Poll: Gamer Girlfriends

ensouls

Feb 1, 2010
As a girlfriend, I do game a bit. Not as much as I'd like because of lack of time/money. Used to play RO a lot in high school, now I just get and play whatever looks interesting and my computer can handle. Mostly single-player, FPS or RPG. I do borrow the fiancee's xbox sometimes (I slaughtered Red Dead way before he did) but most of the time it's half-life or prince of persia or similar.

He plays WoW a lot, and some other MMOs. It's never been an issue, and I think it's probably better that I'm not into those.

Project_Xii

Jul 5, 2009
I have one currently. She's just not very good at it. She gets points for enthusiasm though.

Most she can manage is the things that don't require to many simultaneous button pushes, so:
on the rails shooters, Flower, button mashing fighters, and Wii games. Though she's more then happy to watch me play some of the more epic games. She loves the Half Life series, but also watched the entirity of Uncharted 2 and Heavy Rain.

JordanXlord

Mar 29, 2010
*crys*

i have yet to meet a gaming girl that is single and then there was the time one of the gaming girls i liked...turned out to be a lesbian.

so would i ever date a non-gamer

Hell no

most of the girls i have met are Tone Deaf (Because they think Justin Beiber is Actually GOOD)

But if i had a gamer girlfriend, it would make the world to me :)

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
My girlfriend is a big gamer, just like me.
She recently bought herself a PS3 as well, so we'll play RDR online and when we're together we'll usually play Borderlands, Castle Crashers, SARPBC, Worms 2: Armageddon and Pokemon.

She and I both preordered Pokemon Black and White. I got white and she got Black, so we'll pick them up next week when they come out in Australia.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
Darkauthor81 said:
canadamus_prime said:
Damn it! I voted 'No' before I noticed that 'No, but I really want one option'.
Suffice it to say, YOU LUCKY BASTARD!!
I have no luck with women, I don't even know how to talk to 'em nevermind pursue relationships.
Talk to them like you would anyone else dude. They have bewbs but they're the same creatures as your mom, your teachers, etc etc. Just because they're cute doesn't make them some foreign visitor you need know a special language to speak to.

If you're getting nervous. Then you're simply caring too much. You get wrapped up in "What if she likes me. What if she doesn't like me. I really hope she likes me. Oh god I hope she likes me." It's like diving off a diving board. If you start thinking about what might happen if you slip, or fall, etc etc you'll never jump. Stop thinking. Defiantly stop caring. And just go. The chances this girl is "the one" is next to zilch so you're getting nervous over nothing.

It's takes practice. But you'll get it if you try. Trust me, I use to be paralyzingly shy when I was in high school.
Thanks, but that isn't very helpful since I'm not very good at doing that either. Just talking to normal everyday people makes me a nervous wreck as I'm always afraid I'm going to say something wrong or odd that'll give them a reason to shun me or worse, harass me. There's some history behind that, but nevermind that. Fact is there are extremely few people I can actually relax around and feel comfortable talking to without being nervous. I hate being sociable and talking to people. I can't understand how people can go out to clubs and bars and other such social events to unwind, because to me that's me stressful than my college classes. So if I were to try that, I'd then need to unwind from that.
That's why I spend much of my time on the computer playing games.
With a handicap like that, pursuing romantic relationships is virtually impossible. Doesn't help that I'm not even sure how to proceed in that area either.

Ladette

Feb 4, 2011
I was/am a gamer girlfriend, and my current girlfriend is big into RTS games. She's also much better than me at WoW.

Lately she's been hogging the 360 and playing through my Bioware games collection.

Brutal Peanut

This is so freakin aweso-BLARGH!
Oct 15, 2010
I'm a gaming wife.

I find myself playing a lot of games, except for most jrpgs and RTS (though I did make an exception for Starcraft 2).My favorites include Fallout 3, Psychonauts, Bioshock, Dragon Age, Mass Effect 1&2, Left 4 Dead (2). I used to play L.o.L a lot and C.O.D, and my husband and I played a lot of w.o.w since it's release. Though now he just plays a lot of Eve and Rift.

I was gaming before I met my husband though. My Dad was the first person to introduce me to video games when I was a kid. We played A LOT of Nintendo, Sega, Playstation, and he bought me my first Gameboy, with games. But I eventually made a switch from console to PC, and it's been a pretty great decision (for me). Even though,...my husband is kind of a collector of consoles, and we have all of them and most of their game titles.

