use first person about 80% percent of the time when I`m doing everything but sneaking and then I only use it for a brief second to look around corners without actually having to stick my head out and run the risk of being seen.

Nazulu

They will not take our Fluids
Jun 5, 2008
I'm sick of first person. All the games I've played this year have been a FPS, so I've gone 3rd person all the way baby. Plus it's nice to see all the actions of my character, especially with close combat.

SomeLameStuff

What type of steak are you?
Apr 26, 2009
First person, unless I'm sneaking and I need to check around the corners. At least, I did.

Now my stealth skill is so ridiculously high I can stand in front of someone, in broad daylight, and they won't spot me until they walk into me. And sometimes they have to walk into me for a few seconds before they realise I'm even there.

Yes, my dagger and bow get a proper workout.

R3dF41c0n

Feb 11, 2009
First person out of habit. Oblivion and Morrowind had horrible character animations so I always played in first person. Granted the animations are much better in Skyrim but I still prefer first person because that's what I'm used to.

Wieke

Quite Dutch.
Mar 30, 2009
First person guy myself, I find it a fair bit more immersive. Also I don't get why people claim they see a bit more in third person, there is this entire character stuck nearly in the middle of your view?!

Occasionally I will use the third person view (with the f key held down) to check if any new gear on my character looks good.

kazeryu

Jun 8, 2011
first person mostly because I'm a caster type but I also played oblivion and that was impossible to play third person and tot gauge your eyeballs out so I'm used to played first person in elder scrolls games

UnderCoverGuest

May 24, 2010
First person all the time--best way to be immersed for me is by seeing through my own eyes, as it were.

Though I must say, I'm rather surprised at how pleased I am with the kill camera stuff. When I first heard about it, I was frustrated that my beloved immersion would be interrupted by having my eyeballs burst out of my skull in order to better witness a spectacular kill--but that's not the case.

Like folks say, it's nice to see your character, and having the camera pull back every now and then to show your virtual representation pummeling a bandit, or crushing a wolf's skull, or climbing atop a dragon in order to introduce your axe to its neck are moments that let you see you digital abilities in a more appreciative light I suppose.

nokori3byo

Feb 24, 2008
Both. I generally toggle to third while I'm tooling around town, but when I'm sneaking/sniping/meeleeing, it's genreally in first.

Slayer_2

Jul 28, 2008
First person for indoor combat and looting, third for outdoors combat. This applied to Fallout 3, as I don't play Skyrim.