Poll: has there ever been a good video game movie?

diablo523

Jul 20, 2009
I don't know if I'm alone here, but I thought Max Payne was shitty. That was frustrating for me just because they tried to set the mood and tone equal to the games(not including 3), but it fell flat on its face.

But in terms of cool video game movies, check this out. Student-made, and very very good.
http://bobshouseofvideogames.com/2010/05/06/video-game-lol-the-street-fighter-movie-we-deserve/

King Kupofried

Jan 19, 2010
The Super Mario Bros movie is wonderful. :D I don't care what anyone says, it'll always have a very special place in my heart.

RAMBO22

Jul 7, 2009
Two movies in the poll are good movies in my opinion:
1) Doom
-Good action, a half-way decent plot and thesis
2) Silent Hill
-Good for the same reasons as the aforementioned Doom film

Flying-Emu

Oct 30, 2008
I just sat down and watched Mortal Kombat today, believe it or not.

I'd have to say it was about what I expected. Not bad, not great.

RAMBO22

Jul 7, 2009
RAMBO22 said:
Two movies in the poll are good movies in my opinion:
1) Doom
-Good action, a half-way decent plot and thesis
2) Silent Hill
-Good for the same reasons as the aforementioned Doom film
In addition, I also forgot how surprisingly good the Max Payne film adaptation was. The scene where he ingests Valkyrie and then seemingly breathes fire is hilarious.

MissGinaKid

Mar 16, 2010
kyosai7 said:
xqxm said:
MissGinaKid said:
My friend let me tell you about Japan. It is a magical place where they pay more respect to the games they make films or short features of. This is my example. Animal crossing the movie. On it's own it's an okay flick but as a fan i got extaic when they seemed to protray the game in the right way. Sadly there is no english dub as of now since other parts of the world do not know of this god send of a video game movie. But someday the world will know.
Sadly, all Japanese games are shit, but thanks for trying.
Man, you must have everything from Resident Evil to Final Fantasy then, huh?

OT: Animal Crossing got a movie?! Man, can't imagine how THAT worked out.... Might have to look into it sometime...
Just don't expect a great plot or anything. It's rather bland on it's own. But being a fan of the game and noticing the detail they put into making it feal like animal crossing sould. Mindless but innocent fun.

Enigma6667

Apr 3, 2010
You forgot to add Alone in the Dark. On second thought, instead of putting in Alone in the Dark, and Postal, just put in "Anything made by Uwe Boll".

To me, the only decent game-based film is Silent Hill. But the best game-based "anything" to me is Bright Falls. It doesn't count on this list because its a websiode series, not a movie, and its a prequel rather than a straight up adaptation.

Prince of Persia may end up being good.

Hed_Kansa

Feb 12, 2009
I can't believe Double Dragon hasn't popped up.

You know a films gonna be wazz with the tagline:
"There's twice the street fighters in this mortal combat"

I shit ye not.

shemoanscazrex3

Mar 24, 2010
The last RE was decent and the Final Fantasy VII movie was pretty good. Other than that nope none come to mind. Silent Hill was cool I just wished they did more of what gives SH its horror sensibility. MK, well I was a kid. Throw in some get over here's and Sub Zero freezing fuckers and I'd think its awesome.

Baralak

Dec 9, 2009
shemoanscazrex3 said:
The last RE was decent and the Final Fantasy VII movie was pretty good. Other than that nope none come to mind. Silent Hill was cool I just wished they did more of what gives SH its horror sensibility. MK, well I was a kid. Throw in some get over here's and Sub Zero freezing fuckers and I'd think its awesome.

I was a big fan of the final fight, and I loved the ending that lead into the sequel. Although, depending on my mood, the sequel ranges between "utter crap" and "so bad it's good."

Call Me Arizona

Apr 27, 2010
Silent Hill and Doom were alright.
I ADORE the Super Mario Bros. movie.
I liked Final Fantasy: Spirits Within actually, it wasn't really Final Fantasy, but still.

Sep 14, 2009
chozo_hybrid said:
To be honest, your poll lacks options. A yes or no would have been better.

I know I may get some flak for this, but I liked Hitman, it was a decent film. Same as Silent Hill for me, it may have been a bit different but it was a great attempt.
i thought it was pretty good. they picked the perfect actor for the job i think and the storyline wasn't that bad really, overall it was a decent suprise i think.

the worst i think : super mario bros.

possible best: prince of persia (obviously not out yet, thats why saying possible)

and best so far (imo) : resident evil 2 (i didn't play the second game so i dont know if they follow the same storyline exactly or not)

Sep 14, 2009
kyosai7 said:
shemoanscazrex3 said:

I was a big fan of the final fight, and I loved the ending that lead into the sequel. Although, depending on my mood, the sequel ranges between "utter crap" and "so bad it's good."
think if they redid mortal kombat with todays standards in acting and computer graphics..

*shudder*

i might have a nerdgasm in the movie theater

Rayansaki

May 5, 2009
Silent Hill and FF: Advent Children are awesome, everything else is shit, FF: The Spirits Within is a great movie... I just wouldn't consider it a video game movie or a final fantasy movie.

Jace1709

Apr 9, 2010
Mortal Kombat i thought was great, very likely the best Video Game Movie IMO (although its not a tough genre to win), then i got all hyped up for Mortal Kombat: Annihilation, which turned out to be one of the WORST films ive ever seen.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
I actually think Doom is quite good. On the "So Bad Its Good" scale, of course.
Irridium said:
Is this movies about specific games, or movies about games in general. Because if its the latter, I have only 3 words for you.

Mother

[HEADING=2]Fucking[/HEADING]

[HEADING=1]TRON[/HEADING]

If its the former... than I have no idea.
I really should wind up to seeing that movie some day.

OutcastBOS

Elite Member
Sep 20, 2009
I loved the mortal kombat movies except for the times where I did a big WTF?! ( Jax is only spelled with one x, Kano does not die ect.) I also liked Street Fighter (except for Dhalsim being a scientist and Charlie being merged with Blanka, don't get me tarted on the news crew) I absolutely HATE, HATE, the second Street Fighter movie. What did they do to you Charlie? Why do you not get the respect you diserve? Why is Gen not old? Why does Bison look nothing like what he should? Where are about 90% of the cool charaters? HOW DID CHUN-LI BECOME SO POPULAR?!/rant I think the first MK movie was the best Video Game movie of all time. and with that I leave you with a great quote from my favorite character Zangeif feom Street Fighter: