Poll: Flawlwss Victory: Can you think of a game that is perfect?

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
so, no love for old console games...

my entries:
Mega Man X (excellent music, pacing, difficulty, design, animation...)
Super Mario Bros. 3 (absolutely amazing in every way - and i actually prefer the NES version to the SNES All-stars version)

ronald1840

Oct 4, 2010
This is my opinion and based on what I've played.

Two games that I feel do everything right it needs to.

Bioshock 2

It's story isn't as grand as the first, but this doesn't knock what the sequel goes for which is a quieter, more intimate tale. The gameplay was so much better with the dual-weapon/plasmid combination. Your choices with the Little Sisters was more involving with an actual relationship as you went about Rapture. The pacing is stronger and you're always moving forward to Inner Persephone.

The first BioShock, which I do love, jumped it's goals around of what the protagonist was supposed to be doing. I'll try not to spoil it. First, you crash in the middle of the ocean, enter a strange lighthouse above a destroyed city underwater and it's simple, help a man find his family and maybe he'll help you. But then that plan flops and this dude wants revenge now!

"Okay... sure, but, you're still gonna get me out of here, right?"

"Don't worry, the surface is waitin' fer us, but we can't let this go. My family, we'll make him pay!"

Escape. Revenge. Twist. Revenge again. Then. Finality. BioShock is stronger in some parts and it's sequel is more involved in others, but as a whole this small and loving story sticks with me more.

---

Ratchet and Clank: Crack In Time

I can't find anything wrong with this and there's nothing that'd I want to go back and change. Fantastic weapons, the best story in the series, beautiful environments and levels, multiple costumes/skins, unlockables -- there's a lot of love here. Oh, and I can't forget the space radio station. Man, I loved that!

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Sixcess said:
Portal. The controls are intuitive and responsive, the visuals are clean and distinctive, the writing and voice acting is brilliant, and the learning curve is incredibe - teaching you each new skill as you need it without ever feeling like a tutorial.

endtherapture said:
Crysis is simply the best shooter ever made, great pacing, great innovative freeform gameplay and great graphics. I didn't even mind the VTOL section.
I'd have to dispute this. I love Crysis, except I always have to qualify that statement by saying I love the first half of Crysis. The visuals are amazing of course, and the gameplay is smooth, natural and best of all, fun, but the near total abandonment of freeform gameplay in the latter half of the game is, in my view, a huge flaw in an otherwise excellent game.

And the VTOL section is an abomination.
The first half of the game is incredibly replayable, I really enjoy it and it's the best shooter experience ever.

The second half of the game after the ship goes very linear, but it's still waaay less linear than most shooters, and is full of action and emotions are pretty high. It's up there with Half Life 2 for me the second half of the game.

I don't think I'd change a thing - the aliens in Crysis were annoying but they were boring and crap in Crysis 2.

Sixcess

Feb 27, 2010
endtherapture said:
The second half of the game after the ship goes very linear, but it's still waaay less linear than most shooters, and is full of action and emotions are pretty high.
True. It's possible I'm as critical as I am of the second half of the game because I'm comparing it to the first half, which I love, rather than to other shooters, and it is spectacular - even the VTOL level had me gazing in amazement at the action, even as I was cursing those controls.

I haven't played Crysis 2 yet, but what did you think of Warhead? Personally I'd call Warhead a better game, though Crysis itself is a better experience.

Da Orky Man

Yeah, that's me
Apr 24, 2011
I haven't played any game that could be considered 'perfect' as such, but Battlefront 2 comes damn close. It's one of those few games that I've been playing since launch, and still boot up, not out of nostalgia, but because it's a damn good game.

Lovely Mixture

Jul 12, 2011
My views on a perfect game have altered over the years. But the games that have fit the criteria for me are:

Odin Sphere
The Binding of Isaac
Dark Souls

I base perfection on a few things
-Story or narrative: is it atleast competent?
-Gameplay: is it complex enough or atleast entertaining?
-Replay-ability: depending on how the last factor plays in, can I replay the game and still have an enjoyable experience?

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
Persona 4.

The characters, the story, the fast-paced dungeon gameplay...

Just... gah.

And the music. Mother of god, the music.

ExaltedBlizzard

Jan 22, 2010
Naturally, this topic became a "what's your favorite game?" topic, because if you truly love
a game you can ignore all of its flaws.

Although many people did not enjoy the combat in Psychonauts, I enjoyed it. I love everything about that game.

Journey as an amazing game. It touched me in a way I've never felt from a game, and is truly an example of video games as art.

Day Of The Tentacle however is my all time favorite. played it after Psychonauts, and couldn't care less about the dated graphics (pixelation). It's funny and smart, and perfect in any way I can think of.

Roroshi14

Dec 3, 2009
Kingdom Hearts 2. Honestly while the origonal was near awesome the sequel IMO perfected the combat, had a much richer story and was just challenging enough that when I beat Sephiroth I really felt accomplished. (proud moment for me ^.^)

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
erttheking said:
Not really, something is going to have some flaws, no matter how minor. Besides, perfection is subjective.
You win!

What one person considers to be pefect another considers to be pants!
Another way of looking at this is time, what you may consider to be perfect the first time you play looks different the next time you playthrough

bigfatcarp93

Mar 26, 2012
Of the games I've played, Half-Life 2 and Mass Effect 2 are, in my eyes, the closest to perfect. Almost perfect, both of them. But... no, not quite. No game that I've ever played has been, in my opinion, truly perfect.

endtherapture

Nov 14, 2011
Sixcess said:
endtherapture said:
The second half of the game after the ship goes very linear, but it's still waaay less linear than most shooters, and is full of action and emotions are pretty high.
True. It's possible I'm as critical as I am of the second half of the game because I'm comparing it to the first half, which I love, rather than to other shooters, and it is spectacular - even the VTOL level had me gazing in amazement at the action, even as I was cursing those controls.

I haven't played Crysis 2 yet, but what did you think of Warhead? Personally I'd call Warhead a better game, though Crysis itself is a better experience.
Warhead had a better final boss battle - the advantage of Warhead was that you fought the Koreans longer and the Aliens were kinda more interesting, but overall it didn't fel up to Crysis.

Crysis had perfect pacing and build up from skirmishes all the way up to total war and the alien invasion, it definitely was a better experience but I would have to say game as well...I think I'll play Warhead again soon though.

Crysis 2 sucks compared to both of them.

Mojo

Jun 2, 2011
putowtin said:
erttheking said:
Not really, something is going to have some flaws, no matter how minor. Besides, perfection is subjective.
You win!

What one person considers to be pefect another considers to be pants!
Another way of looking at this is time, what you may consider to be perfect the first time you play looks different the next time you playthrough
Have to agree with there guys here, per definition no game can or ever will be (for all we know) perfect.

EDIT:
OlasDAlmighty said:

Perfection.
Wow.. I must say, this actually comes close, even with the strict definition. Good show sir, I never thought of that.

capatcha: evil genius
Ohhh... I'm not sure, but thanks for the compliment.

InterestingKiwi

Jun 18, 2011
Crystalis for the NES.

I've played through it far too many times, and have never been able to find a fault with it. It is what Zelda 2 should have been. An Action RPG that has every mechanic perfect, from the combat, to magic, to equipment. Everything works, and everything is just perfect. I can't stress the word perfect enough. :)

It's the only game I could ever rank a 10/10 (which I did, on a gamefaqs review [WHen I was much much younger, I don't even want to go back and read that review].)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Nothing comes to mind, even some of the games I've enjoyed the most and would list as favorites had a few flaws.