Poll: How do you pronounce Terraria

SSoSFAGTiaCaGwaP

Mar 11, 2011
This has been gnawing at my mind for some time now.

I'm not very good at spelling out words phonetically, hopefully you will understand what I mean.

Yes, people do seriously pronouce it like the second option. I didn't know it until my friend tried to correct me one day.

Also, someone told me that Redigit pronounces it "air" in an interview.

Personally, I think it's the first, because it only has one "r" after the second "a". If it had two, then it would be pronounced the second way.

EDIT: My mind is made up. It is definitly Terrarium but with an a at the end http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/terraria

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Ter-AIR-ia is how I have always said it. Never heard it the other way.

AstylahAthrys

Apr 7, 2010
Honestly, I have no idea how to pronounce it, so I usually say it like Te-rair-arr-ar-ira. Yes, I know I'm lame. Most of the time I try to avoid saying it in general.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
believer258 said:
Like a pirate.

My brother and I have been having this argument. He takes it completely seriously. I don't see how anyone could see it spelled any other way.

Terraria

Terr - arr - eee - uhh

Terraria

Where the hell do you get "air" from? There's no spelling to suggest that...
I get "terr - air - ee - uh" because the word looks like "terrarium", which is pronounced similarly.

Ulquiorra4sama

Saviour In the Clockwork
Feb 2, 2010
Terr-aria

Starting out kinda like you'd say Terra, but cut off before the A and then keep going with ARIA as in how some people would say "air" (Presumably latin people, but i'm not sure)

EDIT: If you're wondering about the perhaps curious way of placing emphasis i'll justify it by being norwegian.

Telumektar

Jul 7, 2010
I pronounce it Terr-a-ria

-Terr like in "terror", a like in "ah?" and ria like in "malaria"

But then Spanish is my first language so I tend to go for the Latin-languages approach when reading this kind of stuff.
Slightly OT: videogame devs/publishers have a tendency for using names that sound cool in English but sometimes they sound mundane for those who speak romance-languages.

EDIT - Windexglow's version sounds the most accurate to me: Ter-R-E-ah

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
when you first look at it, you want to pronounce it with Air, cause it looks like Terrarium and it starts to feel more natural rolling off the tongue.

But when I start to say it, I want to say it more with the ARR sound, cause it just looks more... right (to me at least). and sounds more right.

though I've never played.

Furioso

Jun 16, 2009
I'm pretty sure Terraria comes from the word "terrain" so ter-AIR-ia is how it should be pronounced

F4LL3N

May 2, 2011
Sometimes I say 'Terr ee ree ah' or 'Terra ree ah', but I've heard it pronounced 'Terr RAH ree ah', or 'Terr ARR ia'.

If I'm not thinking about it, I'll say Terra Ree Ah. But I don't think that's right.

LawlessSquirrel said:
Teh-rar-ri-ah

But that may be a little aussie coming through.
I'm Aussie too and that's how I pronounced it until I heard someone actually say it.