Poll: Futurama vs Family Guy?

x0ny

Dec 6, 2009
If family guy's jokes were actually related to the plot then it would be better than Futurama. But as it stands, definitely Futurama for me. I've only got one Family guy Boxset, whereas I have 4 Futuramas, and 12 Simpsons.

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I prefer Futurama over Family Guy, mainly because Futurama has been more consistently funny. There are more funny episodes than unfunny episodes. Family Guy started out strong, and as one of my favorite shows, but character derailment (namely Stewie) and far too many overly long gags ( three to four minutes of Peter skating around a stage saying 'Starlight Express' over and over is not funny) and random cut-away gags kinda killed my interest.
South Park is another one of my favorites. While they tend to have a similar comedic nature to Family Guy, South Park seems to have more structure and planning. The gross-out and envelope pushing jokes, usual, have a point and aren't in there just to push the envelope.

Small Waves

Nov 14, 2009
This is a fight between a world championship boxer and a crippled bum on the street.

Futurama.

Azrael the Cat

Dec 13, 2008
I've never liked Family Guy as much as my friends have, nor as much as people expect me to. I could never put my finger on it until I saw the South Park double-episode where Kyle and Cartman are battling to try to save/destroy Family Guy over a 'depicting Mohammed' controversy (i.e. the one that South Park was simultaneously facing for wanting to show Family Guy showing Mohammed in that series of episodes).

South just nailed exactly what annoys me with Family Guy. The Family Guy writing staff as manatees picking random word-balls out of the tank was an awesome metaphor (although that part of its style doesn't bother me that much - it was just dead on as a description), but the part that really nailed it was all of Cartman's comments to Kyle: 'Yes, Kyle, FEEL the anger. That's emotional reaction to events happening the plot! It's a rational response based on characters and relationships constructed during the show!'

I just don't enjoy a series of disconnected jokes as much as humour that's derived from characters and their relationships. In Family Guy the characters' motivations are whatever is needed to get them to carry out the joke. For me, the big comparison point for Family Guy isn't the other cartoons, but the old UK series The Young Ones (the show that started the TV careers of Ben Elton, Alexei Sayle, Rick Mayall, Adrian Edmonson, Dawn French, Hale+Pace...) in that they both do the kind of anarchic sketch-humour of Monty Python and The Goon Show, but within the format of a sitcom with fixed characters and setting. For me, Family Guy just doesn't combine those styles like the Young Ones did - I never got a feeling watching the Young Ones that the characters are puppets for whatever personality/motivation is needed for that episode's joke, whereas in The Family Guy I get that constantly.

And then add to that that Futurama can throw in the occasional moment of genuine pathos (Jurassic Bark, the ending of the Harlem Globetrotters episode, Luck of the Fryrish...), and it makes you realise just how much more weight there is to the characters in Futurama. Family Guy might - in its strongest moments - be as funny, but it can never, ever, move me.

Edit: the other thing that gets me, is that I find the sexism in Family Guy just a little...too...well it's hard to put a finger on it. I've got no problem with South Park, and that's a hell of a lot cruder than Family Guy, and I've got no problems with that kind of humour. It isn't offensiveness per se. It's just...ok you know how sometimes you'll have a group of friends and you'll make bad taste jokes to each other. The jokes can get pretty horribly homophobic or racist, but it doesn't bother you too much because you know that none of you actually 'think' that way (for context, I'm bi, so I'm kind of referring to my own reactions here). You know that you're really pulling the piss out of people who hold those kind of attitudes. Then someone else joins in, and his jokes aren't any more offensive than the previous ones, but...there's just something that makes you uneasy. You just start getting the feeling that this guy actually has a problem with gays or immigrants. The jokes aren't any worse, but there's just something stylistically that seems to indicate a nastier intent behind it - just a little more venom in the wrong places.

