Poll: How do you type?

Creator002

Aug 30, 2010
Having a QWERTZ keyboard, I used my left pinky/ring finger a lot to hit the 'Y' (which is where 'Z' is for all you QWERTY people) while typing in English. Otherwise I just poke around with my index and middle fingers to type.
If it's light, I usually look at the keyboard while typing, but it's dark now, so I typed all this without looking. It's actually not too hard[footnote]But I did make a ton more mistakes than usual.[/footnote].

Continuity

May 20, 2010
I never learned to touch type but I do type pretty fast, I use all my fingers though not for the same keys as they teach you for touch typing, mostly just index and middle fingers though I do use my ring fingers for QAZ & PL.

letfireraindown

Jul 28, 2010
Home row mostly, but I have become faster than some when typing one handed. Nothing like keeping up in an im conversation while eating popcorn with chopsticks.

MurderousToaster

Aug 9, 2008
I didn't get taught it in school, but I tend to use most of my fingers while typing, and can touch type pretty quickly. I type a lot slower when I actually think about it, though. That said my left hand's fingers, when not actually typing something, always sit on WASD due to all my time spent on gaming.

I don't even think that a class for typing properly exists in the Scottish curriculum.

zama174

Oct 25, 2010
4RM3D said:
Marter said:
It's keeping your fingers on the middle row of keys, and then only moving them off there to reach other letters.

Here's a picture of what I mean. When not typing any letters, you're supposed to keep you fingers on these keys.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0d/QWERTY-home-keys-position.svg/300px-QWERTY-home-keys-position.svg.png
That's how I gradually "taught" myself. I didn't take any course or something. It just came naturally over the years.
^ Thats exactly what I did as well. I have spent literal years of my life on this thing, I write a lot on it so its came naturally to me. That and when you play Gunz the duel, you learn where to put your hand to K-style... (God damn triple butterfly, I never mastered you..)

Though being a gamer, I mostly keep my hand on wasd, spacebar, and pinky on shift. But thats close to home row..

Aug 1, 2010
I started with the Index Poke, but over time I started using thumb here and a pinky there and now I type very quickly with all fingers.

I think the "Home Row" thing is kind of silly.

SonicKaos

Jan 21, 2011
Home row doesn't seem as effective as the way I do it, which is almost the same deal and I've learned where all of the keys are. I just kinda put my fingers wherever they need to be at the time, mostly using my index and middle finger to go everywhere they need to. I'm able to type faster then many people this way anyway, which I kind of learned to do through using MSN and other chat programs to be honest.

School tried to teach me home row, but it was uncomfortable. Constantly using the internet meant I had to speed up though, so I developed my own way I guess. Never thought of it before lol, but that's kinda cool.

AMX58

Jan 27, 2010
Yeah i was tought in skool but did not pass the class but learn a few good things about keyborading and more talking to women then typing lol

Atheist.

Overmind
Sep 12, 2008
I type with all of my fingers, but not in the "Home row method."

I've naturally developed a custom setup: AWEF with the left hand and MOP Shift with the right. Left thumb on space, right thumb on alt. My fingers are still technically in a row, but I feel that each finger is closer to the most commonly used keys this way.