Poll: Help finalize the list of contenders for the Second Annual Reader's Choice Game of the Year

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
I'm confused...how are games definitely on the list for 2014 game of the year that havent been released yet? That seems odd at best.

Either way though, Wolf Among Us got my vote. Was torn between it, South Park, and Walking Dead season 2, and RoS, but in the end I think I enjoyed Bigby's journey in that more than the others.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
shintakie10 said:
I'm confused...how are games definitely on the list for 2014 game of the year that havent been released yet? That seems odd at best.

Either way though, Wolf Among Us got my vote. Was torn between it, South Park, and Walking Dead season 2, and RoS, but in the end I think I enjoyed Bigby's journey in that more than the others.
I'm going to guess it's because the point of this is to draw viewers to the site. So with that goal in mind it makes sense to have your list be the most well known games. And the most well known games are the ones with the most hype. So they don't actually have to be good or even released, they only have to be games people know of.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Wait, I can't vote twice, what's going on here? *sighs* my 2nd vote is transistor. One hell of a good game that one is.

My 1st vote? Shovel knight. I haven't played it, but the game is something special. It really shows what you can do when you make something you like to begin with.

EDIT: And why is persona Q on here?! When are we going to hold these reader's choice polls? Hell, persona Q doesn't come out until the tail end of november. 25th for americans and 28th for europeans. So, why is it on here?

Also, how do you make footnotes?

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Forza Horizon 2 and GTA V are the only games I've bought this year (despite the latter not being released yet, but it can't be worse that the last gen version which was excellent) and despite neither of them being choices, they're the only games that I'm qualified to vote for.

It's a shame that Forza Horizon 2 doesn't exist for The Escapist, because it really is an excellent game, released to near universal critical acclaim and is one of the highest scoring games on Metacritic this year (and in the Xbox One's short history).

Slycne

Tank Ninja
Feb 19, 2006
shintakie10 said:
Eric the Orange said:
RagingTiger said:
Keep in mind that actual voting isn't going to finish until December though. It was going to be a little odd either way we ran it by including currently unreleased titles or by excluding them for happening to fall into a specific time period.

And while we certainly haven't played them to completion, plenty of these unreleased titles we've put enough time into to at least come to some baseline speculations on what games folks will want to vote over.

Knight Captain Kerr

May 27, 2011
Dragonfall is the only one I've played yet and that was the DLC version not the stand alone Enhanced Edition. But it was really damn good so, Dragonfall.

Skeleon

Nov 2, 2007
hickwarrior said:
Kind of how you might expect with how the other forum commands work: [*footnote][*/footnote] without the *s. Just write it after what you mean to provide with a footnote and put the actual text of the footnote in between the two blocks. If you want to see it in action, just try quoting me and check how I did it.[footnote]Right here, for example. Hope that helps.[/footnote]

SilverUchiha

Dec 25, 2008
So I see some things on the list are things that aren't out yet. This leads me to my follow up question... why is SSB-3DS on your list, but SSB-WiiU not up for even consideration? It seems like a safe bet the WiiU version will be the superior of the two with more features, better visuals, better controls, more settings options, and well... yeah, you get my point. If it this list were for just the games already out, fine, but then I see Far Cry 4 on the list and I know that isn't out yet, which seems weird for it to be on a list of "best games 2014" when few of us have managed to try or play it.

hickwarrior

a samurai... devil summoner?
Nov 7, 2007
Skeleon said:
hickwarrior said:
Kind of how you might expect with how the other forum commands work: [*footnote][*/footnote] without the *s. Just write it after what you mean to provide with a footnote and put the actual text of the footnote in between the two blocks. If you want to see it in action, just try quoting me and check how I did it.[footnote]Right here, for example. Hope that helps.[/footnote]
so like this[footnote]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Persona_Q:_Shadow_of_the_Labyrinth[/footnote]. And it does. Thanks for the help... I wonder if there's a help post that lists all of what you can do.[footnote]Because I'm too lazy and busy with SMTIV to look it up right now.[/footnote]

adamacuo

Nov 5, 2014
Dark Souls 2 is one of the highest rated and most played games of the year. It has a higher Metacritic rating than any other game released this year (a 91 across all three platforms) and even your little site gave it a 4.5 / 5.0. Why oh why oh why would this not be included in the list? Am I missing something?

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
adamacuo said:
Dark Souls 2 is one of the highest rated and most played games of the year. It has a higher Metacritic rating than any other game released this year (a 91 across all three platforms) and even your little site gave it a 4.5 / 5.0. Why oh why oh why would this not be included in the list? Am I missing something?
Yes, you missed the list in the OP of the fourteen already confirmed games, which includes Dark Souls II. This is just the vote for the final two games to make up a round sixteen :)

LarsInCharge

Sep 9, 2014
Well, the three games I have played the most that all came out this year are not on either list. Fooey.

Final Fantasy X/X-2, Lightning Returns, and Samurai Warriors 4.

Re-release, Re-Release, and the only good installment of the FFXIII series buried by its connection to the first two and their smell.

Ten Foot Bunny

I'm more of a dishwasher girl
Mar 19, 2014
Had a tough time deciding between Stick of Truth and Borderlands, but I had to pick the one I loved so much that I played every class to completion.

So Stick of Truth won. ;)

(No, I'm not really a fan of gritty, realistic games. Saints Row 4 4-eva!!)

-Dragmire-

King over my mind
Mar 29, 2011
hickwarrior said:
I wonder if there's a help post that lists all of what you can do.
Hold on....

Ah, here you go.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/18.198114-Escapist-User-Guide-to-Posting-Commands

OT: 1 more for Stick of Truth.

busterkeatonrules

- in Glorious Black & White!
Legacy
Jun 22, 2009
Country
Norway
I applaud the addition of Stick of Truth to the poll, and have officially cast my vote for it!

IceForce

Is this memes?
Legacy
Dec 11, 2012
You're still calling this "Reader's Choice" after last year's fiasco? Okay then.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
I have played none of these games. Literally none.

Guess I'll vote Shovel Knight because it's one of the few I hold an interest in?

Hey Resident Evil 4 was ported to the PC this year! That totally counts right?