Poll: Google is forcing me to create an account with them to use my youtube account.

Nimzar

Nov 30, 2009
Saulkar said:
Nimzar said:
Also, I just created another Google account (by creating another Gmail account). I didn't have to give a phone number or any other e-mail address.
When did you do this because while it does force me to give another email address it is preventing me from going through without giving a phone number.
I created the account about 1 minute before posting. The recovery e-mail address is optional.

thethain

Jul 23, 2010
Oh no, a typo, someone call the internets! Done.

You are essentially saying that you can't be bothered to type keys because of Google's multi million dollar buyout of Youtube some several years ago, they are finally attempting to force you to merge the accounts for their database (nefarious database?) purposes. And yet you have written a small volume to complain about it.

So if you do not believe that you are so important that your data is more sensitive than every other member of Youtube. Then the only thing that Google is asking you to do is hit buttons on your keyboard for a bit.

If you actually believe that Google has turned evil and they are going to steal your information and sell it on the black market. Then say it, but the only reason I read was "This is inconvenience for me that might occupy upwards of half a dozen minutes of my time!"

And from that angle, I see no righteous indignation. I don't even see any mild annoyance, Escapist is making me fill out a captcha, right now, despite the fact I am not a robot, and if they gave me an option to verify by "hitting buttons" so that it would never harass me again. I would be on it.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
DarthFennec said:
Saulkar said:
AH WELL CRAP! On another note I just created a google account (which still has me miffed) and it did not ask for my phone number again but it kept refreshing and erasing the information I was entering. When I finally did get it out using a newly create hotmail account with fake credentials the idiot sent me 7 confirmation emails, the same number of times it refreshed. So yeah it appears that I do have bad luck.
What browser are you using? Might have something to do with that.
Firefox.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Firoth said:
I just logged in and out of my Youtube account and, like always, it asked if I wanted to link my Google account (that doesn't exist), but, there's a "skip this for now" option under it. Is it only mandatory for NEW accounts? But, the OP said he has had his account for 4 years and I've only had mine for maybe 2 years.
I asked my younger brother who had his account for 3 years to log in and it did not bother him so hell if I know why it forced me to create one. There were no skip process and clicking the youtube symbol did nothing unfortunately.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
thethain said:
Oh no, a typo, someone call the internets! Done.

You are essentially saying that you can't be bothered to type keys because of Google's multi million dollar buyout of Youtube some several years ago, they are finally attempting to force you to merge the accounts for their database (nefarious database?) purposes. And yet you have written a small volume to complain about it.

So if you do not believe that you are so important that your data is more sensitive than every other member of Youtube. Then the only thing that Google is asking you to do is hit buttons on your keyboard for a bit.

If you actually believe that Google has turned evil and they are going to steal your information and sell it on the black market. Then say it, but the only reason I read was "This is inconvenience for me that might occupy upwards of half a dozen minutes of my time!"

And from that angle, I see no righteous indignation. I don't even see any mild annoyance, Escapist is making me fill out a captcha, right now, despite the fact I am not a robot, and if they gave me an option to verify by "hitting buttons" so that it would never harass me again. I would be on it.
I have a valid reason to fear for the safety of my credentials, a hotmail account of mine I create solely for steam and xboxlive which I had no intention of ever using again was hijacked and both accounts stolen for several hours. Software is software, google may not be as vulnerable but it is still hackable. I do not fear google will personally do anything since it finally stopped asking for my phone number, I am just irritated by, ah hell I have nothing to gain by arguing with you.

DarthFennec

May 27, 2010
Saulkar said:
Ah, never mind then. Not that I'm an expert on any of this stuff, but I thought if you were to say IE then maybe that could have been part of the problem. I've seen a lot of weird shit happen on the web because people were using Incompatible Explorer. Generally Firefox plays well with Google though, to the best of my knowledge.

In other words, yeah, you're just having really bad luck :/ That's pretty ridiculous that it does that to you ...

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Nimzar said:
Saulkar said:
Nimzar said:
Also, I just created another Google account (by creating another Gmail account). I didn't have to give a phone number or any other e-mail address.
When did you do this because while it does force me to give another email address it is preventing me from going through without giving a phone number.
I created the account about 1 minute before posting. The recovery e-mail address is optional.
I did manage to get through without entering my phone number finally but it still would not let me through until I entered a valid email address, go figure. Additionally it refreshed 7 times erasing everything I typed but I managed to get it through though lol and behold it sent me 7 confirmation emails. Errrrrrrrrrr. Also I meant to say it did not force me to give my email address. (at first)

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
Well, I actually like my two accounts linked, but I guess that's just me.

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
Sorry if I'm missing something but what's this all about? I can access my Youtube account just fine and I don't have any account associated with Google. It's asked me about it before but I've always had the option to skip.

Is it literally just going through at this moment as a mandatory requirement?

