Poll: How do you pay your friends?

Qwurty2.0

Apr 21, 2011
Pay the normal rate. Most good friends will do it as a favor or at a lower price, unless their really oblivious to it. Unless they state otherwise, they are doing you a service and therefor you should pay them the full amount for that service unless they are doing it for a favor YOU did them in the past.

putowtin

I'd like to purchase an alcohol!
Jul 7, 2010
Just like any trade, ask the price ahead. If they say nothing, then you owe them a solid, and have some beers or something of the like for when they've finished

Sealpower

Jun 7, 2010
This is a typical case of weekend off-the-record work so his company isn't to be considered. Because of this payment in the form of money is limited to only cover the material (which I probably bought myself earlier). The work itself is payed for with an equal or greater service for him or his family. Alternatively with food, "fika", beer or moose meat.

SweetShark

Shark Girls are my Waifus
Jan 9, 2012
bojackx said:
Okay, so whilst I'm not currently experiencing any such scenario, I'm not sure how I would proceed if it actually happened.

So say you had a friend who is a builder, and you want a fireplace installing or something. Providing it takes a day at the most, how do you go about paying them? Do you pay him more because he's a buddy? Pay less or nothing because he's just doing you a favour? Or meet him halfway and just pay the normal amount? What if he was a waiter serving you instead of a builder? Would you tip him more or less?

As I said I'm not sure how I'd go about this, but I imagine the more likely option is for him to do it cheap or free, and then I'll owe him in any way I can.
Most of the times when I whant something to buy from my friend [I won't say what kind of shop he/she have], I pay always whatever he/she say to me. I NEVER tell my friend how much I will pay.
Don't get me wrong, but if you pay less or more from the amount your friend told you, I find this VERY rude.

suitepee7

I can smell sausage rolls
Dec 6, 2010
pay the normal rate, and if they knock the price down and do you a favour, pay back the favour in kind when you get the chance. sounds simple to me

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
Pay less but get it billed for more this way you can get a higher tax deduction. Even if you pay the standard amounnt get him to bill you more on paper.

A BigCup of Tea

Nov 19, 2009
I wouldn't use a friend full stop as if it goes wrong (say the fireplace collapses) if i phoned he/she they might get pissy at me and i wouldn't want to ruin a friendship

Captcha-pudding pops...what the hell is a pudding pop?

DanielBrown

Dangerzone!
Dec 3, 2010
The standard amount, unless my friend wants to settle for less. If so I'd compensate him some other way.
I don't think I would want to use a friend as help though. Learned the hard way that money and friendship doesn't work well together.

Schmeiser

Nov 21, 2011
When i worked as a waiter i would never accept tips from friends, i don't know why but it doesn't feel right. Just ask the friend for the price, he will probably ask less than the usual price which is fine because you are friends. Just be honest with yourself and with him and if you are truely friends you will work it out.

Blow_Pop

Supreme Evil Overlord
Jan 21, 2009
Honestly it's a case by case scenario. In a case of it being something you don't typically tip someone I do standard rate (unless the person explicitly states a different lower rate). In the case of being tipped, friend or not, it depends on the service. I've worked out arrangements with friends over a services trade as I am a massage therapist. I've traded off massages with other therapists or given a massage as a payment for work of some sort. So it really depends person to person.

Sigmund Av Volsung

Hella noided
Dec 11, 2009
I'd ask him how much it would cost, and just pay that amount.

I don't like using friendship as a way to get a discount, as it feels like I am using said person.

But that's just me.

Fifty-One

Sep 13, 2010
Dealing in favors can be dangerous because the perceived value of that favor my differ between parties.

DanielBrown said:
Learned the hard way that money and friendship doesn't work well together.
I'll add to that. Never loan a friend or family member money unless you're comfortable (financially and personally) gifting it to them.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
Heronblade said:
I try to avoid exchanging cash among friends where such is possible. In the case of a big project like our hypothetical fireplace I would prefer to pay for the materials and then do something similarly worthwhile for him/her in exchange.

If there isn't anything I can do in return in the near future, yes, I will pay full value.
Oh this is just golden. Imagine if you pay a friend to do some remodelling work and you're displeased with his work. That could be really tough on the friendship. I agree that I would prefer to keep my friends out of this as a paid job.

However if I had no choice it would have to depend on how much money I got, how much the standard is and how much money he's got compared to me. If I have the wage I assume I'll end up getting (quite low since I'm a biologist) and he's a moderately successful builder (those actually earn quite good money over here) then I would pay the standard unless he stated otherwise. If I was earning a whole lot and I knew he needed some extra money then I wouldn't mind though.

puff ball

Mar 14, 2011
money much like religion and politics is a quick way to ruin a relationship. that's why i find the best solution to be bartering they provide a service for you you help them with something in return. my mom did her friends taxes they help us around the house, we still paid for the materials in any project thus a mutually beneficial relationship. that's just one example there was this one time we gave away an old pool table in exchange for some electrical work done.

SaetonChapelle

May 11, 2010
I would just pay what the normal charge is (plus tip?!), and if he states you can pay less, do so. I would at least pay for the charge of the materials. Friendship is worth more than money. :3

antidonkey

Dec 10, 2009
If all of this revolves around profession services, then I pay whatever they want to charge me. I do not ask or expect a discount. However, if they give me one, then great. After it's all said and done, I'd toss in a 6 pack of their choice, too.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
DanielBrown said:
I don't think I would want to use a friend as help though. Learned the hard way that money and friendship doesn't work well together.
Pure wisdom right there. I'd rather deal with a stranger for these kind of things. If I was unsatisfied with the job I would be more comfortable complaining to a stranger and I can see lots of ways to lose a friend if I had him do this.

Money and any kind of relationships, family or friends often leads to conflicts I'd rather avoid.

kasperbbs

Dec 27, 2009
Nothing like that has come up recently, but he would probably insist on doing it for free or real cheap, then i would argue with him and we would settle on the standard amount. People here are so damned polite, you practically need to force money on them. Unless they're strangers, then they will rob you blind.