Poll: Futurama vs Family Guy?

tzimize

Mar 1, 2010
marcogodinho said:
I like them both and they are very different, so it´s difficult to compare. But i voted for Family Guy, because of it´s "i know this is crude homour, but i dont care as long as it makes you laugh really hard" approach.
I mostly agree with this. I'm a bigger fan of family guy, but...depends what you mean by best.

Futurama has (on several occasions) managed to do something family guy never have, which is make me (almost) cry.

The episode about Frys brother when he end up on the cemetary in space...there is some surprising depth there which we will probably never find in family guy.

I voted that my hair is on fire, because I cant decide.

Pure comedic value: Family Guy

Overall quality: Probably Futurama.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
Futurama hands down. While I did used to like Family Guy but to me it should of stay cancel when Fox put the lid on it.
These days the episodes now focus far too much random sketch humours or music numbers that the conclusion to the episode story is dealt with at the last minutes. They pretty much add little substance to the episodes.
Yes I did read the reason why Seth had this type of humours is purely base for making us laugh but I would appreciated the episodes more if it had both equal amount of humour and story driven blend in together.

Krylock

Dec 20, 2010
Family Guy = Funny random humor. If you watch Family Guy for a story, then you should hang your self. South park basically hit the nail dead on. It is very random humor, and that is what Seth McFarlane is going for. I have been watching Family Guy since the show came on, and I still watch it. It appeals to me in different ways, and I don't care what anyone says about the show, It's a hilarious show.

Futurama: I have been watching Futurama also since the show came up. Great show, ten times better than The simpsons (both shows created by matt groening), and i am super glad they decided to make a new season last year. Futurama has a bit less humor than Family guy, but it is still funny.

I can't really choose because I love both shows to death.

Also, stop crying about Family Guy being crude. What are you, 12 years old? Put your big boy ears on and stop complaining, you little girls.

bak00777

Oct 3, 2009
i like them both equally. Well maybe Futurama is in the lead a lil bit. For Family guy, it seems like they wait a bit too long for the main plot to kick in. I find them both funny, and there has been times where i was still laughing every time i thought of certain Family Guy jokes even a week later. Like the one where Peter kills Quagmire's cat, i was laughing so hard, and i continued to laugh everytime i thought of it for a good 5days.

Gaderael

Apr 14, 2009
Well, there's no Family Guy DVDs sitting over in my collection. So yeah, Futurama, hands down.

Not that I don't like Family Guy, because I find it very funny. But, American Dad is funnier, and Futurama is king.

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Nice to see a bunch of fellow nerds. Futurama beats the tar out of anything Family Guy has done.(With the execption of a few musical jokes, notably this one [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOmDn1A5lTc]. It's a fart joke, but it's bloody brilliant.) And even that pales in comparison to Futurama's sheer nerdiness. This is what happens when you get PhD's together to make sci-fi comedy... and I for one am grateful it exists.

Edit: stupid joke time:

Futurama = PhD
Family Guy = ADD

JWRosser

Jul 4, 2006
Actually, to all these people saying Family Guy is just crude toilet humour...well, it's not. A lot of the humour is quite sophisticated. Sure, they do throw in the odd fart gag, but I really don't think they go OTT at all. Family Guy is one of the funniest things out there.

South Park too. Sometimes they go a bit far - like the episode in the newest season where the write a sequel to Catcher in the Rye and everyone pukes? I didn't find that funny. But some of their stuff is very political. People just judge it because the animation is "bad" (although it's intentional).

Futurama is still hilarious. Funnier than the Simpsons I think. Just some of the stuff they come out with is so dry but classic, like in Season 2 A Pharaoh to Remember; "you don't have to go home but you can't stay here". One of my favourite lines.

Dimensional Vortex

Nov 14, 2010
TriggerHappyAngel said:
Family Guy's random humor is more apealing to me
Oh god, I hope you aren't one of those people who thinks randomness is so funny and cool and who then proceeds to be random as an excuse for comedy. Sorry if that sounds a bit aggressive but I couldn't help myself, I meet so many people who do that.

I like Futurama more, I'm not real sure why. Perhaps it is because it is often a more intelligent form of humor, or perhaps it is because I love science, science fiction and anything to related to space. I also get sick of the family guy characters, Peter is such a fat idiot it is painful, the popularity with Stewie angers me and no one ever likes Brian. Oh well, that's my two cents.

PS: Brian is my favorite character on Family guy, and the Professor and Zoidberg are my favorites on Futurama.
Professor Farnsworth: These new highly aggressive Stem cells will help.
Fry: But aren't those highly controversial?
Professor Farnsworth: In your time yes, but in this day Shut up!

lokun489

Jun 3, 2010
Futurama, family guy has no structure and I have watched several episodes of family guy, no smile coming across my face.

komodomantis

Aug 1, 2008
I think Family Guy has gotten better since the start of the ninth season; but it still has a long way to go to catch up to Futurama.

Spy_Guy

Mar 16, 2010
Futurama. Definitely.

Family Guy started out fun when it came here, but then it got too preachy, as some guy said. I don't need moral lessons from cartoons, I want to be amused, and Family Guy fails me in that regard too.

ComicsAreWeird

Oct 14, 2010
tzimize said:
The episode about Frys brother when he end up on the cemetary in space...there is some surprising depth there which we will probably never find in family guy.
That´s my favourite episode of Futurama ever! And yes, i have to agree with...

tzimize said:
Pure comedic value: Family Guy

Overall quality: Probably Futurama.
Family Guy makes me laugh a lot, but Futurama is better in terms of characterization and story.

Arkley

Mar 12, 2009
If you think Family Guy is the funnier show, that's fine. Family Guy tickles your funny bone more than Futurama and if laughs are all you want, that's great.

But if you actually think Family Guy is an all-round better show, you deserve to be molested by fat guys. Seriously.