Poll: Games aren't gay enough.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
Well, I'm not gay myself, so I guess less gay? It isn't something I really want to see much. That said, I had no problems with Cortez in Mass Effect 3 because he didn't make a deal out of it. So take that how you well.

VeneratedWulfen93

Oct 3, 2011
Just so you know I'm not here to poke fun or be an arsehole. I'm here to find an answer to a question I've had stuck in my head recently. Any insensitivity is probably due to the fact I care very little about polotical correctness and I lack alot of tact when it comes to matters such as this.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
There's a very big difference between Paedophilia and Ephebophilia.

Knowing the difference when talking about such things is fairly vital.

Zeckt

Nov 10, 2010
So your talking that ME3 does not count which in my eyes it really should, because I believe sexuality should be an OPTION in games and I hate it when gay AND straight relationships get shoved into my face. I think your seeking to detract from gaming by forcing views on people who just don't care, because that seems to be the point your getting across to me with you saying you don't want it to be optional and you want it to be mandatory.

I DON'T want to play oversexualized games, and I don't want to be criticized for not wanting to ever see them and be accused of being a gay hater or something ridiculous. I'm bi irl, and when I play games sexuality is the last thing on my mind. Please keep it optional because I DON"T want to see it! Your talking of forcing sexuality down peoples throats where it has no business being.

If a game gets praised for having gays or lesbians make out and FORCING the gamer to suffer through it, I will not buy it. Sexuality in gaming should always be OPTIONAL gay or no! in a way this topic reminds me of that gay couple in American dad. No one cares they are gay, so they go out of their way to seek attention because of it. And its funny because that is an accurate assessment of ALOT of the gay community.

Sexuality = OPTIONAL!! don't force it on me like you think it should be! thank you!

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
VeneratedWulfen93 said:
Okay my comments were hurtful, I kinda meant for it to be because I'm a bit of a hateful prick. However I still want an answer to this resolved. People are born gay, can discover they are gay or move through a phase. They are called gay. people could be born a paedophile, discover they are one or move through a phase and these people are hated and abused rather than given the means to reform themselves. If its a sickness cure it, just remember that people once considered being gay an illness.

@mgirl It was my ignorance that caused that. I was unaware that paedophiles had to rape or whatever. I believed it was just the term for having sex with an under-age partner.
uh huh...so now your back peddling out of that double hole you dug

because you then took another non conventional but harmless relationship (age difference) and compared it to paedophilia...nice going

weather or not paedophelia is a sickness (it seems more like an unfortunate fetish but I'm no experet) It still should not be compared to homosexuality because aside from the "harms no one" factor..."what to do with paedophiles" is a SEPERATE issue alltogther...in regards to that people should understand you cant make people just "go away" there needs to be a solution for those to prevent them from offending...

I'm also somwhat bothered by your previous comments about england...I mean I could just as easyly say "well where I come from furries are everywhere and completly open about it! whats the problem bro?"

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Zeckt said:
and take issue with this only because....it kind of feels like me complaining I'm having "guns" shoved down my throat in a game like uncharted

It may be somthing that you personally are not interested in seeing in a game but I belive that its whatever the creator wants to create

Starik20X6

Oct 28, 2009
There could stand to be more homosexual game protagonists. That said, the only thing worse than diversity is forced, stilted, pandering, 'for the sake of it' diversity. If you want to say something about what it's like to be gay or whatever, go for it. If you're just doing it as a "hey look everyone, we've got a gay main character, everyone give us free publicity" type deal, that's kinda crap. The fact that your character is gay shouldn't define them as a person, so to speak. It shouldn't be the only character trait they have.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
VeneratedWulfen93 said:
SkarKrow said:
VeneratedWulfen93 said:
I know no gay people because like I said, in England its no big deal.
Idk, I went through high school being open and it was pretty hellish, and I encounter a fair bit of discrimination based on my orientation and i live in England.

That said it's like water off a ducks back, i couldn't care less what they think of me.
It's definately less of an issue here than the US though, much less extreme opinions on the matter and I definately found people at uni more accepting of it.
For me at least, in the North-East we take the piss to show we care. The common greeting around my friends is "Areet shithead." to which the response is "Ah fuck off ya twat." Everytime something happens we just rip the piss out of eachother. We have thick skin over here, can't speak for anywhere out of the North East however but insults and people saying shit really doesn't matter. People use Gay as an insult which I find hilarious because I'm pretty sure a gay person won't be insulted by getting called gay. People can say and do what they want, i really don't care unless its something I feel deeply passionate about then it gets real.

