Poll: Has a game made you cry?

boradam

Jan 14, 2010
I looked back and thought about how I said I cried during The Walking Dead after replaying Episode I on my Xbox, and just said that as an exaggeration to express how emotionally depressing it was, but after some thought I started wondering if when people said a game made them cry that they were genuinely serious and I'm now somewhat curious to see how many of you on the escapist are stone-hearted gamers or walking water towers ready to burst out in actual, delicious, tears.

So, has a game made you cry? And if so, why?

EstrogenicMuscle

Sep 7, 2012
Lots of games. I cry a lot at Tales of the Abyss.

I cry over A...a... him. I cry over I...I... him as well.
I cry every time I hear this song to be honest.

I cry all the time and over a lot of games. But to honest, hardly anything is as emotionally evocative for me as this song.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
Your poll options...they confuse me and that makes me cry :'(

Anyway, no, I have never cried tears while playing a video game. I have gotten misty eyed before (see Walking Dead or Mass Effect 3) and have become absolutely speechless and heartbroken while playing a game (see Spec-Ops) but have never had the actual water works kick in.

However, I'm not a crier in real life either so I'm not sure how much I can hold that against the video game medium.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
Now I'm not a crier to begin with and I've gotten speechless over some game endings.

But I'm not gonna lie, The Walking Dead made me cry a few tears.

That ending. ;_;

Euryalus

Jun 30, 2012
Nope, never. I'm unempathetic as fuck. The walking dead had very sad parts in it, but no where near crying level for me

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
A few times, although I'm including "tearing up" with crying here...

1. Twice during To The Moon. People who have played it will likely be able to guess when.
2. Twice during The Walking Dead. People who have played it will likely be able to guess when.
3. Once during Baldur's Gate 2 (During Keldorn's coda).
4. Once during Mass Effect 3 (The fleet arrives at Earth).
5. Once during Bastion (ending).

It's quite possible I have at other points too, although I can't remember them offhand.

Requia

Apr 4, 2013
Mass Effect 3, when I had to deliver the poem a dead Krogan write for his Asari girlfriend.

PPB

May 25, 2009
I don't remember ever crying, but 2 recent games have played with my feelings.

1. Mass Effect 3's character flashbacks with the piano track. The fact that I've "known" some of these characters since 2008 gives it a particularly strong nostalgic vibe.
2. SWTOR on Taris, the "promised land" questline. Having played KotOR many times, I always wondered what the outcasts' fate would be. Then in SWTOR you basically follow their tracks and learn what happened. On the last holorecording the game starts to play this really sad music (from the end of RotS I think?) and it seals the deal.

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
Only time I've ever cried at a game (at least as far as I can remember) is during that scene during Okami's final boss fight (you know the one I'm talking about if you've ever seen/done it)

ScrabbitRabbit

Elite Member
Mar 27, 2012
I'm not much of a crier in general, but a few games have gotten me misty eyes. Opening the golden orb at the end of Planescape: Torment, some of the "Thousand Years of Dreams" from Lost Odyssey (Hannah's Dearture and Don't Forget Me, Ya Hear? especially) and a few scenes from To The Moon all come to mind.

Maximum Bert

Feb 3, 2013
No although Valkyria Chronicles came close a few times but that was more misty eyed really cant think of any other game that has come close but I dont think this is a fault of games I can only remember one book that has made me cry and I havent cryed or got anywhere near crying at a film since I was 8 years old.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
I'm going to be boring and mention I cried during the last part in The Walking Dead.

And to continue my boringness, I also cried during the Dead Island reveal trailer, when there was the shot of the dad reaching out for his daughter.

Anathrax

Jan 14, 2013
The one game that almost made me tear up was Snailiad, a metroid style flash game where you play as a snail. Why?

:(

CZ_Rage

May 10, 2013
The cat lady. You must have a heart of stone combined with the empathy of an SS henchman to not brake down in this game.

DoPo

"You're not cleared for that."
Jan 30, 2012
Unreal 2: the Awakening

Your crew which were always there for you DIED. Or at least I hope they lived even though I saw my own ship exploding. Later, you find out that the bad guy took you in and he reveals they really are dead. You manage to blow up his station and escape...and there, all alone in the escape pod in the middle of just vast, empty space, you find the last record

They sacrificed himself. For me...

Legacy of Kain: Defiance

Let's set up the scene - the main character, Raziel, begins the first game he is in by BEING THROWN IN (effectively) A VAT OF ACID TO SUFFER FOR AN ETERNITY. Things get better...slightly, and he is only in constant pain for...somewhere in the region of few millennia but then comes back as a wraith. And then he finds out that the life he had before the previous one (he was a vampire, so his human life) was that of a noble vampire hunter. His turning but a mockery of his previous self. And then he finds out his entire lineage is destroyed. And then he manages to meet his human self (time travel) only to find out he was actually a fanatic bastard who brutally murders the only person in wraith Raziel's existence who showed any care or kindness. So wraith Raziel kills human Raziel as a final twisted mockery oh his own existence. And in the process, finding out he is now doomed to be consumed in a sword (the Soul Reaver from the title of the games) and become its...for a lack of a better term, "power source". For an eternity.

Let's say Raziel Did Not Have A Good Week. And that's the state he's in at the start of Defiance. He desperately seeks to evade his fate, only to find it sealed with lies and deceit at every turn. Finding

This cutscene...this cutscene has so much impact. The entire series have been leading up to it. Moebious killed. Moebious seeing the "face" of his master was something Raziel mentioned in Soul Reaver 2. Then he gave Moebious' soul to the abomination he suddenly realized he worshipped. After that, Raziel sacrificing himself, willingly imprisoning himself to give Kain a chance of saving the world. It's simply beautiful on so many levels. If the game had ended there and then, it would have been well, but it had to really nail it with Kain't final words.

Bitter illusion indeed.

Portal 2

Seeing the final moments of the game is always moving. Not from sadness, necessarily, but from...how good it was, I suppose.

aguspal

Aug 19, 2012
Nope, never.

I felt like some games have sad parts maybe and go all "damn, this is sad"... Feel a little sad for a couple of seconds and thats about it. Nothing made me cry, not even walking dead or something.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
ScrabbitRabbit said:
Opening the golden orb at the end of Planescape: Torment
That's possibly one of the few moments in gaming that even got me close to crying. I didn't, but I was pretty close.

I'm just not much of a crying person really. I think the only time I've cried at a piece of entertainment was the ending of Schismatrix (a sci-fi book).

NightmareExpress

Dec 31, 2012
None have done so, yet. I recognize sad parts but don't get adversely affected by them.
I think I teared up after beating A Link to The Past and Super Mario Brothers 3 again a few years ago.
But it wasn't the games being sad, it was simply the nostalgia and memories of an era gone by.
Recalling myself as a young lad, seeing those victory screens in the dark so many years ago...
Magical.