Cyclone of Mystery

Mar 21, 2008
Honestly, I've seen more guys offended/weirded out by gaming girls than excited. Especially if the girl happens to know more about the industry/games in general than they do.

Icehearted

Jul 14, 2009
Yes. She wasn't a gamer before I'd gotten a hold of her, then she would either enjoy watching me play GTA or Silent Hill (horror buff) or we'd play UT2K4 and other PC games together. I don't necessarily prefer a "gamer girlfriend" as long as they don't give me any crap about one of my oldest hobbies.

foreveralone ;_;

Sepphyre

Mar 3, 2011
olfelix said:
We've been married for 10 years, we don't share consoles (key to a happy gaming marriage), we've played MMOs together for just over 7 years and are eagerly awaiting Dragon Age 2.
I wonder if MMOs hold a key to a happy relationship. I see many couples playing MMOs in the various guilds I have been in.

Your situation is very similar to mine. We have been together for 12 years and I got her into WoW. She played the SNES before we met so she already had the gamer in her. Since WoW we have tried Guild Wars, Age of Conan, Warhammer and Aion. As I type this, she is playing Rift :) She is also looking forward to Dragon Age 2, and also Guild Wars 2.

She is into it at least as much as I am. Being a chess coach, she is quite studious, and she researches these games to the nth degree... many notes and bookmarks!

olfelix

May 14, 2010
Sepphyre said:
olfelix said:
We've been married for 10 years, we don't share consoles (key to a happy gaming marriage), we've played MMOs together for just over 7 years and are eagerly awaiting Dragon Age 2.
I wonder if MMOs hold a key to a happy relationship. I see many couples playing MMOs in the various guilds I have been in.

Your situation is very similar to mine. We have been together for 12 years and I got her into WoW. She played the SNES before we met so she already had the gamer in her. Since WoW we have tried Guild Wars, Age of Conan, Warhammer and Aion. As I type this, she is playing Rift :) She is also looking forward to Dragon Age 2, and also Guild Wars 2.

She is into it at least as much as I am. Being a chess coach, she is quite studious, and she researches these games to the nth degree... many notes and bookmarks!
This is outstanding. We've gained a lot of great experiences playing MMOs, and what's better than sharing all your greatest gaming experiences with someone you're going to spend the rest of your life with?

Trolldor

Jan 20, 2011
We've gained a lot of great experiences playing MMOs, and what's better than sharing all your greatest gaming experiences with someone you're going to spend the rest of your life with?
Sex.

Edit: Not to say that it doesn't happen in your case. Just that it's better.

Amberella

Super Sailor Moon
Jan 23, 2010
I'm a gamer girlfriend. :) Lol.

And I have to say I'm pretty awesome and that my boyfriend is lucky to have me. ^.^

I prefer games where I can kill something.
It relieves stress. :))

Redford Blade

Mar 5, 2011
I was blessed to be found by a gamer girl, rather than the other way around.

We built our friendship up over her copy of Dynasty Warriors 3, tag-teaming Lu Bu at Hu Lao Gate. When we started dating, we made a custom game-type for our PC copies of Halo called "Lover's Quarrel" (maxed shields, Nuke-Gulch mod, infinite lives). I've never had a better console experience, or more trusted partner, than when we played co-op Resident Evil 5 on her PS3. Today, we sat together and watched the latest Zero Punctuation, then played our newly-purchased copy of Braid. Technically she was the one playing, but it was the combined might of our brains that allowed us to solve the puzzles.

Now that Planetside Next is coming out, I just need to get her more into PC shooters and war games. Nothing would make me happier than playing my favorite game of all time with my favorite person of all time.

taknarian

Nov 18, 2009
Never had a girlfriend, wish I had a gamer girl, that way we could play stuff like Team Fortress 2 together... or maybe League of Legends...

Nimcha

Dec 6, 2010
Sepphyre said:
olfelix said:
Perhaps, but they hold the key to a LOT of annoyance for innocent bystanders who happen upon the happy couple. You do not want to have such a couple in your raiding guild or PvP group... trust me. I say that from experience, I've been one half of such a couple once.

flim.geek.chic

Oct 22, 2009
My boy friend turned me on to games. Well got me off my Gamer Hiatus anyway. Right now we're are gushing about the up coming "Old Republic" MMO. Valentines Day I got a N7 tshirt, Steam (with 2 games) and He got a $100 gift certifficate for Bioware. And Finally We are going to PAX east together, I've planed Tali Vas Normanday, Mrs. Splosionman and Blue Pit Girl (from Monday night combat) cosplays.

Gentleman We Do exist.