Poll: How do you type?

bl4ckh4wk64

Walking Mass Effect Codex
Jun 11, 2010
Without looking at the keyboard, typing quickly, don't use home key. Not sure how else to describe it, I suppose I can say that it works quite well.

A-D.

Jan 23, 2008
I use 2 to 6 Fingers, including Thumbs, so basicly at least indexfingers+thumbs, at most index-, middle- and ringfingers+thumbs.

And by default i just keep my hands at uh..well left is sorta on the normal "wasd" keyset, including shift and all of that and the right is for moving around alot to reach the other keys that my left hand obviously cant :3

That being said i tend to type usually by randomly checking and re-adjusting my fingers to the right keys by looking at the keyboard, though usually i type "blind" i.e. dont look at the keyboard and simply look at the result on Screen. Never took a Class for that though, learned there were classes for it like..couple years ago now but never understood the need for them, given that learning the way around a keyboard is pretty easy and comes quite fast too once you get used to it sufficiently.

devotedsniper

Dec 28, 2010
My hands tend to stay on the center line like there meant to but when it comes to reaching for other keys my hands become a blur as they move all over the place, i guess you could call it my own personal hybrid of the way i was taught, either way i use mainly my index and middle finger and thumb for space.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
I used to type just by poking at all of the keys with my index fingers, but over the past year I started typing with that method they teach you in school without even realizing it. Most likely because I just ended up adapting to it when I started writing.

JasonKaotic

Mar 18, 2009
There are typing classes? I never had any of those.
Well, I usually start by having my left fingers on A, S, D, F and my thumb on Space, my right fingers on K, O, [, ] and my right thumb also on Space, but when I start typing that arrangement completely goes away, my fingers just fly across the keyboard. I just seem to know where all the keys are off by heart, somehow. I can't recall where they are without a keyboard, but I can figure it out by moving my fingers in the air.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
I seem to have some sort of weird stance where I keep my left hand hovering over the "ASDF" keys and I have my right hand in a position where my pinky is slightly above the "Shift" key, although I never actually use my pinky on the Shift key. It's very strange. And yet I still get quiet a good word-per-minute average though...

EDIT: I just noticed that I use my right index finger whenever I hit the space bar. Huh, that's bizarre...

Hamster at Dawn

It's Hazard Time!
Mar 19, 2008
I basically just use the search and poke method but I know where all the keys are by now so the "search" portion isn't really involved anymore. I actually use my middle fingers mostly - I don't know why, it's just developed that way. I could probably type faster if I learned how to touch type but as it is I can still type adequately fast and I make very few typing errors.

Sarahcidal

Jun 1, 2009
with only my index finger and middle finger on each hand.. i can type around 70+ wpm though and rarely look at the keyboard.. my friends dont understand how i do it lol

Mikeyfell

Elite Member
Aug 24, 2010
I have a custom typing method
It's mostly the proper way but I don't use my right ring finger. I really suck at hitting the o button

Zeroandx

Apr 7, 2010
I was never taught to type but I mainly use my index fingers, resting my fingers over the WASD keys.

Mr. Gency

Jan 26, 2010
I'll ether be typing with one hand (usually my right hand, but I'll use my left in... certain situations), or with both of my hands hovering above the keyboard.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
I type with my index fingers and my left thumb is used for the spacebar. I could never type with all four/five of my fingers because I just can't. Even after learning how to do it waaaaaay back in summer school during my elementary years, I still couldn't get use to typing like that.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
I use the home row technique. Never really have to look at the keyboard unless I make a typo or something.

Aidinthel

Occasional Gentleman
Apr 3, 2010
I mainly use my index fingers, though I hit the space bar with my right thumb, the shift key with my left little finger, and the delete button with my right middle finger.

Midnight Crossroads

Jul 17, 2010
At rest it's on the middle row like you're supposed to use it, but I never got the hang of using my pinkie for anything except the backspace key and brackets. I rely more on my ring fingers.

So, mostly proper.