Poll: Have you, personally, ever been discriminated against?

AdeptaSororitas

Jul 11, 2011
Hello my dear Escapees, your friendly Sister of Battle here.

So I've noticed that a lot of people in the world, and particularly on this site have a whole host of unique opinions and lifestyles, so through a long winding train of thought I began wondering if anyone of them had ever been discriminated against due to their beliefs, gender, lifestyle or even race. And I don't mean some guy saying "I hate all XXXXXXX" on the news, I mean someone personally judged and was biased against you, simply because of one factor of your life.

I personally have been shunned from a group of friends, not because of my gender(female), or my lifestyle(bisexual) or even my political party(not telling), but because of my god damn religion, and the fact that I have one. They hurled insults at me and generally began to avoid me or treat me like an idiot and THIS even happened a few times:
Person: Uhg, I'm having so much trouble with my (Psychology/Geology/Physics) homework.
Me: Oh, do you need some help?
Person: No, I don't want to offend your beliefs, you don't believe in this kind of stuff.

That didn't make me mad, that just hurt. This was a person I'd been friends with for months, he knew I had high grades in those class A's and B's.

Captcha: Good day. Why thank you Mr. Captcha ^^

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Yup. Watching lots of anime and playing lots of video games is an easy way of becoming a social outcast in suburban New York.

And I guess you could say height, too. I get mocked for being shorter than most of my friends pretty often.

notyouraveragejoe

Dehakchakala!
Nov 8, 2008
I have been based on my sexuality. As a bisexual in France I thought I was fine until I met someone at my school who told me that I was "going to burn in hell" and that he "hated me" despite having never met me. Following this he said that I "sickened" him. I felt terrible afterwards. Like...it legitimately got to me for a little while.

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
Cops asked me for a license when he pulled me over with the sirens, which would have been fine but I wasn't riding on a car. I was riding my bike, and going home to my house which he pulled me over next to it. When I went in my house he sat in front of my house in his car waiting for something to happen. I know it was raciest because how many white people would he pull over in the same neighbor hood when their on a bike and asking for a license and asking why don't you have one.

GigaHz

Jul 5, 2011
Im a white male, possibly the most discriminated demographic there is. By default I am racist, evil, a potential rapist, can't dance, prejudiced, uneducated, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, and patriotic.

My attitude is to let those who discriminate you believe whatever the hell they want. In my experience, any attempt to educate those who believe I am not one of those things has been met with increased hostility. I say if someone calls me a Racist, Evil, Rhythmless Rapist, I will pat them lightly on the head and congratulate them for being so smart.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Several times. There were dozens and dozens of scholarships that I couldn't apply for because I'm a white male.
GigaHz said:
Im a white male, possibly the most discriminated demographic there is. By default I am racist, evil, a potential rapist, can't dance, prejudiced, uneducated, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, and patriotic.

My attitude is to let those who discriminate you believe whatever the hell they want. In my experience, any attempt to educate those who believe I am not one of those things has been met with increased hostility. I say if someone calls me a Racist, Evil, Rhythmless Rapist, I will pat them lightly on the head and congratulate them for being so smart.
Pretty much this. Have you ever actually done the whole head-patting thing? I did it once and I thought the guy was about to stroke out he was so pissed.

Trololo Punk

May 14, 2011
Yea, video games, being made fun of cause of my red hair if you count that, music i listen too. Also, surprisingly, I get shit at school all the time about not being religious and having atheist/naturalist views.

CM156_v1legacy

Revelation 9:6
Mar 23, 2011
Generic Gamer said:
I'm a conservative so I'm regularly ripped on whilst on campus but I've never had the 'victim mentality' to actually be trodden down.
I agree. I don't let what people say about me bother me. Because that's letting them win.

OT: Some people mock me for my somewhat Conservative Libertarian beliefs. But other than that, no. Not really.

TheIronRuler

Mar 18, 2011
I've been discriminated against because I didn't have any money, I am not an Adult, I am not cool and I am not attractive. You see???
I've been discriminated since I've been born, being treated like I was a baby!

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
As a BBC, I've been discriminated by Chinese people for being too English (I have the, what Oriental people call, 'Western eyes') and by the English for not being English enough (even though I speak it better than a lot of 'English' idiots I see about me...).

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Arehexes said:
Cops asked me for a license when he pulled me over with the sirens, which would have been fine but I wasn't riding on a car. I was riding my bike, and going home to my house which he pulled me over next to it. When I went in my house he sat in front of my house in his car waiting for something to happen. I know it was raciest because how many white people would he pull over in the same neighbor hood when their on a bike and asking for a license and asking why don't you have one.
Do you need a licence to ride a bike where you live? I would have told him to fuck off because here they need probable cause to do anything, so I would have just told him that he didn't have probable cause and went into my house. If he tried to stop me, I would have threatened a lawsuit.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Oh yeah. My teachers used to keep me away from the rest of the class because I was "a violent risk".

I was actually just a goth kid at the time who had the tendency to fight back and win. But of course, because I was the lone goth, its simply easier for them to isolate me rather than five other kids.

I don't blame them for doing it, but it was bullshit.

Guess that makes it a lifestyle thing. Not that I care. Idiots will be idiots and will always find some poor sap to try and single out. I'm just glad it was me and not some kid who would have gotten his face rearranged.

Grayjack

Jan 22, 2009
Yes. In 6th grade I was called a terrorist bomber from Iraq. I'm Guatemalan, by the way.

Arehexes

Jun 27, 2008
spartan231490 said:
Arehexes said:
Do you need a licence to ride a bike where you live? I would have told him to fuck off because here they need probable cause to do anything, so I would have just told him that he didn't have probable cause and went into my house. If he tried to stop me, I would have threatened a lawsuit.
Don't need a license to ride a bike where I live, his only reason is a black guy in a leather coat and shades riding in a white neighborhood if i had to haze a guess. Still pissed me off to no end.

zedel

Sep 16, 2010
I was bullied throughout middle school for being "too feminine" and not being interested in girls(to be fair, I had no sexual interest in anything). I'm genderqueer and asexual, so while the second could count as "sexual preference", the first isn't quite the same as "sexually".

Andalusa

Mad Cat Lady
Feb 25, 2008
Yep, all because of the colour of my hair and my tastes in music and the fact I play video games. But it's who I am, and if people at my school couldn't accept a ginger girl who enjoys metal music and playing videos games, well, they can go fuck themselves. I learned to live with it and ignore the comments they made. And now that I've left school, hopefully I've left all of that behind as well.

thejackyl

Apr 16, 2008
I've always been treated like a retard by customers at my first two jobs since, you know, they let retards run cash registers and regularly handle money. (Food Service... work it for a year)

My dad came out of the closet when I was 9, and "Like father like son, lolololol", I routinely got beat up for being gay, despite the fact that I am straight and find the idea of gay sex disgusting (the "something I will never do" kind of disgusting)

Oh, and I was constantly brought into the guidance office for making violent threats towards people (mainly the ones that picked on me for the above), and I was routinely told "This isn't worth shooting the school up over"

Some asshole was throwing broken pencil pieces at me while the teacher was out of the classroom. When does the teacher come back in? After I flip the desk over and am shouting "STOP OR I WILL FUCKING KILL YOU!"

EDIT: I've had a bible thrown at me for telling a catholic guy selling bibles that I was Agnostic.