Poll: How common is your name?

smithy_2045

Jan 30, 2008
Common enough that it isn't ridiculous, but not common enough that I constantly hear people calling out my name.

Also, Americans can't pronounce it right.

evilengine

Nov 20, 2009
Jack, which being in the UK has been the most common name for males for the past 8 or so years. Saying that I was named way before it was cool, so I guess it makes me a hipster.

mrhappy1489

May 12, 2011
My name is Caden, and the first time I saw something even similar was in Mass Effect when they has a character named Kaiden.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
My English name is quite rare, both names being derived from Old English, though one of the names (the one I normally go by) is Irish/Gaelic. Anglicised, my surname is German(-sounding). *shrug*

My Chinese name is... fairly common (family name), though my generational name is uncommon. I'm not that sure about my personal name...

And my name in Japanese is just weird...

oktalist

Feb 16, 2009
So, there are more people with very common names than there are with rare names. Another Earth-shattering result from the Maximegalon Institute for Slowly and Painfully Working Out the Surprisingly Obvious.

Polyg0n

Jul 16, 2009
Looking at the stats my name Hannu is fairly common among older people as an average of 1250 people a year were given this name between 1940-1959, but the popularity quickly fell and during the last decade only 30 a year got the name Hannu. So I guess that for now it is still a fairly common name, but will become rarish by the time I retire.

Royta

Aug 7, 2009
My name is Hasker, which is rare enough for only one other person in my country to actually have that name. That's 2/16 000 000. The full version is Hartger (think Dick-Richard), which is used a tad bit more, but no more then 10 people.

I usually just ask people to call me Roy, because the name is nearly impossible to pronounce in certain languages including..ironically..my own.

Kukakkau

Feb 9, 2008
Well depends where you are - in Scotland Scott is very common but overseas in like the US it's pretty rare I found.

s0p0g

Aug 24, 2009
fairly common in its "home country" (Ireland), but very very very very rare in these parts (Germany)

Robert Ewing

Mar 2, 2011
I wouldn't say my first name is THAT rare. Robert is a good traditional Scottish name. And so is Ewing, that's rare in the sense of how it is written, but not in the sense that it's had many, many turns of evolution. Ewing can be traced back as, Owen, Ewin, Eugene, Oewynn. Loads. Not sure what Ewing means, I know in some places it's known as a forest, but not in Scotland.

SilentCom

Mar 14, 2011
My first name is rather common in the U.S. As a matter of fact, the second poster here has the same first name as me...

My last name isn't as common, but it's not unheard of.

Feb 26, 2011
Let me put it to you THIS way: There are less than 75 people who attend my church. 4 of them have the same first name as me. And at least two of them are related. Confusion? Oh, yes.

konor77

Aug 26, 2009
My first names sorta common but I spell it differently to most. My last name is common where i come from. However I do have some weird ass middle names. My middle names are Faolan Noel and Leopold.