Poll: How do you type?

SillyNilly

Sep 17, 2009
Fiz_The_Toaster said:
I was taught how to type in school and I personally hated using the home row that they made me do. I type much faster without doing that and I don't have as many errors as I would with the "proper" technique. I used to piss off my instructors when I would go back to my style after the typing lesson was over and was much faster than they wanted.
This is how folks should familiarize themselves with a keyboard, by finding their style. Homerow feels so restrictive.

I took a WPM test (This one: http://www.typeonline.co.uk/typingspeed.php ) and found I type at a rate of 47 WPM with 5 mistakes using my current style.

Heh.

I found that I rest my left hand:

-Pinky on A
-Left ring on E
-Left middle on R
-Left index on G
-Left thumb on the left mouse input for this laptop
-Left hand is tilted 45 degrees counterclockwise

And for the right hand:

-Right index on J
-Right middle on I
-Right ring on O
-Right pinky just floating around.
-Right thumb on the touchpad

I notice that I focus more on vowels than consonants. My pacing is slow, but I prefer comfort over efficiency (That's what revisions are for!) coupled with speed any day of the week. Yes, I look at the keyboard for more complex words.

I guess I adapted to a laptop. I used to be much faster, but not anymore. *shrugs*

The Apothecarry

Mar 6, 2011
Screw home row. I place my hands relative to where the keys I want to hit are. Also, as of right now I index poke with my left hand and multi-finger with my right.

I'm starting to realize how wrong that sounded.

Captcha: oral iptionec
Okay, so "oral" was in cursive, but I don't want to know what an "iptionec" is. NO WIKIPEDIA LINKS

twistedmic

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 8, 2009
I did take some typing classes in school, but I don't type exactly the way I was taught, though I do sometimes put my fingers on the 'home row'. And I do use most of my fingers when typing

Alade

Ego extravaganza
Aug 10, 2008
well I basically use a self-taught style, mostly like the one they teach at schools (no home-row, just index fingers resting on f and j). Basically I think this way of typing is the best because I can type at ridiculous speeds with minimum spelling errors (the spelling errors are usually confirmed by touch so the backspace button gets an automatic click).

Try taking this test for speed typing, I do wonder about the results.

free online typing test [http://speedtest.10-fast-fingers.com]

Toar

Nov 13, 2009
I went to the class and learned the positions, but I taught myself. My spelling is only half-decent and my speed is REALLY REALLY GOOD. I don't know my speed, but I suppose it is pretty good, not the best mind you, but good.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
I had a "computer" class in middle school but it was in the mid 90s and was mostly worthless and I learned prior to this. However, I've been using computers since a TRS-80 was awesome. I suppose I type in the proper way, but because it came natural. I use all 10 fingers and trained myself to type quickly and correctly looking at the screen as a type, since up until I was 15 or so I looked at the keyboard.

Using DOS back in the days helped. You had to type to do everything, unlike today's fancy GUI's and mouse driven operating systems.

AngryMongoose

Elite Member
Jan 18, 2010
I don't know, how do you walk?

I type quickly; I know only one person who types faster than me, and they did so professionally. I never took a class, but I certainly don't have to search and poke with one finger. I know the position of the keys by heart, but I generally look down every few words to realign my hands (ie arudd kujw rgua gaoowbs).

sylekage

Dec 24, 2008
I just go with my two index fingers, starting with them, then using my other fingers, I don't use home row or whatever. I then just look where my fingers are gonna go next and I can get pretty fast with it.

Twilight.falls

Jun 7, 2010
I know where every key on the keyboard is without looking. I can easily type without looking relatively quickly with limited errors.

TheBadGamer

Mar 8, 2010
I have more or less I taught myself to type. But I know I have gone from always looking at the keyboard and type really slowly to a quick glans on keyboard and just above average typing speed.

infohippie

Oct 1, 2009
I use all my fingers, fairly fast too. I can't quite touch-type, however, I need to keep glancing down at the keyboard or I start making all kinds of errors.

kabooz18

May 27, 2009
Main- index- and ringfingers
also I use the thumb for space and the pinky for return, shift and backspace

Dalek Caan

Pro-Dalek, Anti-You
Feb 12, 2011
Index finger on each hand, or sometimes like right know I will use one finger on my right hand and three on my left.

Anchupom

In it for the Pub Club cookies
Apr 15, 2009
I ignore my little fingers a lot but apart from that I use the correct way of typing for QWERTY. Occasionally I use a search and poke method to locate certain letters but after that muscle memory kicks in and I can touch type the remainder of whatever I wanted to put into text.

Never had "typing classes" though. Learning stuff like this has always fascinated me for some reason. I'm now considering using the DVORAK setup, but it seems like a lot of effort to undo about 10 years of perfecting my slap-dash QWERTY style.
(I also want to run Linux, but the same kind of attitude is keeping me from switching from Windows. DAMN YOU MICROSOFT!)