That's how Family Guy strikes me with some of the sexist stuff in there. It wasn't like that in its initial run - it didn't go that way until it came back after being off the air for 3 years (between seasons 2 and 3). And, to emphasise my point, seasons 1 and 2 had the most non-pc jokingly sexist content in there. But it wasn't as bothersome - I mean, you had the episode where Peter goes to a feminist retreat after getting done for sexual harassment/assault (groping a co-workers' breasts and saying 'honk honk') and it only gets worse from there...but it's all so absurdly over the top that it isn't offensive. The later stuff isn't as anti-PC, but it just seems to come in in ways that the writers don't seem to be fully in control of. There's just something about the sheer frequency of it that gets disturbing. A few jokes like that are funny in themselves, but when it becomes so bizarrely constant it starts to make me wonder whether Seth really has some kind of obsession with hating feminism. Probably not his intention, but it's just too constant - I mean, they've burnt the joke out seasons ago, and it just gets to the point where I think 'why are you CONSTANTLY running up this flagpole'.

It isn't that any of the jokes by themselves are problematic - obviously it's a light show and isn't supposed to be taken seriously. But there's a difference between the guy who makes one gay joke (assuming it's not an overtly venomous joke) and the guy who is constantly joking about gays every single conversation he has, every time you see him....eventually you start thinking there's a serious problem underlying his 'humour'. I just get that sensation and it kills that part of the show for me.

Julianking93

May 16, 2009
Fanta Grape said:
To put it simply, when family guy is at its best, it's laugh out loud hilarious. When it's at its worst, it's horrendous.

When Futurama is at its best, it's very funny and also intelligent, with social commentary. The worst it gets is just not hilarious, not offensive.
I agree with this person.

When Family Guy is good, it's hilarious and I am literally on the floor, laughing at it. Last night's episode is a good example of how funny Family Guy can be.

However, the same goes with Futurama. In my opinion, Futurama can be funny while applying brilliant social commentary on many different issues... however, I've also seen how unfunny it can be and when it isn't funny, it's cringe worthy.

TheLefty

May 21, 2008
They're both good but I'd side with Futurama any day. It's genuinely clever, instead of idiotic stupidity. That, and I cheered when I heard it was coming back. I didn't even know Family Guy ever got cancelled.

Gigano

Whose Eyes Are Those Eyes?
Oct 15, 2009
Got to hand that one over to Futurama, Family Guy has its moments, and quite a few of them, but Futurama is in a whole other category alltogether; can't even begin to imagine how it would be if I was studying natural sciences and could catch/understand all the math and physics based injokes.

Futurama just reeks of being stylish, quirky, creative, and smart, with creative puns found everywhere, and there's some real depth to and even a bit of development going on with the characters, and some complex storylines which are usually tied up elegantly. Most importantly, it's still good fun the entire way through. Even when it occasionally makes a fumble, the result usually isn't too bad. I'd hold it to be the best animated "sitcom" on TV, if because it's really mostly anything but. And perhaps the best piece of western animation aimed at adults to run as a TV-series.

Family Guy can be outrageously fun at times, but to call it a smart show would be something of a stretch, and creativity isn't what it used to be. It's apparently taken a few hints from South Park of late, but just isn't a show to pull them off. Its otherwise quite interesting characters have developed into something less interesting, and have remained there ever since. Still worth a watch when in the mood for some dumb fun with an occasional glimpse of brilliance, but there's just no comparison to Futurama.

Dimensional Vortex

Nov 14, 2010
TriggerHappyAngel said:
Dimensional Vortex said:
TriggerHappyAngel said:
Family Guy's random humor is more apealing to me
Oh god, I hope you aren't one of those people who thinks randomness is so funny and cool and who then proceeds to be random as an excuse for comedy. Sorry if that sounds a bit aggressive but I couldn't help myself, I meet so many people who do that.
I never thought that randomness could be looked down upon that bad.
I just like jokes that come out of nowhere and give you a "what the hell just happened? :p" feeling.
Like this one:

Yea randomness in small doses on shows can be fine. I was think you might be one of those teenagers (like the ones in my class) who will say something extremely random (probably something they heard on television) as a cheap excuse for laughs. I was just hoping you weren't the kind to say "HAHAHAHA Thats so random!" just because something is random, not because it is funny.

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Hmm I like both, though I have to admit I haven't watched Futurama in some time...