Kae

That which exists in the absence of space.
Legacy
Nov 27, 2009
Country
The Dreamlands
It´s not right, but I linked my youtube account to a google account that said that my name was Pirate Badass, and also that I live in Singapore, don´t remember how it was a long time ago.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
teqrevisited said:
Sorry if I'm missing something but what's this all about? I can access my Youtube account just fine and I don't have any account associated with Google. It's asked me about it before but I've always had the option to skip.

Is it literally just going through at this moment as a mandatory requirement?
I think so but it appears to be cherry picking as my brother signed in without being pestered so what the eff?

Roxor

Nov 4, 2010
Why not just automatically expand the youtube accounts into full-blown all-Google-services ones?

MasterChief892039

Jun 28, 2010
You don't have to have a Google account to get into Youtube. Once you sign it it takes you to the page that asks you to make a Google account, but you can easily just bypass it by going back to the youtube homepage (you can even just click the Youtube logo in the upper left-hand corner). That's not to say the extra page isn't obnoxious.

Are the dudes at Google being annoying jerks? Kinda yea.
Do they have a right to be annoying jerks? They sure do.

UltraParanoia

Oct 11, 2009
The only reason it annoys me is because I can't remember why I made a youtube account or what I have on it(I know there aren't uploads)

Course I have a google account, so I'm just being lazy.

E: Nope, not lazy, I forgot the little button to link the accounts doesn't work on my PS3, just like the search button outside of XL(Which is crap). So I can't link them until my computer is fixed.

TehCookie

Elite Member
Sep 16, 2008
I hated it since my google account I try to keep private since it has personal information and my youtube account is public with no information about me so I can do whatever. I had to create a fake google account for my youtube because there was no way I would connect my serious account. I'm already creeped out enough that my smart phone is linked against my will to my google account. Connected calendar, awesome. Putting all my contacts on the internet, not so awesome. Actually that's more of a WTF is google thinking?

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
MasochisticMuse said:
You don't have to have a Google account to get into Youtube. Once you sign it it takes you to the page that asks you to make a Google account, but you can easily just bypass it by going back to the youtube homepage (you can even just click the Youtube logo in the upper left-hand corner). That's not to say the extra page isn't obnoxious.

Are the dudes at Google being annoying jerks? Kinda yea.
Do they have a right to be annoying jerks? They sure do.
Actually they found a way around that, someone already posted this on Yahoo answers UK and it simply did not work. The youtube icon, refreshing, redirecting, etc. I acknowledge they have the rights to be jerks but why be a jerk when it will only sour a persons opinion of you. Thanks anyway.

ServebotFrank

Jul 1, 2010
Youtube has quickly changed from a fun site to a website focused only on profits and pissing off it's users. Everyone on that site is a money grubbing elitist prick and Youtube is about as cooperative as the Natzis were with Jews. I could go on about this site and why it's slowly starting to suck. You know what? It's partly because of that Youtube Partnership option. If you don't know the Youtube Partnership is where Youtube places Ads on your videos, they get revenue for it and you get a cut of it depending on the views. It's become a trend where every user whores themselves out with annotations and spam so they can be popular to the point that 90% of the content on Youtube sucks and appeals only to Adolescent minds.

This guy ironically on youtube explains the problems best.
Archfiend: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnoOKYlW3s4&feature=feedu

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Wow you're complaining that a company is giving you FREE ACCESS to millions of videos is making you get a FREE account with them. Google owns youtube, they can do what they want with their service. If you don't want to deal with it then cancel your account and find another service.

I always get a laugh when people flip out about these things because seriously it's amazing what the internet does and how things have evolved in the short amount of time, but one things happens that delays them from their free content and call in the army. Sign up for a free account, problem solved and CRISIS AVERTED.

Saulkar

Legacy
Aug 25, 2010
Country
Canuckistan
Snotnarok said:
Wow you're complaining that a company is giving you FREE ACCESS to millions of videos is making you get a FREE account with them. Google owns youtube, they can do what they want with their service. If you don't want to deal with it then cancel your account and find another service.

I always get a laugh when people flip out about these things because seriously it's amazing what the internet does and how things have evolved in the short amount of time, but one things happens that delays them from their free content and call in the army. Sign up for a free account, problem solved and CRISIS AVERTED.
Oh hush you. Many of these things have already been resolved or discussed in this forum topic. Only infinitely more politely.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
Saulkar said:
Snotnarok said:

Oh hush you. Many of these things have already been resolved or discussed in this forum topic. Only infinitely more politely.
I am being polite, I'm just being direct and straight forward. :)

It's a silly thing complain about a free service asking to do something else for free to use their service. This probably revolves around the more people gmail has, the more people they can brag they have to advertisers and get more money, thus keeping content free. Which means why not go "hey why not I like the service and I like it being so gosh darn free and good!"