Poll: Gay Main Character

loremazd

Dec 20, 2008
Plus, I'd have to say if I were a dev I certainly wouldn't go for it. I mean, just looking at the "as long as it wasn't over the top" and "only if it's not the main focus", even if they did make a gay protagonist, it'd likely piss off a lot of people that wanted it in the first place because it wasn't done properly.

AlphaOmega

Oct 10, 2008
I actually would like that, more minorities featured in things will force people to accept everybody.

LadyRhian

May 13, 2010
More gay characters? Well, i would like romance and whatnot to be open ended. You play as a male or female character, but your character can choose to romance anyone- guy, girl, whatever. I'd like all those romances to be equally good, not the "Oh, and if you choose a homosexual romance you can get the freaky guy who is always making creepy, suggestive comments, or the butch gal who will push you down and rape your character blind."

Heck, I'd even like it if male character romances and female character romances got the same amount of love. Bioware's Baldur's Gate games had this problem. If you play a male character, you have three romance options. Female characters get one, and the guy in question is a buttmunch. Not that the female characters are much better, but at least there you have a choice!

I shouldn't have to play the Sims to make characters that can romance and be romanced by any sex.

Danzaivar

Jul 13, 2004
I'd prefer it if we could work towards cutting sexual relationships out of (most) games. Can we leave the awkwardly put in romance plots to Hollywood, please? Crap like that should just be left up to the players imagination; you decide if Soap McTavish is gay or not for example.

Calderon0311

May 9, 2009
Depends: Can I control my preference? Will it have an impact on the story? How "close" will we get?

To put it into perspective, in FF8, when Squall and Riona finally cuddle on the ship while traveling back home. It was a touching moment, but felt kinda shallow for me since I (as the player) liked Qustis better. Riona, for all her faults and trials, never felt like something solid but rather just a plot device. On the other hand, Qustis felt "real", as she leaves SeeD on her own volition to be with Squall. (Who I completely lose respect for in the first CD with his dooshbag attitude towards her.)

Compared to Cecil and Rosa of FF4, where they get separated for a large portion of the game, and finally reunite together halfway in after a narrow escape from danger. I felt those two should never leave each other ever again.

So to sum it up. If you're going to have a gay "main" character with a romance sub-plot, then make sure their romantic partner and the main character are simple enough to empathize with, and complex enough to have an rich untold backstory. If anyone remember in Earthbound, Jeff's friend and roommate that takes good care of him? He's quite awkward, shy, and questionable if he wanted to be "more then just friends", but He's also a powerful figure by the end of the game too. And not like "Super Awesome HYPER" power, but subtle and instrumental towards the defeat of Gigas.

JokerCrowe

Nov 12, 2009
I really don't care about the protagonists sexuality. It's not going to change the way he/she saves the world. The only real change I could see would be in the romantic sub-plot, but I don't give a flying shit about that. Plus I think you can be gay in RPG's like Mass Effect and Dragon Age. (curiously ebough both Bioware games...)

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
As long as it doesn't feel like they made him gay just because it'll be fine.

Socius

Dec 26, 2008
DMonkey said:
Have you played a Final Fantasy game lately?
^thread

OT: in certein games like Dragonage you can choose to be homosexual by romancing men.
it's something often bounds to RPG's or sandboxes in general.

Mr Pantomime

Jul 10, 2010
youd be surprised how little sexuality comes into alot of games. Think about modern warfare 2 (its a good example as many people have played it). Did any of the characters ever reveal whether they were gay or straight?, or did you just assume. Many games dnt make a point of their characters sexuality at all.

reyttm4

Mar 7, 2009
I'd be fine with it unless they really shoved it in your face and made a big deal out of it. That'd probably just annoy me.

Valkyrie101

May 17, 2010
How do we know there aren't any? There are plenty of games, for example FPS's, where the character's sexuality is never touched upon. It's quite plausible that Ramirez is gay, for instance. [sub]Insert joke about him enjoying being ordered around by Sgt Foley.[/sub]

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Dango said:
I say no, but only because I prefer characters that I can relate to, besides, you can be gay in games like Mass Effect.
So you can't relate to a character if they're gay, full stop?

OT: I don't think many games bring up sexuality that much anyway, do they? Honestly, it doesn't affect me - but then I am white, male and hetero - but I'd be fine with a gay character. I think it'd need to play an important role in the characterisation though, instead of just "oh yeah, he's gay", simply because most games don't bring in sexuality of the character unless it's to build them in some way.

darthotaku

Aug 20, 2010
I'd like to see a game with a gay hero who fights to save his boyfriend.
After all, guys can be a damsel in distress too.

SextusMaximus

Nightingale Assassin
May 20, 2009
I have nothing against homosexuality, but I'd personally prefer to play as someone who straight. If I had a different sexual preference I probably would. Whatever makes the game more immersive...