Poll: How do you type?

Cazza

Jul 13, 2010
I type with the main 3 fingers of both hands. I believe my typing speed is average.

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
I type the way I type.
I never took a class, never even heard of them. I just type. I type quite quickly, with both hands and 5 fingers. I move my hands around, I don't centre them anywhere. I use my middle 3 fingers for letters and numbers, my pinkies for symbols and my thumbs for space, shift and such. It works for me.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
I guess a mix of the way that I learned in school and just whats become more and more comfortable over the years. But it has come to the point that, unless theres one specific symbol or specific commands- I really never need to look at the keyboard. Had a prank where a friend took out and switched all the keys around and I honestly didnt notice until he pointed it out to me.

staika

I am Tizzy's Willing Slave
Aug 3, 2009
My typing style would be considered the index finger search and poke, but I've gotten really good at it and I really don't search with my eyes and I use all my fingers. It's a pretty strange way to type, and my friends always wonder how I type so fast with the way I type. I was taught how to type properly but I was never very good at it so I just scrapped it when my typing class was done and went back to typing like I do now.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
I have never really though about it but I seem to be using my thumb for the space bar, first finger for like the inner ring of letters and the next two fingers for outter rings.

Like the letters G and H are in the middle, so around that kind of area is all down the frst finger, but sometimes it does migrate over to the D.

It really depends on the word I am typing that determines what my fingers are doing, like for some words my left finger presses the Y key.

Lets just say, the way I type isn't taught in schools. I have developed my own style of touch typing.

Only took me a year ...

Zekksta said:
Homerow at 143wpm.
You can type just over two words a second? I am finding that hard to believe.

EscapeGoat_v1legacy

Aug 20, 2008
I was never taught to type and simply taught myself using a QWERTY pad, and can use all of my fingers. Then I had to unlearn it all and relearn typing on a DVORAK, which is what I use now. Still, I find it kind of scary how quickly I've began to lose my typing speed and memory, just by not using a computer for the last couple of weeks while my laptop was away for repairs.

DirtyMagic

Mar 18, 2011
I type with my left index finger and my whole right hand.
My left index finger is fast as HELL.

Don't judge me!

Redlin5_v1legacy

Better Red than Dead
Aug 5, 2009
All the right type. Despite hating that program with the passion of a thousand suns, it forced me to type the standard method and I do appreciate now having the fast typing speed that I got from that class. BUT IT WAS SOOOO DAMN BORING!

[sub]Still... It helps me to ninja/avoid ninjas[/sub]

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
I use this odd combination of the stuff I was force fed in third grade when I had a cast on my right hand and a one-handed method of my own devising.

Ranorak

Tamer of the Coffee mug!
Feb 17, 2010
I honestly have no clue, as soon as I start paying attention, I start making mistakes :D

diebane

Apr 7, 2010
Marter said:
I type with all of my fingers, but I don't use the "home row" technique that is taught in schools. I do have to move my hands a bit more because of this, but I type quite fast with limited errors.
This. I learned typing in a class ages ago, but frequent use of internet forums and chat programs have done their part.

mfG diebane

Girl With One Eye

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA
Jun 2, 2010
I only use my index fingers and my thumb to type. But I can type pretty fast and don't need to look at the keyboard anymore.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
Normal QWERTY typing. And thank god for that. I absolutely did not want to take typing class in school, but it was a pre-req for a class i did want. And honestly, while it was far from my favorite class, it's the one that's been of the most use to me in all the years since. Honestly, i don't know how i would survive my years of MMO addiction if i had to hunt-and-peck. Plus, you know, work... >.>

b3nn3tt

May 11, 2010
I alternate between my index and middle fingers whilst typing, I'll occassionally use my ring finger as well if I'm feeling adventurous.

I'm the same as the OP, inasmuch as I was never actually taught the home row way of typing in school yet use computers enough to be able to type pretty fast anyway. Actually, I think we had the home row thing mentioned to us once, and that was the extent of our exposure to it.

Johnny Impact

Aug 6, 2008
aegix drakan said:
I type mostly how it was taught in typing class.

But I look at the keyboard most of the time.

EDIT: But it has nothing to do with what I learned in typing class. I learned to type like this because it's the fastest way to get thoughts onto the screen. I thank my internet addiction for my fast typing, not my boring and annoying typing classes.
I thank my MMO addiction. WoW, CoH and EVE taught me more about typing quickly and accurately than any class.