Its hard for me to grasp it as well as americans because like I said I know 1 lesbian and thats it. Surely your Uni experience didn't involve getting beat up or murdered.
We do that here a lot in the northwest too, but there's a difference between taking the piss out of each other in a friendly way and directed hate. There are a lot of ignorant people and ahardline christians around here unfortunately so that probably lent itself to it a lot.

No my uni experience so far has been good and nobody cares that I like other boys, high school was hell but uni is great, can't wait to move out of this part of the world though.

People calling me gay isn't insulting, though I'm bisexual (even the gay kids picked on me in highschool for being "selfish", whatever the fuck that means), but being called a worthless ****** all the time is.

I'm glad that isn't my world any more =]

fuzz

Aug 27, 2012
If developers want to create gay characters then I'm all for it. If they don't it's no skin off my nose.

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
You make a good point False Nobility. It would be nice to see more diversity in terms of characters in games. However, I don't think its because of any malice on the developers part. Its just lazy writing or plain writing. For example, there are no women in Stalker: Call of Pripyat. None are even mentioned. Now I don't think that the people at GSC are misogynists. They probably didn't want to build female character models, and didn't really think about adding a women into the game.

I think we might start to see more gay main characters in the near future, but only as a marketing stunt to create controversy. After that, we will hopefully see some good gay main character. Just remember that most games are struggling with the "female protaganist" thing.

VeneratedWulfen93 said:
Back to being serious a girl in my class was 14 when she had a 19 year old boyfriend, nothing happened other than usual bullshit relationship arguments. No one got hurt. In fact she hung around with all the girl who were like that. I wouldn't call it common but the fact I'm trying to put across is that a sexual predator isn't the term for this. Nobody was harmed.
I feel I should point out that what you're describing isn't Paedophilia, it's good old Statutory Rape. Its quite a big difference. Paedophilia is an mental condition adult being attracted to Pre-pubesants, while Statutory Rape is a law.

Also, you can compare Homosexuality and Paedophilia if you want, but it doesn't make much sense in context.
Edit1: I actually kind of see the point you're trying to make VW93. At Paedophilia used to be ok, but its now considered a sickness, while with Homosexuality its the other way around. I mean, the Greeks used to fuck kids, and we still like them, and put a lot of weight in the philosophy. Lots of them were gay too but thats neither here nor there.Its good to look at how society's perspective can change. Its an interesting discussion to have, but nows not really the time for it. Its a super awkward conversation to have as well.

Edit2: Im actually very disappointed in the amount of people saying "No, I don't want homosexuality to be shoved in my face". I expected better really.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I think it needs to go with the story and fit the character. That is the biggest mistake the entertainment industry has done so far with this issue. It seems like some are staying away from it while others are jumping on the "Gay" wagon.

Let me put it this way... would you want Kratos, God of War with the sexual appetite of a bunny from the depths of hell.

turn into this?

I wouldn't...

Now don't get me wrong. I do love gay characters. Fenris from Dragon Age is hot and has a personality type that would warrant such a sexual preference. He has issues with connecting to people, but if he does become connected it is a very powerful one.

and I do love how well he can be cosplayed

Perhaps I just prefer my boys skinny and weak looking compared to the stomping hulks that most men appear like in video games.

rhintintin

Mar 3, 2010
Many characters in computer games are not really depicted as having a sexuality. In the Tomb Raider games was Lara Croft depicted as being heterosexual (I don't actually know having only played 10 mins of any of the games)? Duke Nukem was certainly straight, or at least was massively over compensating for being gay. Mario is interested in the Princess but Luigi we never know.

In Lemmings there were hundreds of the little buggers, there is a high chance some of those were gay or lesbian. Ryu and Ken are depicted as friends but in their chosen profession perhaps coming out would be a bad idea, especially as E Honda strikes me as being a potential homophobe. Maybe the twist at the end of Half Life episode 3 is that Gordon Freeman's first words will be "I've got something to tell you all. I'm gay"?!

On a more serious note, I'm happy to have more gays and lesbians in games but I wouldn't want to have it as some gimmicky inclusion. There is representation in games such as Grand Theft Auto when there is a big cast. I certainly don't think the industry has made a decision not to have gay heroes. Otherwise, why would we have Link?

MortisLegio

Nov 5, 2008
I vote that the sexuality of the character isn't important unless it's relevant to the plot or characters. In games that explore character back-stories and it has an effect on them in game, I have no problem with gay characters. If the player builds there own character and can choose their sexuality, than the character can be gay. But, in games where that has NO bearing on the plot or character development/interactions than I would say no.

