Poll: Going Akimbo

KhaineII

Sep 21, 2009
number2301 said:
Akimbo weapons has been around since the dawn of FPSs? Wait, what?

Maybe if you think Halo was the first FPS.
Goldeneye on the N64.

I win.

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
KhaineII said:
I don't know, most experiences I've had going up against anyone going akimbo is that they become an unstoppable force of human destruction. Especially with shotguns.
It's true. On my sniping class on MW2 I used to use dual G18s and anything in front of me became a fucking bullet cloud in seconds. I don't use them anymore though, because they're inaccurate as a one-eyed farmer with parkinsons and also because I have the best accuracy rating of all my friends and I am not losing that.

number2301

Apr 27, 2008
KhaineII said:
number2301 said:
Akimbo weapons has been around since the dawn of FPSs? Wait, what?

Maybe if you think Halo was the first FPS.
Goldeneye on the N64.

I win.
Goldeneye came out in 1997 and even then it was very limited. Previous porter was closer with Marathon in 1994 but Wolfenstein came out in '92 and there were games which could arguably be called FPSs before that.

So no, dawn of time isn't quite correct, only closer than I thought ;)

TriggerUnhappy

Mar 4, 2009
orangebandguy said:
Is there really any other way to wield Cowboy revolvers? I think not!
Clint Eastwood disagrees...
http://www.rightpundits.com/wp-content/photos/Clint_Eastwood_Ann_Coulter.jpg

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Naturalized said:
I hate akimbo in MW2 multiplayer. I stopped playing multiplayer due to the amount of idiots running around with akimbo P90's. Despite what you say, whenever they are used against me they are extremely accurate.

It ruins the game for me and I think it should be tossed or at the very least balanced.
i play hardcore and teamkill any of my friends using the akimbo shotguns.

dual pistols - fuck yes. very well balanced, un-aimable, awesome at close range. real, and doable.

smgs - i saw this when i got the game and became...concerned. most smgs, especially the ones in the game, are more like carbine rifles than true smgs. you could NOT fire an UMP or P90 without the recoil of 2 weapons knocking you on your ass, or at least backwards. The Vector at least has systems to control recoil, but would still be unwieldy and awkward...and unrealistic.

shottys - really??? we all know it. this cannot even be balanced. it simply has to be removed.

i didnt start playing MW1 because in the future the gameplay would be like halo. i stopped playing halo because i didnt like gameplay mechanics like dual-wielding, CQC snipers, vehicles, and shields.

they might as well have the THUMPER be akimbo for christ sake.

baseracer

Jul 31, 2009
CORRODED SIN said:
Naturalized said:
I hate akimbo in MW2 multiplayer. I stopped playing multiplayer due to the amount of idiots running around with akimbo P90's. Despite what you say, whenever they are used against me they are extremely accurate.

It ruins the game for me and I think it should be tossed or at the very least balanced.
i play hardcore and teamkill any of my friends using the akimbo shotguns.

dual pistols - fuck yes. very well balanced, un-aimable, awesome at close range. real, and doable.

smgs - i saw this when i got the game and became...concerned. most smgs, especially the ones in the game, are more like carbine rifles than true smgs. you could NOT fire an UMP or P90 without the recoil of 2 weapons knocking you on your ass, or at least backwards. The Vector at least has systems to control recoil, but would still be unwieldy and awkward...and unrealistic.

shottys - really??? we all know it. this cannot even be balanced. it simply has to be removed.

i didnt start playing MW1 because in the future the gameplay would be like halo. i stopped playing halo because i didnt like gameplay mechanics like dual-wielding, CQC snipers, vehicles, and shields.

they might as well have the THUMPER be akimbo for christ sake.
I would keep everything but the shotguns for akimbo. I think that dual welding Desert Eagles would probably break your wrists.

LtFerret

Jun 4, 2009
Meh i don't personally don't like dual welding, it's way too inacurate for my tastes. I only like it in L4D and FEAR because you can fire the pistols as fast as you pull the trigger which is useful is stessful situations.

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
Dual wielding is awesome. That is all.
But isn't "going akimbo" when you spread your legs for... easier access?

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
its fun as hell.

but the devs just need to pick their battles for that stuff. I mean, its tons and tons of fun in unrealistic and over-the-top shooters like Time Splitters, and then in Halo... well... we're already playing with guns that look like toys so hell with it, lets go for the gold.

But in MW2 I picked up two pistols at once and just thought... 'this feels out of place'
But then, its all a video game, so....

Atvomat_Nikonov

Jul 2, 2008
mhitman said:
I gotta say that dual wielding shotguns in MW2 is extremely cheap and really annoying to be at the wrong end of. What makes it worse is that its usually in the hands of a 10 year old
I actually find that offensive. I rock Akimbo 1887's because they are fantastic weapons, and I enjoy going up against them. It gives me a challenge, try and kill them before they get within range. Once you unlock them, you'll stop finding them annoying.

Anyway, onto the topic question. I quite enjoy akimbo weapons. With MW2 I used to make akimbo pistol classes and run around for entire matches with Akimbo USP .45's or .44 magnums. They really do add some fun to the game. The Akimbo SMG's are all retarded bar the Mini-Uzi, which is more sensible as it's rather tiny. Akimbo Pistols and Machine Pistols are fair game, with the akimbo shotguns being unrealistic but really really good.

Slaanax

Oct 28, 2009
minxamo said:
just realised how yahtzee-ish the OP is.... will people ever stop copying him?
Doubt it, also the akimbo is only OP on the 1887. Seeing how AA-12 was tuned down a bunch from real life or everyone would just use those.

Jan 29, 2009
Foggy_Fishburne said:
arc1991 said:
Foggy_Fishburne said:
KhaineII said:
Snip #2
i have a solution for the shotgun twat, a good rifle or sniper at long range =) keep doing that u get a hurl of abuse from them, hehe eee the fun times of pissing off a noob =)
Hahahaha yeah I can't wait for them to start wailing :D Cheers for the tip ;P
Seriously, who can't tell that a shotgun is a CLOSE COMBAT WEAPON and will dissipate usefulness after a short range?!? It must take a special kind of idiocy or an *excusable* lack of common knowledge.
EDIT: Sorry for the doublepost.

Phoenix Arrow

Sep 3, 2008
IdealistCommi said:
Phoenix Arrow said:
But isn't "going akimbo" when you spread your legs for... easier access?
Wonderful image in my head, no really. Thank you very much

OT: I have stated what I thought about this subject.
What? That's what it means. It's a cool word but the OP isn't using it right. :D
You can have legs akimbo which I've already outlined or arms akimbo which is hangds on hips. Try shooting anyone like that. Maybe if you were some unbelievable hip-shooter, but you'd break your wrist.