Poll: Has a game made you cry?

Meestor Pickle

Jul 29, 2010
A part in the Walking Dead (not ending) made me get that taste in the back of your throat and I just turned the PC off and went to bed after it but I didn't cry but so very close :'(

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I play emotional visual novels. There's a word for the ones that are intended to make you cry: "utsuge." I have found myself inexorably drawn to and very easily affected by these, to the point where I consider it cheating to mention them.

Other games have made me cry, though, mostly RPGs, but I did find myself becoming emotional a few times during at least one beat-'em-up (Sengoku Basara 3, Ieyasu's red path ending and Oichi...just, Oichi). But really...

Final Fantasy 6. Immediately after the Ghost Train fight.

I've tried describing that scene to people before, and I can only barely do it before I choke up too much to talk.

EstrogenicMuscle said:
I cry all the time and over a lot of games. But to honest, hardly anything is as emotionally evocative for me as this song.
I admit, I'm probably not far enough into the game to understand that (I'm only a little bit after Luke's haircut, at the moment), but I'm suddenly looking forward to the rest even more.

Of course, Abyss has managed to draw tears out of me at least once so far.

I had to watching that little boy sink to his death in the miasma while trapped under his father's corpse, and I almost couldn't go on.

ScrabbitRabbit said:
Hannah's Departure
Oh my god, why did you remind me of that?! ;_;

chakra7777

Aug 28, 2009
Yes, well not to the point of sobbing, but i can remember a lot of times getting teary-eyed over a character i felt invested in or an ending. To name as many as i can:

Ogre Battle 64
Final Fantasy X (the theme song gets me everytime)
Kingdom Hearts
Tales of Symphonia (havn't finished Abyss yet)
Shadow of the Colossus
Various Metal Gears

Yeah, i'm an emotional guy. Enjoying the highs n lows!

Mrkillhappy

Sep 18, 2012
It has only happened once during the end of MGS3 because that ending is depressing as shit and even then it was one single manly tear just like big boss.

Ryotknife

Oct 15, 2011
I haven't gone full wetworks crying, but there are a few games where I had to strongly fight back the tears and failing:

Halflife 2 ep 2
Valkyrie chronicles
Xenosaga 3
Walking Dead

Xenosaga 3 is probably the most constantly despressing game of the bunch (the last 25% of the game is one big ole sadness train), but Halflife 2 hit me the hardest

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
I think this poll just needs a "Walking Dead" option.

Yes, I shed a few tears at the end of that one, I'm not too proud to admit. The original "Bioshock" had moments that came close.

TheSteeleStrap

May 7, 2008
I've never openly wept over a game, but The Walking Dead has brought me the closest I've ever been. I choked up multiple times, and I had a few tears at dat ending.

Wafflemarine

Dec 12, 2011
Dragon Age Origins and the Grey Wardens. They fight without any thought of gain for themselves and risk death just to join the group.

Xan Krieger

Completely insane
Feb 11, 2009
Every Metal Gear Solid game leaves me in tears at some point.

there's this woman who loves the ocean but her parents died at sea. One day she's down at the ocean and a wave drags her out to sea and she drowns, she had wished to be with her parents and that's how her wish came true.
when Yuna does the sending for the people of Kilika.
when your sister sacrifices herself to destroy MIDAS
when I killed my sister to keep the sword, reminded me of my own dead sister and I felt like I had just killed her.

nimbylive

Apr 15, 2009
I have never actually cried while playing a game but the worst, most upsetting moment in my gaming life came toward the end of (*spoilers to an old game*) Shadow of Colossus when I almost did not make it over a huge bridge and my horse, who was my only friend threw the whole thing struggled and did not make that jump. That one actually hurt me.

(*Another spoiler to the same game*) He does end up living, but you only find him later after taking on a Colossi so by that point he is presumed dead.

That game has an excellent feel of isolation and huge scope. Losing your one friend in all of that is heavy, at least it was to me.

AlbertoDeSanta

Sep 19, 2012
The Walking Dead almost made me cry, but I knew it was happening; inevitable once you saw Episode 4. I even said (Spoilers here): "I bet it will just be Clem and Lee in a room and she'll have to shoot him". It fucking was.

Regardless, the one game that has done it was this: Okami. Towards the end, there is the most heartwarming moment ever seen, where it shows the many people you have met praying for you. It's awesome and it made me cry.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I get very emotionally invested in the things I watch/play, so absolutely I've shed a tear or two.

Kingdom Hearts (all of the games), The Walking Dead, Final Fantasy X and Silent Hill 2 get me every time.

SirPlindington

Jun 28, 2012
Sooooooooooooo many times. I'm a manly men, and truly manly men aren't afraid to let their true emotions show. That's just how I roll. Like, Bastion? Lots of tears there, and don't even get me started on Thomas Was Alone. An entire box of tissues, straight down the drain. SIgh.

ThatLankyBastard

Aug 18, 2010
I teared up in every Katawa Shoujo route but...
Rin's Route...
*shudders*
...Jesus, I never expected to cry THAT much...

Other then Katawa Shoujo: No, I have not cried during a game.
Not in Walking Dead, not any Final Fantasy... Not even a tear when my favourite Squadmate in XCOM gets killed in a complete bullshit way.
[sub]But that fucking Visual Novel[/sub]
[sub][sub][sub]"GODDAMNIT RIN, CAN'T YOU SEE YOUR ART IS TEARING US APART????"
*Lay down*
*try not to cry*
*Cry a lot...*[/sub][/sub][/sub]

darthzew

Jun 19, 2008
Mass Effect 3 gave me quite a few. Most notably, though, was when I decided to play 100% renegade and was forced to shoot a certain someone. I didn't know it was coming and he was my favorite.

The Walking Dead had me going more times than I care to count.

Issurru

Jun 13, 2010
I was going to say none at all, that i'm too broken to do any of that touchy-feely stuff. Then as people have pointed out, Persona 4. Holy balls did I have to grit my teeth and sit there going "WHAT IN THE FUCK!?!" And sat there for like ten minutes not knowing what option to choose for Namatame