Poll: how good is Battlefield 3

Zero47

Oct 27, 2009
Not much of an FPS enthousiast here, picked up BF3 regardless. I couldn't get into the multiplayer, mostly it's just not my thing. My single player review:

The experience definitely goes into one of my best single player gaming experiences so far. I recently bought a powerhouse of a gaming computer so I ran through the single player on ultra settings. The visuals are simply amazing. The story is keeping me interested even though the drama is so far spread pretty thin. I'm missing some deepening of the characters, the game in itself is atmospheric enough to really bring me into the situation but in terms of character reactions/behaviour is simply falls short to the quality of the visuals/realism. For example in a war you'll lose comrades, a tank on my platoon got taken down with two privates in it and seemingly not a single fuck was given. When the game does give room for dialogue and characters to show their personaility it feels fitting and right, it's just that this part could be worked out more to make the player feel more engaged in being a part of a squad. Overall the immersion is still top notch for me.

As I've said the graphics are amazing. I simply can't imagine games getting much more stunning, nor do I want them to. I really wonder if more detailed character models would increase the immersion factor instead of ending up looking all wrong because it's too much of an immitation (like how android robots look creepy despite being nearly pot on in terms of visual resemblance). I'd be completely fine with it if gaming stopped the graphics advancement here, made this the standard and put the focus into building a mechanically better game.

Haven't been online a great deal yet but the single player gameplay is quite bland. It's fun to play but the lack of character development (upgrades, new mechanics, etc) keeps the game simple. I do really like the pacing of it all, cinematics and shifts of playstyle (stealth, up close, tank, fighter jet, etc) are frequent, keeps it fresh. The controls and shooting feel more responsive than any other FPS I've played, to a point where I actually feel like I don't suck balls at it.

I don't see myself playing the single player campaign again and I definitely don't see myself spending the time on this game I have on Oblivion for example. However the single player campaign is an experience that I really enjoyed, without the online gaming an expensive one though.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Forget about the singleplayer, no one should ever buy this game for that. The multiplayer is FANTASTIC! I rate the mp a 9/10. Great unlock progression, the maps are very good and varied, and the game plays like butter and looks pretty incredible!

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Singleplayer is alright, fun enough, but could do with a lot more work. It's moving in the right direction though, they just need to tone down the scripting and put a more interesting story in the works (but granted, that's not too easy with a military shooter, we've seen it all before).

Multiplayer is a pure 10 (there's always room for improvement, don't get me wrong, but it's a hell of a lot of fun and feels right on pretty much all points). Infantry combat's more fun than ever thanks to the return of prone, the addition of "leap over" feature and tons of different weapon mods, including a really good share of new ones (flashlights, bipods, laser pointers etc.).

Same goes for vehicles, loving the fact we can customize them quite a bit now. Jets never felt better and it's a great change that they took out the 'deserter' map constrictions for them so they can have some more space (realistically, maps big enough for planes to fly around in seamlessly would be way too big for the number of players we can support with hardware these days)

Haven't played all the maps yet, but liking what I see so far, seems it has a bit of everything. I heavily prefer large, open, vehicle maps, but even the close quartered ones like Operation Metro are a hell of a lot of fun thanks to pacing and the environment variety (basically 3 different maps rolled into one). Seeing an aircraft carrier+island map also put a wide grin on my face, although I wish they've put some naval combat in to boot, there was something thrilling about the sound of Destroyers providing artillery fire back in BF1942 (though granted, it was a boring job for whoever was doing it).

Not minding the Battlelog either. When I first heard of it, I threw up in my mouth a little at the idea, but honestly, after trying it, I love it. I don't have to wait through the EA/DICE/splash screen and I get to pick a map, tell it to load it up for me and until it does, I can browse around (something I was doing in BFBC2 anyway, but something that was completely impractical thanks to alt-tab times with a fullscreen game). Grouping with friends is also made quite easy and the voice chat works great, fantastic even, considering it's a built-in one (native voice chat in WoW for example was the worst thing I've laid ears on).