Simplified: If being gay is not relevant to the story or characters than it's not needed.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Zack Alklazaris said:
I think it needs to go with the story and fit the character. That is the biggest mistake the entertainment industry has done so far with this issue. It seems like some are staying away from it while others are jumping on the "Gay" wagon.

Let me put it this way... would you want Kratos, God of War with the sexual appetite of a bunny from the depths of hell.

turn into this?

I wouldn't...

Now don't get me wrong. I do love gay characters. Fenris from Dragon Age is hot and has a personality type that would warrant such a sexual preference. He has issues with connecting to people, but if he does become connected it is a very powerful one.

who says Kratos would be any different if he was gay?.....in fact I can kind of see it...he is ancient greek after all

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
PieBrotherTB said:
Smeggs said:
DEATHAGEDDON, LORD OF BONES
*snrk* teehee

Lord of Bones.

...What?...
I see it now... and I blame you.

Anyways, I dont see why there needs to be. Well, thats not to say there shouldnt, but while I havent played Persona 4 (or any actually), but as I did watch that episode of EC where they did talk about that character, and can say this:

In the case of that character, it was a part of the game, not a token bit of backstory that was put out there and left alone, you actually fight a being that reprsents his own fear of being viewed as gay. Though, as I havent played the game, Im not sure if he is actually gay, or is just scared of people not seeing him as the manly badass he wants to think of himself as.

Really, if you start including gay men and women or making main characters gay, just so they're there, its not gonna solve anything... if you are going to include gay characters, make it somewhat relevant, otherwise, its just useless details that can be dropped for more important ones.

Jammy2003

Feb 28, 2011
Overusedname said:
Metalhandkerchief said:
That is a huge, ENORMOUS falsification and exaggeration, the only stats we have indicate that 4% of people are exclusively gay, worldwide. If you count bisexuals you are looking at 7.5%. So you are way off there.
Not sure what you're going off of, but I'm guessing wikipedia or the source it used which is...well, flawed.

The confirmed percentage increase a little each year, suggesting people were simply lying. And most american's think it's what I said, reflecting that there are clearly a lot of gay people out there, many of whom keep it under wraps, contradicting the statistical with the personal:

http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2012/05/americans-have-no-idea-how-few-gay-people-there-are/257753/

This article supports the questionable statistic, but I just wanted to point out how many people support this idea that there are more gays than the numbers support.

Several sources state percentages over what I said, some under what you said, some in between. I shouldn't have brought percentages into it, I guess. A statistic on this sort of thing won't be accurate for another hundred years, really. I apologize for that.

Most LGBT members say that the overestimate is a good thing, as it shows people are starting to know more and more openly gay people and accepting them. So...I guess at least it's a good thing to be wrong about? I dunno lol.
That article doesn't support the statistic of 30% at all! It says that "U.S. adults, on average, estimate that 25 percent of Americans are gay or lesbian", but then goes on to say only 4% of those surveyed in 2011 guessed in the correct band of "Under 5%"

Sure, I imagine it is probably higher than 5% if everyone answered honestly, but no where near as much as 1/3 of the population

OT: Don't really have an issue with it going either way, I just want better written characters in general. If my character is a gay male, then establish that well enough as a PART of his personality and I'll be happy to play the game. I tire of 1 dimensional characters though, where one characteristic of their personality is picked and that is what defines them as a person. I've never met someone like that in real life, let alone found it to be the norm!

Basically, if it fits the story, then include appropriate characters. If it doesn't, don't. Either way, just make sure people are round out to be actual people. Not walking slabs of muscle/sex appeal/desire for revenge/selfless hero of the world, and actual people with personalities, desires and doubts.

Stormcloud23

Aug 15, 2008
Why isn't there a "Holy shit, who gives a fuck what consenting adults like to do in the privacy of their own home." option....

Aug 25, 2009
Not only games need more gay.

There needs to be more gay in general media. It shouldn't be only tiny little indie movies that have gay protagonists. Having a gay protagonist should just be one of things you can write without worry of reprisal. Sitcom gay people who aren't just massive flaming camp fairies but actual people who struggle with their sexuality in a world that doesn't accept them.

I've actually sometimes thought that games are kind of ahead in terms of the rest of the media in this regard. Have a gay relationship in Mass Effect and it's just another relationship (in-game, not meta) no different than if you shagged Miranda (as a guy). Try and name any other mainstream media property where the main character just 'had' a gay relationship and it wasn't made into a huge deal. I can't think of a single one where the relationship wasn't the focus, and usually ended badly.

Xaio30

Nov 24, 2010
A character shouldn't be man, woman, hetero, gay or bi just for the sake of having more of such characters.
Forcing these things almost never turn out alright.

I could not care less about if the main/side characters were gay.