Poll: How do you feel about interracial marriages?

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
I work at a news station. Todays poll is "How do you feel about interracial marriages?" In just a few hours the results are currently:

I'm all for them - 22.17%
They can work, but it's difficult - 24.53%
I'm against them - 49.53%
Our marriage is interracial - 3.77%

NOTE: Anyone can select a poll question that goes to the website, but the main demographic is Tallahassee and its surrounding areas from Lower Georgia, Lower Alabama, and Upper Florida.

Now as someone that tries his best to understand the reasoning behind someones decisions, moralities, religious choices, etc this one confounds me. I can understand the gay marriage issue. Bibles says this, parents don't want to explain butt sex to their children, whatever... but this. What could someone possibly have against interracial marriage? I've been in a interracial relationship, nothing was really different except maybe music knowledge and I found myself occasionally forced to watch BET.

I really want to know the answer from someone who IS against interracial marriage. I do realize it may be difficult because The Escapist is generally a pretty opened arms website, but I'm sure there are a few. While I can't speak for others I will say that I myself will not flame you, I am just curious on the reason why. All thoughts are welcomed on this.

Also for the hell of it I made the exact same poll.

EDIT: Here is the final results to the poll question:
Our marriage is interracial - 3.43%
I'm against them - 43.49%
They can work, but it's difficult - 24.90%
I'm all for them - 28.18%

Just makes me sad and confused.

ms_sunlight

Jun 6, 2011
Zack Alklazaris said:
I really want to know the answer from someone who IS against interracial marriage. I do realize it may be difficult because The Escapist is generally a liberal website
You don't have to be "liberal" to not be a complete racist idiot!

Seriously, being flat out against interracial marriages is a Shibboleth for being a racist fool. I can understand people who vote for the option that says they're difficult, in a racist society they're going to be difficult. Being completely against though? That's like those bigoted, disingenuous bastards who say they're not racist, they just think different races should live apart and be "separate but equal".

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
ms_sunlight said:
Zack Alklazaris said:
I really want to know the answer from someone who IS against interracial marriage. I do realize it may be difficult because The Escapist is generally a liberal website
You don't have to be "liberal" to not be a complete racist idiot!

Seriously, being flat out against interracial marriages is a Shibboleth for being a racist fool. I can understand people who vote for the option that says they're difficult, in a racist society they're going to be difficult. Being completely against though? That's like those bigoted, disingenuous bastards who say they're not racist, they just think different races should live apart and be "separate but equal".
Your right, perhaps liberal is a poor choice. I meant more new generation, out with old views. I'll change that.

ChildishLegacy

Apr 16, 2010
I don't even know why this should be a question, I think some places are in a very sad state indeed for this to even be an issue :/
It's two people, how would skin colour/ethnicity change their feelings for each other? I'm pretty bemused to how there's anywhere near a divided opinion on this matter. It's also disgusting that 50% of the people polled hold these opinions, hopefully this was a 'bad sample'.

BENZOOKA

This is the most wittiest title
Oct 26, 2009
Sad and incomprehensible, yet interesting to know. I can't see any proper reasoning for anyone to be against it.

The only thinkable, but wrong, reasons I can think of, is some form of very primal mindset (or similar, derived from that) for your own people/community/race/etc. to do best in regards of breeding and happiness; a person of "your tribe" being paired with a person who is not from the same tribe as you, being like it would take something away from another person of your tribe. The other reason is the obvious racism.

Both are still phenomenons that should have ceased to be long ago, and most definitely should not exist in this modern era.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
I have two cousins who are either already married or engaged to men of a different race. I myself am currently dating a guy of a different race.

So yeah, I'm all for it. Furthermore, mixed-race people are super hot.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
if two ppl love each other and want to get married, I wish them well.

that being said, it's not like marriage actually means that much anymore.

RicoGrey

Oct 27, 2009
What I don't like about this poll is "I'm all for it" implies, to me, that this option is saying it is better to be in an interracial marriage. I am not all for them, but I am not against them either. In other words, the person's race should not be a significant factor in one's decision to marry them.

RicoGrey

Oct 27, 2009
GrandmaFunk said:
if two ppl love each other and want to get married, I wish them well.

that being said, it's not like marriage actually means that much anymore.
Speak for yourself, I am married, and my marriage means a lot to me.

zxvcasdfqwerzxcv

Nov 19, 2009
I don't really why people of two different races should not be able to have a relationship together.
The only problem could be if they were from two very different cultures; it could lead to familial difficulties.

Very little diversity where I'm from though, so I wouldn't have much firsthand experience.

GrandmaFunk

Oct 19, 2009
RicoGrey said:
well I certainly hope so, given that it's YOUR marriage.

but would you love your wife any less if you didn't happen to be married right now?
would you be any less committed to her if you weren't wearing a ring?

do you think being married makes your love more special than any other couple that's chosen not to get married?

marriage is a symbol, you can attach whatever power and emotion you want to it...but that's still coming from you, not from the simple state of "being married".

---

I'm from Quebec and practically no one in my generation/culture is getting married ...legally, it barely makes a difference and ppl feel it's mostly an empty gesture at this point.

McMarbles

May 7, 2009
Interracial? What, like, Human/Klingon?

Because I'm pretty sure we only have one race on the planet.

RicoGrey

Oct 27, 2009
GrandmaFunk said:
RicoGrey said:
well I certainly hope so, given that it's YOUR marriage.

but would you love your wife any less if you didn't happen to be married right now?
would you be any less committed to her if you weren't wearing a ring?

do you think being married makes your love more special than any other couple that's chosen not to get married?

marriage is a symbol, you can attach whatever power and emotion you want to it...but that's still coming from you, not from the simple state of "being married".

---

I'm from Quebec and practically no one in my generation/culture is getting married ...legally, it barely makes a difference and ppl feel it's mostly an empty gesture at this point.
I see what you mean, I misinterpreted your post to imply that you did not feel monogamous relationships had any value these days. I actually agree with every thing in your second post. I never told my wife, but my wedding day meant very little to me, for the exact reasons you posted above. Also, I don't wear my wedding ring, but that is because I hate jewelry, my wife understands that, and understood it before we got married.

latenightapplepie

Nov 9, 2008
McMarbles said:
Interracial? What, like, Human/Klingon?

Because I'm pretty sure we only have one race on the planet.
This is the route I was tempted to take. However really, in the context of social interaction, 'race' and 'racial' are valid sociological terms.