Poll: Gamer Girlfriends

ScorpSt

Mar 18, 2010
I'm not sure I'd classify my wife as a girl gamer. She's more of a "girl who games". She does have her own DS and uses it mostly to play Pokemon, and when we recently got an Xbox, she immediately bought CoD for it and loves it. Still, her interest in video games isn't as strong as someone you'd consider a Gamer.

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
My girlfriend is the coolest girl on earth.

She plays everything I do (which is a wide variety of games), she cosplays as EVA for anime conventions (I cosplay as Big Boss. Match made in heaven.), she is a table top game freak (D&D and 40K), and her favorite series in the history of the world is Lord of the Rings.

And she does all of this while wearing my Boba Fett helmet.

Now excuse me, as I have to find out an army list to counter her Eldar.

EDIT: Her favorite games are Black Ops and Street Fighter 2.

Darkauthor81

Feb 10, 2007
SegaJanesis said:
ITT: Women thinking they can vote.

Kidding. I am one of your aforementioned gamer girls (writer for gamergyrl.com actually) and have always wondered whether or not guys preferred ladies who game. When I whip out my imported Japanese PSP or take over for a friend in a SSFIV match, guys always seem more stunned than excited.

Is it possible that girl gamers are too intimidating?
Their loss! The problem is that guys out number girls significantly in this hobby. So when you see a capable, cute, gamer girl you assume "She has her pick of any guy here. There's no way she's single. And even if she is, what do I have that none of these guys do?" That's what a lot of guys I've talked to have said. I was like "Well.... how about you try anyway? She's not going to eat you!"

JUMBO PALACE

Elite Member
Legacy
Jun 17, 2009
Country
USA
My ex was kind of a gamer. We played L4D together and I used to lend her my games after I beat them.

DetectiveSparky

Size doesn't matter
Jul 16, 2009
Honestly girls who game sometimes have the same problem about finding someone who respects them as gamers not merely as the novelty of being a female who games. I'm not one of those "rah, I am woman, see me game!" I didn't start dating til I was in University, and now I'm engaged, granted I'm picky and really didn't feel like bothering with dating in high school.

My fiancé and I are about equal with gaming tastes, we prefer co-op games to play together, doesn't really matter what type of game, as long as there is co-op campaign. We'll sometimes foray into multiplayer, mostly if my brother in-law is playing (that's the FPS types). And we'll do team based PVP with friends.

I don't know if I would say that it would be vital that I was dating someone that gamed, but it's helpful mostly because I'm a pretty big junkie (my collection is around 500 games, and I'm only about a third complete?). So it was just really important that I had someone that understood my love of video games, and the fact that he plays games with me, and WANTS to play with me is just icing on the cake.

My word of advice to anyone really is, don't be creepy. Don't be one of those people that try to flex their virtual muscle by saying "I bet I can beat you at x" I work part-time at a LAN centre, and I get all kinds of gamers coming in, it doesn't matter what gender, you get all types. If you're interested in a gamer, just try to find out what kind of games they like, or suggest some easy type co-op games to play together if they're not a gamer but are kinda interested in at least trying. And most importantly, don't ignore your significant other for a game, I have a wonderful story of how this guy lost his wife because of Gears of War 2, which I won't elaborate unless someone wants to hear it.

tharglet

Jul 21, 2010
Where's the "I am a gamer gf/wife"? :p

I play games more often than my hubby does, lol. I wouldn't want to be with someone who doesn't really understand my main hobby tbh. I find it's better trait to share rather than not share.

Mister Benoit

Sep 19, 2008
Ionait said:
Why is there not a "I am a gaming girlfriend" option. xD I guess to participate I could just choose "I have never known the touch of a woman"..

In middle school and high school I dated guys who were into games, but not as much as I was. Before I knew them super well, I just saw their video game walls and figured we'd work out. But then I always realized that gaming wasn't their main hobby like it was for me and they didn't like rambling about games like I did. Disappointing. :( Not that it was ever a relationship deal breaker, just sad.

As I have said on this site a few times, I met my husband while playing Final Fantasy XI, so needless to say, I finally found someone just as obsessed with games as me.
O snap, I <3 FFXI.. If I could play it lightly I would but I can't. I've met some really cool folks on there that I still chat with time to time years later.

As for me all the girls i've been with have been into games to a certain degree. Me and my current girlfriend though don't really enjoy the same games but we still try to find common ground.

