Poll: Forgot about Reach?

AnAngryMoose

Nov 12, 2009
OhJohnNo said:
OK, so I just finished having hilarious fun with my friend on splitscreen (while playing online as well). This reminds me why I will never get the "blah blah multiplayer is pointless bullshit" people.

Laughing hysterically as we blow shit up in Rocket Race? Fun that will never be forgotten.

Laughing hysterically as we employ the good ol' "MORE DAKKA" approach on Sniperfight? Fun that will never be forgotten.

Laughing hysterically as we reach 1,000,000 points in 10 minutes on a modified Firefight gametype? Fun that will never be forgotten.

Even when the campaign eventually loses its charm (and I dunno if it will tbh - Halo 3's never did for me) the multiplayer will still be going strong. Having fun with friends never gets old.
This. I generally just play it with friends and it's a barrel of fun.

However, the maps are extremely sub par in my opinion.

PoliceBox63

Apr 7, 2010
I haven't even finished it yet and that's very bad for me. Blame Uni though... New Vegas is still in it's plastic too :/

Last Valiance

Jun 26, 2010
I find it too repetetive; the levels are too similar and there aren't enough.

I still play it for the split screen multiplayer though.

The campaign is a bit crap though; no awesome spectacles like Halo 3 had: everything feels small scale. I never really felt like I was in the middle of a war in Reach; just some overblown spec ops missions.

Karma168

Nov 7, 2010
normally i will not buy a game new (£40 new is just to much for a students small income) and will usually wait for the seasonal sales to kick in and pick it up for less than half rrp but halo reach was the exception and im glad i did.

while not everything we might have hoped from the final bungie halo it is incredibly enjoyable. the campaign was decent, firefight 2.0 is amazing both on and offline and the multiplayer is engrossing enough to sink hours into. also the ability to play split screen in multiplayer matches is one of the main reasons i bought as allows 2 people to pay without forking out for 2 live accounts.

the credits and armour Customisation is a great addition that actually gives a sense of accomplishment and is not just a generic level - and was so well received CoD is now copying it (originality much treyarch?)

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
I stopped playing this a while ago. The last time I did co-op I ended up just screwing around on matchmaking until I was kicked. Having more fun with New Vegas, Fable 3 and, Birth by Sleep.

It isn't a terrible game it just doesn't last me very long. The biggest point in it's favor (to me anyway) was the lack of Flood.

SnakeCL

Apr 8, 2008
I was never a Halo fan before Reach (heck, didn't even own a 360 before Reach) and I do have to say, its pretty much the only game I've played constantly.

I like the story and characters in the Halo games, and the overall feeling from the "insurmountable odds" aspect of the games.

By comparison, I haven't been interested in a realistic military shooter since CoD4, and probably won't be again. I'm having far too much fun fighting Covenant or playing SWAT matches, or logging in to get my daily challenges finished.

mikekearn

Erudite Loquaciousness
Aug 27, 2008
I'm still playing Reach almost every day, trying to get the Daily and Weekly challenges done for the extra credits. I'm in love with Fallout: New Vegas at the moment, so I'm not playing Reach much more than whatever is needed to do the challenges. Once I finally beat New Vegas I will probably dedicate all my game time back to Reach.

There are plenty of other games I'd love to try out, but my gaming budget is thin, so those are the only two new games I've had in a while.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
It's hard to remain optimistic about the future of games when a company can blow record-setting amounts of cash on marketing for a title they already released.

First Halo Reach did it (essentially being Halo 3 with jet packs and Firefight), now Call of Duty 4 is going to do it again with Black Ops.

I'm wondering how many times these companies are going to sell the same fucking mega-game until people realize what they are paying for.

SnakeCL

Apr 8, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
It's hard to remain optimistic about the future of games when a company can blow record-setting amounts of cash on marketing for a title they already released.

First Halo Reach did it (essentially being Halo 3 with jet packs and Firefight), now Call of Duty 4 is going to do it again with Black Ops.

I'm wondering how many times these companies are going to sell the same fucking mega-game until people realize what they are paying for.
Ask Nintendo, I'm sure they'll have some figures for you. LOL

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
SnakeCL said:
Ask Nintendo, I'm sure they'll have some figures for you. LOL
I'd rather get the figures straight from the horse's ass as it were. Perhaps someone at Activision or Micro$oft can set the record straight for me.

At least there were noticeable improvements and interesting variations of the Nintendo Trinity (Excluding Pokemon. That IS the same exact game remade over and over.) up until the PS2/Gamecube/Xbox era.

It's reselling the same exact game with the same exact elements plus or minus maybe one different thing that bothers me.
An old example comes to mind: When Raven Software took Doom and tried to convince us that it was a totally different game by re-skinning it and reselling it as Heretic.
Sure it looked cool, but I didn't really have fun playing Heretic because, well, I ALREADY OWNED DOOM BY THEN.

SnakeCL

Apr 8, 2008
From my experience actually, Halo 3 and Reach play pretty differently. Namely, Reach is a heckuva lot more tactically oriented, and you can't plow through things as easily as you can in Halo 3. The story is different (of course), as well as the general vibe of the game.

I feel like your simplifying things a bit too much here.

I don't think you can really fault an FPS for a general lack of originality over the years, since everything from Quake 2 onward has been more or less similar in the gameplay department, including Half-Life 2.

aakibar

Apr 14, 2009
its great when you have live, there are only so many times you can play the campaign before you throw it away it pick up something like new vegas which has a much higher replay value

MetallicaRulez0

Aug 27, 2008
I'd have been much more interested in Reach if it was just Halo 2 that worked with Xbox Live again. Seriously. Do it microsoft.

mega48man

Mar 12, 2009
nope :3

i'm gonna start campaign on heroic when my live expires soon so i can get the CQB helmet. soon, i will look like mudkipz.

Tarakos

May 21, 2009
Haha, I completely forgot I have this on my shelf.

I was never a big Halo fan, and only picked it up because my friends were, and I needed something to play for a few months. Even they, big Halo fans themselves, have stopped playing.

I guess Reach is just more of the same and some people have moved on since IMO, it's been the same game all these years.

TheYellowCellPhone

Sep 26, 2009
I hear it being mentioned, but the number of people speaking about Fable, Fallout, and of course Call of Duty outnumbers them

For a PS3 owner, remembering it's hard.

Infinatex

BLAM!Headshot?!
May 19, 2009
It been outclassed and overshadowed by more popular franchises. With the Black Ops launch tonight (fuck yeah finally!!!) and then with Cataclysm in a month, it has just been pushed aside. Also only being on one system does not help!

rockingnic

May 6, 2009
Well I've played it every day except 2 since launch and I'm a Lt. Col. G3 at the moment, more than 1/2 way to commander and I love it, especially invasion (invasion slayer sucks, especially on hemorrhage), headhunter and stockpile. I've already completed 115 challenges total and 45% through my commendations with 2 onyx commendations, both in firefight. I also have ALL achievements and can't wait for the Noble map pack, I hope those maps are more balanced than the maps that they made in Forge World. Cage blows, asylum is only decent with certain game modes, hemorrhage needs to be updated with more weapon placements on the map, it sucks running for 2 mins just to find a weapon other than the load out weapons, and pinnacle sucks except for modes like oddball and king of the hill. I'd admit there needs to be more power in some weapons and less in others, I could go on a killing spree with an assault rifle but with the plasma repeater, lets just say it's easier to get a kill by killing someone with a plasma pistol, it just seems there's no purpose to use the repeater over the pistol is all.