Poll: Gamers Over 30 Are ?Weird?

Commissar Sae

Nov 13, 2009
My Grandfather plays Video Games (not much mind you) and he's in his 70s. I also look back and think to myself, will I be gaming in 6 years. The answer is of course, baring apocalypse.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
Of course! We all know how weird adult fans of sport games are, right? Sports are supposed to be played by kids and maybe teens, then they should move on. That's just the way things should be.

strongarm85

Jun 16, 2011
I just made a post on The Today's show's wall about the subject, let's vote it up and talk about it so that stays on top.

http://www.facebook.com/today?sk=wall

badmunky64

Sep 19, 2007
everyone always talks about how kids need more education.

I disagree.

Morning show talk host need it WAY more than children

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Mind telling me who writes all these games? Coz I'm pretty sure Schafer, Molyneux, and a lot of the rest are over 30.
In all fairness from what ive seen of Molyneux, hes preaty weird.

Metal Brother

Jan 4, 2010
I don't get offended easily, but when I saw this on TV at the gym the other day, my blood boiled. What absolute bullshit. If this makes men weird, shouldn't women give up their juvenile pastimes, like talking on the phone and going clothes shopping?

Darwins_Folly

Jan 16, 2010
Well I turned 29 this year, and I'm pretty sure I'll be gaming after I turn 30. Not to say that I'm not weird, but that has nothing to do with gaming.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
A lot of people i know who are over 30 play video games and none of them are basement dwellers, they all have wives, kids and enjoy playing a truck simulator, racing game or just messing around in GTA. Unless TV stops sucking in the next 8 years i will still be playing video games when i'm 30.

Saviordd1

Jan 2, 2011
We're talking about women who have enough surgery to put a whole hospital to shame and are wearing clothes that are REALLY not fitting and are gossiping about crap they don't understand, why are we even acknowledging them instead of...say, giving them a bone and locking them in a cage?

Razzigyrl

Mar 22, 2011
Pfah! Silliness. I'm from a family of gamers, starting with my grandma, who got the NES way back when it came out, and continued to get and enjoy the next new game systems until she died, and my parents who enjoy racing games. Trying to declare an age limit is fluff and nonsense put forth by ninnies.

mikespoff

Oct 29, 2009
I dunno, a bunch of middle-aged people getting made-up and preened so they can go onto a TV set and blabber about random things that they have no knowledge or understanding of...

...and then other people watch them and find them entertaining and use that they see to form their own opinions...

That's some pretty weird shit right there.

TheLoneBeet

Feb 15, 2011
If you can be too old to play games, then I guess you can be too old to read books or watch movies or enjoy any other medium of entertainment. I suppose you're supposed to become serious and boring once you hit thirty? If that's the case why don't we all kill ourselves at twenty-nine?

The only people who will take this seriously are the kind of people who don't have their own opinion and just accept whatever their TV spouts at them.

IMAGinES

Jun 1, 2009
Yes.

Hey, I'm a gamer over 30, and I'm weird.

Not necessarily 'cos I dig videogames, mind you. I'm just weird.

Rpground

Aug 9, 2009
anyone notice its always women that say this? some woman that had this talk show directed to women talks down to men all the time. i dont know the name seeing as im just going off memory here...im not being sexist here,its just that ive only seen women ***** about this kinda thing. and no dont count Jack Thompson,its almost a given that anyone that plays games knows of this guy...

but anyway,no. it doesnt matter what age you are gaming over 30 doesnt make you "weird".

its like saying your too old to enjoy a movie or a book or music...wish people would know what their talking about before they spout this stuff out of their ass...

WonderWillard

Feb 4, 2010
I HATE people who are ignorant about video games. We seriously need to get a new name for it, because people use the term "video games" with such a juvenile connotation, ugh it really pisses me off. That was a very irritating video to watch, the disgust they showed towards video games. It is completely normal for men AND women off ANY age to be gaming. Most of the games I play are miles ahead in maturity and depth than a lot of movies (Transformers COUGH COUGH) and other forms of entertainment.

Heartcafe

Feb 28, 2011
OH NO!
PEOPLE THINK THAT PLAYING GAMES OVER 30 ARE WEIRD. When I reach 30, I should stop doing what I love because everyone else thinks it's weird. *sarcasm

Exile714

Feb 11, 2009
I'm 26 and a half, so I have a good three and a half years left of solid, socially acceptable gaming. And then when I turn 30, I plan to stop completely.

I hope there are some good games between now and then... because I really want to go out with a bang before I never play games again.

People say you just stop liking games at 30, that it's genetic and part of the aging process. I can't understand that now, but I guess when I get older I will. Just like how I will like coffee and always wear my shirt tucked in and I will start being able to wake up at 5AM without complaining.

I feel like I'm going to miss gaming, but I guess that's just my youth confusing me. Like when you graduate from high school (or whatever it's called outside the US) and you feel like you will miss your friends but then years later you won't care about going to your 10 year reunion because you haven't been in contact with them for a decade.

The most disappointing thing, however, is that I will miss out on all the great advances in gaming. Motion control was kind of a let down, but it brought us one step closer to virtual reality like we envisioned as kids. When that becomes real, my kids will have to enjoy it for me, playing in a virtual Minecraft v7.4 world with all of their friends under 30. All the while, I will live out the rest of my grey, sad, videogame-less life waiting for my inevitable end, remembering the best years of my life when I was young enough to play videogames.