One good example of a genre is platformers, they are by far my favorite and I've been playing them for ages. While she likes to slowly walk through them exploring and such I find my enjoyment from trying to speed run through them. As you can probably guess there was a lot of cussing going around while playing NSMBW. We had a good time with Galaxy II though because she likes being my back up.

I told her if she ever wants to seal the deal with me to complete Super Meat Boy =p That'd be the sexiest thing ever.

A good time I recently had though was when a buddy of mine and his girlfriend were over, we played 4 player Raskulls but you could've sworn 2 games were being played because every race was me vs. him and my lady vs his. We'd finish the race then wait 30 seconds for them to catch up.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
SegaJanesis said:

Kidding. I am one of your aforementioned gamer girls (writer for gamergyrl.com actually) and have always wondered whether or not guys preferred ladies who game. When I whip out my imported Japanese PSP or take over for a friend in a SSFIV match, guys always seem more stunned than excited.

You may be on to something. I refer you to:

If someone uses success at videogames to prop up their masculinity (I'm looking at you XBox Live) then being beaten at Street Fighter by your girlfriend is emasculating. If I were feeling cynical (and I am) I would say that what guys really want is a girl who will watch _them_ play videogames and make appreciative noises at regular intervals.

Darkauthor81

Feb 10, 2007
Kalezian said:
out of all three girlfriends I ever had, none of them were girl gamers.

One actually broke up with me because of games.

While I personally think being a couple that loves something together is practically asking for disaster, it would be a nice change of pace than what I have had.
Then you've never been in a relationship where the two of you love something together. I've always known that having a gamer girlfriend would be awesome and that I'd never be able to be with a girl I couldn't talk to about games.

Relationships are all about communication. If you game half the day and you're with someone who doesn't get games then that's half of your day that you aren't comfortable even bringing up. That's a relationship disaster from the very start.

Darkauthor81

Feb 10, 2007
castlewise said:
SegaJanesis said:

You may be on to something. I refer you to:

If someone uses success at videogames to prop up their masculinity (I'm looking at you XBox Live) then being beaten at Street Fighter by your girlfriend is emasculating. If I were feeling cynical (and I am) I would say that what guys really want is a girl who will watch _them_ play videogames and make appreciative noises at regular intervals.
Then they're idiots that aren't ready for a relationship anyway. Their social ineptitude just saved you from being hit on by a jack ass and maybe a really bad first date. lol Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

great-paladin

Mar 10, 2009
My girlfriend and i have similar tastes in games and therfore have no problem playing together, it makes gaming so much more fun.

nekoali

Aug 25, 2009
hmmmm. Well, chalk me up for a 'I am a gamer girlfriend' too. Unfortunately, I've never had a game girlfriend myself... None of the girls I dates were into gaming and never really picked it up when I tried to introduce them to it. All of my boyfriends were gamers, but I was always more into it then they were. Which is not surprising, since gaming is a huge part of my life.

Maybe someday I'll meet that perfect gaming mate of my own and we'll go off to get married in WoW and have lots of virtual babies in the Sims. :)

Intronaut

Dec 24, 2010
Well, my gf plays scrabble on her cell phone. She claims to be a sega genesis master as well, but this remains unconfirmed.

Darkauthor81

Feb 10, 2007
tharglet said:
Where's the "I am a gamer gf/wife"? :p

I play games more often than my hubby does, lol. I wouldn't want to be with someone who doesn't really understand my main hobby tbh. I find it's better trait to share rather than not share.
Hey hey hey. This poll is for social awkward guys who greatly outnumber the girls who share our interest. It's worth talking about when a guy gets with a girl gamer.

Girls, on the other hand, have a pick of the litter.

So when a guy stands up and says "I have a girl gamer girlfriend!" We all stand up and cheer his luck and his ability to avoid saying anything the first date that would get him maced.

When a girl gamer stand up and says "I have a guy gamer boyfriend!" We go "...Well, duh." and the crickets start chirping in the dead silence.

castlewise

Lord Fancypants
Jul 18, 2010
Darkauthor81 said:
Then they're idiots that aren't ready for a relationship anyway. Their social ineptitude just saved you from being hit on by a jack ass and maybe a really bad first date. lol Don't look a gift horse in the mouth.
I don't think I'm in any danger of being asked out by a young jack ass seeing as I'm old, married, and a guy. But I see where the confusion is coming from.