Poll: Gamers Over 30 Are ?Weird?

Ninedeus

Feb 26, 2010
Of course not. There are a lot of gamers over 30 that I know. But many people do believe that games are just for kids and books are for adults. Little do they know of the times.

All I know is that if I ever reach old age, I'd still be playing a PSP or something like that on my deathbed.

Feb 13, 2008
SirBryghtside said:
Yeah! I mean, you're more than twice 30, and it hasn't stopped you from gaming! :p
Still young enough to kick your ass, sonny ;)

Oh, and my dad still games, at 75. Far fitter than any of those couch potatoes as well.

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
Wait. People exist that are over TWENTY-FIVE and live at home?! Baffling and frightening at the same time.

Mace Tulio

Feb 5, 2011
I know a man named Doug. Though he never admits his age, he's easily over 80. He owns an Xbox 360, PS3 and at least four gaming PC's. His favourite games include Call of Duty: Black Ops and Counter-Strike. He enjoys the medium because he finds films unsatisfying and books too slow paced. So no, people who play video games over the age of 30 aren't weird. They're making a conscious decision based on their own tastes.

Mouse One

Jan 22, 2011
According to industry studies, the average age of someone buying a AAA game is 34. But there's no question that there's a bit of a "games are for unwashed fat twenty year old male virgins" stigma out there, so even if you're an avid gamer, you're not going to broadcast that fact. So the stereotype lives on.

Heh. If you toss casual games into the equation, the average gamer is a forty something woman. Who probably watches the Today show.

RhombusHatesYou

Surreal Estate Agent
Mar 21, 2010
Between There and There.
Country
The Wide, Brown One.
Chibz said:
Wait. People exist that are over TWENTY-FIVE and live at home?! Baffling and frightening at the same time.
It's more common now than it used to be.

GFC killed a lot of jobs, wiped a lot of savings and did really unpleasant things to people with mortgages. Add in that a lot of places also had a rental property shortage (or at least affordable rental properties)... Hell yeah a lot of people over 25 had to move back in with their more financially secure parents.

Zanakanishi

Apr 21, 2009
I work in a game shop, my manager is over 30 and is a big gamer, an acheivement perfectionist etc and he is one of the most down to earth people i have met, i mean gaming is just a life choice, such as sport or people who have a hobby after work or some crap, I could say the exact same about people who have ANY hobby that takes up a lot of time and are over the age of 30 are weird... gaming is just a way to pass the time, same as any other hobby, those people just seem like inbreed idiots to talk about something they have no idea about, it's kind of funny actually.

psicat

Feb 13, 2011
Stupid and rather insulting stereotypes should just be ignored. I'm a 34 year old female gamer, and I'll quite happily remain a gamer for the rest of my life as long as I'm able to.

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
As I am very quickly approaching 30, I think they're full of shit.
On the other hand...........

Chibz

Sep 12, 2008
RhombusHatesYou said:
GFC killed a lot of jobs, wiped a lot of savings and did really unpleasant things to people with mortgages. Add in that a lot of places also had a rental property shortage (or at least affordable rental properties)... Hell yeah a lot of people over 25 had to move back in with their more financially secure parents.
What does GFC mean?

Honestly, I don't think I know a single person over 25 who lives at home with their parent(s). Like me. I'm too awesome to move back home. Wait, does it count as "living at home" if you're temporarily there to cat sit?

Farseer Lolotea

Mar 11, 2010
Okay. One uptight suit and two middle-aged teenagers, going off about how gamers over 30 are weirdos and basement-dwellers unless there are kids involved?

What a load of condescending smirky bullcrap. Games are no more inherently juvenile than, say, television.

RollForInitiative

Mar 10, 2009
I make them for a living and plenty of people on our team are over 30. So what do you make of that, o ye woefully uneducated fools?

Apr 24, 2008
Ha!

Medium war! Fight for validity! Slander be thy weapon...

The newspapers have been attacking television for years, it's tv's turn to be worried and take it out on the internet and gaming.

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
People who don't know shit about gaming think they are competent to talk about it. The world is full of idiots. What else is new?

I bet they wouldn't dare to say that to Vin Diesel.

Matthew Valkanov

Jun 8, 2011
Haha! I just giggled when I saw it's a show with one of those women's perspective set ups, but apparently is about women wanting to know what men think? HA. I especially love the incredibly sad man-symbol instead of an O in "the Other View". Good God, and it's older game players that are meant to be weird?

PS; sheesh the number of 30 year olds on here make me feel incredibly young, please let a few of those irritating little pre-pubescent squealing shites off of the Xbox Live come and add their opinions, just to balance me out.