Poll: How do you type?

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
.... wow. i didn't expect that kind of response. is typing properly really all that odd? o_O i didn't learn to type in a typing class, but rather through extensive playing of MUDs where typing fast was essential to your survival. but i do type normally with a qwerty keyboard, not looking, fingers on home row, all that good stuff...

4RM3D

May 10, 2011
Marter said:
It's keeping your fingers on the middle row of keys, and then only moving them off there to reach other letters.

Here's a picture of what I mean. When not typing any letters, you're supposed to keep you fingers on these keys.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0d/QWERTY-home-keys-position.svg/300px-QWERTY-home-keys-position.svg.png
That's how I gradually "taught" myself. I didn't take any course or something. It just came naturally over the years.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Freestyle. My fingers are near the home keys but I don't actually use the correct finger for the correct key. It's probably not the fastest method, but it's the most comfortable one I've ever tried.

viking97

Jan 23, 2010
i type with ring, middle and index, and i move my around quite a bit. it works well for me.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
I tend to type with most of my fingers on the home row keys, except I usually have my left pinky closer to the shift button and I tend to keep my left middle finger over the E key. Right side is pretty normal (Home Row). And in Elementary School we took the Mavis Beacon typing class, it was a computer program to teach us. And my parents got me a typing game when I was younger

God's Clown

Aug 8, 2008
I use all my fingers as you would learn in a class, but I didn't learn it from class. I learned from playing MMOs.

SuperSuperSuperGuy

Jun 19, 2010
I really never though about it. I just kinda glance at my keyboard and type. I mostly use my two index fingers, but I don't need to go looking for the keys I want to press. I'm rather quick, and I type using a mixture of sight and touch.

HerbertTheHamster

Apr 6, 2009
I type with all my fingers, without ever learning the "home row" system. I always keep my left hand on ctrl, AWD and space because of all my time playing fps games.

My WPM is 109, surprisingly. maybe all that brood war did help.

Zenron

The Laughing Shadow
May 11, 2010
People take typing classes? Is it really such a complex skill that it requires tutelage? I've never even heard of people getting typing lessons, which is probably the reason that I'm not familiar with the terms people are using in this thread. Is this an American thing?

Writing this I found that I generally use the first two fingers on each hand to type while my thumb rests on the spacebar and my little fingers rest on the shift key and the backspace.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Marter said:
No.

It's keeping your fingers on the middle row of keys, and then only moving them off there to reach other letters.

Here's a picture of what I mean. When not typing any letters, you're supposed to keep you fingers on these keys.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0d/QWERTY-home-keys-position.svg/300px-QWERTY-home-keys-position.svg.png
*blink**blink* Ooooooooh, thank you. In that case... yeah, I have an annoying habit of 'feeling' the ridges on the 'f' and 'j' keys with my index fingers when I'm not typing. Though, having a pianist's hands, I generally don't need to move my wrists at all to be able to reach every key required for word processing. *hrk* I'm consciously checking as I'm typing this post... strong pinkies FTW!

Jodah

Aug 2, 2008
I do a hybrid of the two main systems. I start at "home row" and move my hands around as necessary. Most of the time I use my thumbs, left middle, and right index fingers. The others get used from time to time. I learned how to do it the "right" way while I was in school but never really stuck with it.

I do it touch typing, however. I rarely need to look at the keyboard, in fact it used to drive my mom crazy that I could be typing something and carrying on a conversation with her while making eye contact. I type faster and more accurately that most people I know.

Klarinette

May 21, 2009
After watching myself type this... I tend to only use my right index finger, and then my index, middle and ring finger on my left. I was taught the whole home row thing, but I was never really pushed to practice it. That said, I still type faster than a lot of people I know.

Zakarath

Mar 23, 2009
I generally type fairly quickly and with all my fingers, but I never really picked up the way you're 'supposed' to do it. I generally just keep both hands on the keyboard and use whichever finger is most convenient. I'm also fairly fast at typing one-handed, as I used to do a lot of it when I was holding a book or something I was researching with one hand and typing with the other.

SuperNova221

May 29, 2010
Other.

I don't home row, but I do touch type. The bottom of my left palm is resting on the keyboard below the left windows key, left thumb on the space bar, almost like home row but with a different starting position (fingers resting between kets, not on them). My right hand moves around as needed and does most of the work. I sometimes need to look down to reposition my right hand as it moves around a lot, therefore can sometimes become out of place. This has been happening less and less recently. Other than that, I'm never required to look down at the keyboard. Oddly, if I was asked to, I wouldn't be able to say the position of all the keys on the keyboard. I don't consiously know where they are. But while typing I just do, if that makes any sense.

Quaxar

Sep 21, 2009
Actually, I have no idea. Mostly I use my whole left and just the middle finger of the right... I have no idea how I came to this but I can assure you I am really fast at that technique, much faster than when typing using the normal 10-finger system.

Actually, using 10 fingers makes me mistype a lot and weirds me out.

Game_Geek

Mar 26, 2011
I type mostly with my first three fingers on both hands (Index, Middle > Ring) my thumb sorta lays there ontop of the space bar like a limp noodle and my little pinky fingers are on Shift and CAPS LOCK duty.

Riddle78

Jan 19, 2010
Lightspeed hunt and peck using each individual finger. I tend to be miles faster than anyone else in the room.