Poll: Gamers Over 30 Are ?Weird?

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
The scary thing is that most of the people who watch the Today Show will likely agree with him.

Get a brain you Deutsch-bag!

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
I'm a gamer
I'm over thirty (oh boy... when did that happen?)
I'm weird

but that's just personal, it doesn't mean everyone over the age of thirty that enjoys playing games is weird, their just gamers.

It's me that's weird

mandaforever

Feb 16, 2011
IamQ said:
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Well I'm 30 next year. :( But it makes it okay if I'm female right? RIGHT?

[small]It probably makes it worse doesn't it...[/small]

But seriously video games are the biggest entertainment industry in the world and we aren't supposed to like it? Sigh.
Female? That makes it awful! You should be out shopping, gossiping about celeberties and exploiting men at bars! Don't you understand? That is what a normal and healthy life looks like!
haha, I happen to be female and this makes me laugh because all of those things ((except shopping)) sound AWFUL. "Normal" and "healthy" women seem so dull and foreign to me!

Oh well

*goes back to playing Terraria for five hours shamelessly*

aldowyn

Mar 1, 2010
That article says that people should have "something more on their minds than video games".

Well, who shouldn't? That doesn't mean we, or they, can't PLAY them! That's like saying we can't watch movies because we should be thinking about more important things! :/

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
aldowyn said:
That article says that people should have "something more on their minds than video games".

Well, who shouldn't? That doesn't mean we, or they, can't PLAY them! That's like saying we can't watch movies because we should be thinking about more important things! :/
Yeah, I agree. I mean, just because you do something doesn't mean that's all you do.

Off-Topic: Anybody else think that shot of Deutsch makes him look like a reptilian humanoid?

DustyDrB

Made of ticky tacky
Jan 19, 2010
xXxJessicaxXx said:
Well I'm 30 next year. :( But it makes it okay if I'm female right? RIGHT?

[small]It probably makes it worse doesn't it...[/small]

But seriously video games are the biggest entertainment industry in the world and we aren't supposed to like it? Sigh.
I wouldn't worry about what people say on a show that caters to the people who gorge on celebrity gossip.

We just have to show them that gamerdom is full of awesome people like us.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
Nah nah nah... Like most people leading a false assumption, they can't handle evidence to the contrary. Games are for whoever. Did you hear the one about the granny who likes Destroy All Humans! and such? Yeah, BAM. She was enjoying herself. I'm 30 NOW, and the only reason I'm weird is because that's how I've ALWAYS been. Playing games doesn't do it. That's what they call a red herring.

Meltyman

Jul 15, 2010
Farther than stars said:
Honestly though, why did you make a poll out of this? This is a gaming site about games. Did you actually think that anything less than an overwhelming majority would vote "no"? 0.o
people are different, there are people who think that by stopping "gaming" they will "grow up".

just interested to see are there many of these kinda people...

EDIT:
Fusioncode9 said:
Meltyman said:
http://www.gamesetwatch.com/2011/07/today_show_gamers_over_30_are_.php

what is your opinion on this ?

to me games are ment to be played no matter what age.
(over the legal age for the game ofcourse hehe)

hope there aint a similiar post made, if there is.. im sorry :)
I'm sure your post pissed off a lot of Grammar Nazis.
im from Finland, i dont care, i live in snow every day

Nickompoop

Jan 23, 2011
They just are denying that video games are an art form. They simply want to continue to bath in their ignorance and to maintain their current mindset that games are for children.

And they can do that. I don't care. It's not like anyone with the power to prevent the mainstreaming of video games watches the show anyways.

Ham_authority95

Dec 8, 2009
Meltyman said:

I guess it's society's way of saying "Okay, enough fun! Go raise the next generation now, asshole."

You know what, fuck those people. Fun is mean't to be enjoyed at any age.

boag

Sep 13, 2010
Meltyman said:

Itll be a very cold day in hell, before a ***** takes away gaming from me.

frizzlebyte

Oct 20, 2008
RhombusHatesYou said:
frizzlebyte said:
Off-Topic: Anybody else think that shot of Deutsch makes him look like a reptilian humanoid?
Quick, call David Icke!
He ceased being David Icke on April 29, 1991. He gave up football to follow a higher calling.

MrMuttonChops

Jan 5, 2011
I don't think it's weird. My Dad is in his fifties and he's splitting the money for Battlefield 3 with me. He's also completed Red Dead Redemption numerous times.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Kuroji said:
What nonsense.

You don't get too old for music, films, books or any other form of entertainment. Just shows the perpetuating belief that games are for kids.

Edit: Oh, they mean "those weird ones in the basement". That makes it just fine and dandy.
Oh my god, how the hell could you get the very first post so right?

OT: What this guy said.

Draitheryn

Jan 20, 2010
stupid argument really, my generation was the first to really grow up with mass production of videogames and the medium has only gotten stronger. Ive been playing videogames for 25+ years now and I am more into them now than Ive ever been. As the years go on it will become more and more accepted as a medium, the issue is it was originally geared at children, its harder just to pick up and get into than any other medium and its an easy scapegoat for our parents generation who doesnt understand it fully.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Are they? No.

Here, let me tell you what that article is really saying beneath the layers of bullshit:

"Since we can't directly attach stigma to the entirety of the hobby (gaming) anymore we're trying to associate that hobby with a specific age group so that it creates a new type of stigma."

Yes, they are subtly calling everyone who plays video games immature (or less mature than them), and they're doing it to make themselves look/feel better. Their "logic" being that only young adults and children *should* even bother (without providing a single reason why; it's their sole argument in the article).

Why, if that's true, why don't we apply this same logic to other hobbies?
Or other mediums?

Oh wait...they don't, because their argument ASSUMES that only children/young adults play video games in the first place. I wonder if they ever stopped and considered who fucking MAKES video games.

Meltyman

Jul 15, 2010
i dont fully get few of the arguments here like: the extra credits (yes i've seen it and i agree with it mostly) thing about being called "gamer", to me a "gamer" is one who plays too much videogames. there are similiar usage for different hobbies like "bookworm", "moviebuff" am i right? :p

the second one, who makes games... game developing is a job ? you are making the game for the CUSTOMER not for your age range only?

i don't think babies make their own toys at Hasbro do they ? ;)

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
Being 30, my opinion is quite biased. But I tend to find people around my age or older have the most interesting views on gaming simply because of how much the industry evolved since we got into it.