I think I prefer Family Guy slightly due to the social commentary.

ayuri

Sep 11, 2009
bobs burgers... i could not keep a straight face writing that
but in all seriousness futurama sorry dude

Dimensional Vortex

Nov 14, 2010
JWRosser said:
Dimensional Vortex said:
JWRosser said:
Actually, to all these people saying Family Guy is just crude toilet humour...well, it's not. A lot of the humour is quite sophisticated. Sure, they do throw in the odd fart gag, but I really don't think they go OTT at all. Family Guy is one of the funniest things out there.

South Park too. Sometimes they go a bit far - like the episode in the newest season where the write a sequel to Catcher in the Rye and everyone pukes? I didn't find that funny. But some of their stuff is very political. People just judge it because the animation is "bad" (although it's intentional).

Futurama is still hilarious. Funnier than the Simpsons I think. Just some of the stuff they come out with is so dry but classic, like in Season 2 A Pharaoh to Remember; "you don't have to go home but you can't stay here". One of my favourite lines.
But the thing is, it is not just an odd fart gag, there are frequent stupid gags like that just too keep the younger and often asinine audience interested. Of course it can be funny and highly political but do you think it is the political episodes that take a look on the controversial topics in the world that sell? Also not to offend Family Guy, but it seems that they frequently re-package jokes and they often don't seem to end the episodes properly. Examples of the aforementioned problems are:
Remember when Lois had to make a choice to raise a baby or have an abortion? And the episode went through all the ramifications of it and it was and times very serious, the entire episode ended when Peter kicks open the door and says "We got the abortion!" Another time like this is when Peter becomes a psychic and ends the entire episode when he says "Yeaaahhh, I'm not a psychic!"
Remember the absolutely inane Conway Twitty cut away jokes? They lasted for like 3 minutes each and they were painful as hell, once they did it twice in an episode.
The times when Peter had to fight the giant chicken? It was funny the first minute but it dragged on and on, they do it in three separate episodes and then later they make references to it in other separate episodes.

I could go and on and on about more episodes which use and abuse the same formats of humor but I think this post is long enough. I know you are probably going to say "But some people found that stuff funny!" All I can say is, it pissed more people off than it made people laugh.
This is all true, but then again, they make fun of themselves. For example in one of the more recent episodes (I forget which) they have a cut away gag in which Quagmire thinks me is getting the spin-off*, and he says something along the lines of "So long suckers. Have fun with your Conway Twitty and Giant Chicken jokes!"

Admittedly, yes, I do fast forward through these bits. They're funny the first time but after that do get a bit tedious, but apart from that I think, personally, Family Guy is brilliant. Of course, each to their own :)
But do they make fun of themselves enough to counter all the annoying jokes that are a bad way to get people to laugh? Does it counter all the jokes that are only a bit funny because of the shock value it brings (South Park is worse with that)? If you posted all the times Family Guy poked fun at itself like the time you just mentioned, and I posted all the jokes that were lame, unfunny and often monotonous I think we would see that the few times it does poke fun at itself isn't enough to redeem itself for all the Conway Twitty jokes that go for ages or the Chicken fight jokes or the ones that are just bad.

Don't get me wrong, I like family guy, it is a great way to make me laugh. But I'm not so attached that I don't see the flaws and errors with it's design.

PS: Saying the Cleveland show is above average humor and jokes is a bit generous, I think it is one of the most unfunny animated shows and just a bad spin off all together. Of course that is just my opinion.

*What about the Cleveland Show? I think that has some moments of hilarity but the rest is just above average.

Nvv

Sep 28, 2009
Futurama > Family Guy.
NO question, it's like comparing gold to crude iron.
Futurama vs American Dad however is different. That's Gold to bronze.

Jan 13, 2010
I cannot but agree more with the majority of people here: Futurama is the funniest of the two by far. Family Guy is often not even worth a chuckle me thinks.

DanielDeFig

Oct 22, 2009
Futurama is more laid back and therefore easier to watch for pure "i'm bored, what now?" entertainment. But it also has a lot more bad puns, its a lot more static, and generally not as intelligent as Family Guy. I like them both and watching too much Family guy can get a little intense, while watching too much Futurama can get a little boring.