Poll: Going Akimbo

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
KhaineII said:
...MW2 is supposed to be a realistic representation of warfare. Or, so it's developers would have us believe.
Well that's wrong.
The developer even specifically said that they were going for more of a Hollywood, action movie feel, not realism. Call of Duty has never been about 'realism'. They use real-world guns, real world locations, and real-world politics (Sort of), but that certainly doesn't make the game realistic. At all.

But, more on topic, I agree with the 'fun' part. And as long as the game isn't 'realistic' or shooting for realism, then who cares? I loved the akimbo MOD for Quake 3. It was hilarious! Dual rail-guns, or dual rocket launchers just made the game that much more entertaining. Now, if it came up in Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon or some other game series that at least attempts some degree of realism, then I would see how that would be just silly. But if it's just a fun shooter, then dual-wield away! It's fun.

aarontg

Aug 10, 2009
I have a love hate relationship with the akimbo option. Duel wielding machine guns or pistols is plenty good fun (especially with revolvers) but akimbo shotguns can go suck themselves. I had this one match where their was this one guy with akimbo rangers and no matter what I did to retaliate I was ripped apart with a hailstorm of lead pellets every time I got even remotely close to him, though it was funny when I was far away enough when he was fruitlessly trying to get close to me as his shots missed me by a mile quickly followed by a bullet between his eyes from my preferred spec of sub machine guns. What Im saying is akimbo is OK it just needs to be a bit more balanced.

Wargamer

Apr 2, 2008
Guns Akimbo should be reserved for weapons that can't hit shit, or kill shit; that way, by doubling the rate of fire (and, in theory, the damage) you get a weapon worth using.

Weapons that should never be allowed to fire akimbo are weapons that can already fuck over anyone you care to name. Or, rather, these weapons should not be used akimbo in a competitive multiplayer setting. Solo? Fine. Co-op? Fine. Why? Because nobody cares if the console / PC is on the receiving end of cheap shit. What's the 360 gonna do if I akimbo the NPCs with two godly powerful guns? Red-ring on me for it?

fix-the-spade

Feb 25, 2008
Games don't have enough dua lwielding.

You shoul dbe able to use two of EVERYTHING, it's a videogame for crying out loud, rule of cool says two gagtling guns is better than one.

Besides, effective use of grenades negates any advantage you get from having two guns.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
you point on MW2 being unrealistic is a joke, because a few months back IW pretty much said "screw realism, its more fun unrealistic", and because of that your little point was blunt.

on topic, i think akimbo should stay in games. i hate realistic games, because the stuff you can do is very limited, and that spoils the fun of it. i love games where you can do stuff thats completely senseless in the real world.

Sixties Spidey

Elite Member
Jan 24, 2008
Yeah, the word akimbo sounds like a sex-pose. And a damned painful sounding one... But anyway, Akimbo is good for about three reasons:

First: You're low on health, and blind firing with a rifle isn't doing a fucking thing.

Second: the Spec-ops missions require it to mow down enemies faster, so it helps if you have 3 other guys around going Akimbo with machine guns mowing down everyone in sight faster.

Third: It's freakin' hilarious!

But there are cons. no iron-sight aiming, so there is almost no way to tell where your bullets are headed. It's cheap when you are the one who's getting killed by it, and it's pretty unrealistic. I'm pretty sure if you were to dual wield Desert Eagles, I think both of your hands would break off just after you pull the trigger.

Christemo

Jan 13, 2009
Furburt said:
It don't work! The sheer concentration required to track two targets, pull the triggers and deal with the separate recoil is impossible. If you want it to be a John Woo movie, fine. If you want it to be realistic, don't.

Left 4 Dead 1 is probably the worst offender. Trying to shoot 2 .45's would probably end up breaking your wrist.

However, some are able to do it...

Basically what I'm saying is, yes you can do it, but it won't be very useful.
that man is fucking awesome.

mhitman

Sep 10, 2008
I gotta say that dual wielding shotguns in MW2 is extremely cheap and really annoying to be at the wrong end of. What makes it worse is that its usually in the hands of a 10 year old

Kozo

Nov 15, 2008
Akimbo Rangers in MW2 baby, when im moving around in tights spots, I always walk around with em. I've gotten bunch of kills by standing at a door opening and shooting down hordes of enemies comming.

It might be stupid, and annoying. But, holy crap its fun!

Acidwell

Beware of Snow Giraffes
Jun 13, 2009
dual wielding 1887's is as unbalanced as fuck but aside from that i don't see a problem with akimbo personally i don't use it but it is fun in general and i don't see how anyone could complain about it in l4d and l4d2 since in those two all it does is double your clip size

Ohten

Apr 14, 2009
In general, if I can rush up at you with two knives in my hand and do to you what the guy at the end of A Christmas Story did to the duck, I'm happy. Otherwise, I avoid going akimbo because it's a ***** to sight down two sniper scopes.

King_Julian

Jun 10, 2009
BaldursBananaSoap said:
KhaineII said:
MW2 is supposed to be a realistic representation of warfare.
I larfed.
If its supposed to be realistic then why did the developers state before release that THEY WERE NOT AIMING FOR REALISM AT ALL THEY WERE AIMING FOR ARCADE STYLE FUN!!!!

dumbass who made this thread get your facts right before you make a topic.

deathdriver23

Jul 12, 2008
I'm perfectly fine with akimbo/dual wielding in games that are action packed, have thrown realism out the window, and are trying to make the player feel as badass as possible, but in a game like MW2, which is trying to be as authentic and photo-realistic as possible(or that is how it used to be), it seems very out of place. I will admit I do use akimbo P90's from time to time, but I acknowledge that akimbo is a feature that should not have been included in MW2, instead, IW should have focused on balancing everything else. *cough* chopper gunner *cough*

MGlBlaze

Oct 28, 2009
KhaineII said:
CONS - Part 1: Broken Realism
I thought we abandoned realism after we started mowing down crowds of infinitely respawning terrorists, giving human players regenerating health without some sort of reason, and made it possible to withstand getting shot over and over because of said regenerating health.

KhaineII said:
CONS - Part Deux: It's cheap as fuck.
Only if the developers don't know what they're doing. Dual-wielding pistols in L4D works because you need all the extra firepower you can get. Balancing would be countered by increasing the recoil from firing them quickly and/or decreasing accuracy.

I'm pretty surprised they let you dual-weild shotguns though...