Haven't tried the co-op yet, but looking forward to it, few friends are supposed to get it/have some time tomorrow :)

ToastiestZombie

Don't worry. Be happy!
Mar 21, 2011
krazykidd said:
AMMO Kid said:
The multiplayer is jaw dropping. Wow. Who cares about single player in a multiplayer based game? This game is easily 8-9 for me. And if my opinion doesn't sell you, my level 50 in battlefield 2 next door neighbor loves the crap out of it!
This actually convinced me ... Not to buy it , why didn't they just make a multiplayer game, and sell it for 15-20$ less? Why make a single player campaign if your not going to put proper effort in the single player why add it in the first place? I was actually hyped for this game until i played the demo , it ressembled MW a littlw too much.
First of all, it was a beta not a demo. It was only really there to test the net code. There wasn't any vehicles yes but in the main game all maps have at least 2 or 3 vehicles. The map they chose was the worst one they could of chosen. But I can assure you that the main game feels nothing like MW.

Secondly, if they didn't have any single player people would whine if they bought it used. You dont have to play the SP. You can play the MP and have as much fun as you would in even the best SP games.

Also, EA has confirmed that Battlefield wont be a MP only game. To be honest, when was the last time you saw an MP only game, priced at $60 that did particularly well (except for Team Fortress 2).

teqrevisited

Mar 17, 2010
About 8 or 9 I'd give it. I'm ignoring the singleplayer, though.

The only thing that lets it down for me is the battlelog system. Taking seconds to load was an absolute lie and there are quite a few useful proper server browser options that aren't there.

F4LL3N

May 2, 2011
I would give it a 9 for multiplayer. It's great fun; I love the pace of it, and as of right now, most matches I get into EVERYBODY plays how it should be played (although that's subjective).

I've yet to see someone k/d whoring, there's camping, but there's just enough to make it all the more better. I never thought camping would lower on my list of annoyances, but it actually feels right to camp a little bit in this game... There's definitely no 'arcade' feel to it like CoD.

I feel some aspects of it are overly complicated (non gameplay aspects), but it's not too bad.

As for campaign; I got near the end of the second mission before the game froze, so I can't really comment. It wasn't anything special from what I played though, so I went to MP.

I don't want to use the word 'realistic', but I will say it feels a lot more realistic than CoD; although I still love CoD.

EDIT: I bought it yesterday afternoon and played it non stop from about 2PM 'till 4:30 in the morning, and I'm about to play it right now, waking up only 30 minutes ago. So it mustn't be too bad.

Jitters Caffeine

Sep 10, 2011
Honestly? I've been hearing some not so great reviews from non-gaming websites or "official" game reviewers from big sites. Most of the complaints are about the unlocking system making it EXTREMELY non-new player friendly, especially when it comes to vehicle specs. Every vehicle has 3 different specs slots you unlock things for by USING that vehicle. So you start off with let's say a jet with just it's miniguns... You'll get blow out of the sky immediately by anyone who's had the game longer than you because THEIR jets have instant kill seeker rockets. And I REALLY have an issue with Dice saying they want it to take "over a year to unlock everything." That just seems excessive to me.

chad_quixote

Nov 18, 2009
The main reason I cold not go higher than 6/7, is I am a pc gamer-
When I buy a game, I want to go zip click install (\whistle through instll) bam kill kill kill....
It took me roughly an hour just to instal orgin, update orgin, install game...etc etc

then you have to open origin, log in, click play bf3
click load single player on web browser that comes up
wait to load
oh wait, i can has game?

I played a handful of missions, and really would have loved to score higher; but teh interface to actually get it installed and then opening browser to play etc etc really kills the experience for me.

i'm afraid to know what i have to do for the multiplayer

6unn3r

Aug 12, 2008
I rounded up to a 9 from an 8.5.

Its still got a handfull of bugs and ofc there is always the fuck-nuggets who jump into choppers and then crash into the nearest lamp post, people that wander past you while you lie with your intestines hanging out and dont drop medkits aaaaand the ever present "ive been playing for so long ive goten all the upgrades for this jet so killing me becomes akin to finding jimmy hoffa" types but.

It is fun.

I am baised tho, being a BF 2, BF 2142 and BFBC2 veteran i have missed the collective tactical thinking from 2142, while also cutting out the sheer....well, stupidity of BFBC2.

ChillzMaster

Mar 23, 2011
Battlefield 3... well, on the Armorgames forums me and my British counterpart HighFire always crushed the unintelligent CoD fanboys with our superior PC/Intelligent Console Gamer wit and awaited the eventual release of Battlefield 3 with bitten fingernails and our overly-tested patience.

And then I got around to acquiring it on launch day and actually playing it.

I'm not afraid to admit some things. I'm not afraid to admit I dug Godfather II the Game. I'm not afraid I got caught up in the DN:F hype and got the Balls of Steel edition. I'm also not afraid to say that Battlefield 3 stands as one of three pieces of media that have made Your Friendly Neighborhood Satanist cry.

It was that damn plane mission that was a glorified AC-130 mission, when you take off and you're flying about and DICE uses the moment to showcase the power of the Frostbite 2 engine, and then the Battlefield theme plays. I couldn't help myself, the mood was set, just like in the greatest of films or books or songs, a game had immersed me completely in the experience and pulled my heartstrings until I cried at its beauty.

The Singleplayer is... not as good as Halo Reach... but still pretty solid. Granted, I've only played halfway through the campaign, but I think I've got a good idea of what's to come. The Multiplayer, however, should be the main reason you buy this game, and is the rock show of the year. Arkham City, Crysis 2, Portal 2, they all pale in comparison to the sheer thrill of skydiving off a cliff to your next objective in that Peak map. Sweet Semen of Baby Jesus, so many unlocks, so many ribbons, so many stats, its the perfect multiplayer.

All in all, a 9-10 from me.

-Chillz

Whateveralot

Oct 25, 2010
Buggy as hell. I'm playing the PC version. I Couldn't play it after I installed and reinstall it twice "error has occured, please reinstall the game". In the end the internet told me I should update IExplorer, which the game didn't give me the SLIGHTEST hint about.

Now, when I play the game, the audio is all messed up. It skips and mutes randomly. It's not unplayable, but it just sucks.

I'm ok with Origin, even though installing was a hassle and the interface is unclear of what it's actually doing (it said "downloading" when it was gathering data from the disks, and repairing the install broke the game, forcing me a reinstall which didn't really fix the problem.

Then there's the lag. No matter what settings I play it on, it lags equally much, so I don't think I should blame my rig (which is well over minimum specs; auto-detect set settings on "high"). In multiplayer, it happens very often that my weapon "disappears", and just stays behind me together with the front half of my character's geometry. It looks really wierd and makes the multiplayer unplayable.

I really like the game though, I just hate it for not letting me play it properly. It deserves a 9+ out of 10, but personally I'm stuck at a 5 out of 10, because it's buggy as it gets

Fooz

Oct 22, 2010
i picked it up earlier, and i have been playing through the campaign, and so far, my mind is blown, it feels like a real war, the graphics really make you become immersed (ultra settings on PC)and the fucking sound... not discrediting the graphics as they are awe inspiring, but the sounds in this game is absolutely amazing, especially with headphones, i don't think i have ever heard such clear and realistic sounds in a game ever

my verdict so far: BUY THIS FUCKING GAME NOW! (even more so if you can play it on a high spec PC)

shaboinkin

Apr 13, 2008
I really wish Dice would get out of their feelings and put the commander role back in. It made the game way more organized. You have the commander telling the squad leader's what to do, which they (most of the time) would pass on the info to their squad members. This helped out from have people running astray on this large maps which I notice this happening now. You got 64 players and no objective which leads to 64 players doing what they want to do.

Good game though. 7.5-8 range for me. Graphics look great, a HD6870 with AMD Phenom II x4 runs the game pretty damn smooth. If you got anything in that range, don't feed into the "OMG UPGRADE YOUR PC OR ELSE YOU CAN'T PLAY IT!!" bullshit. You don't need a $300 card and some $250 CPU to run the game on ultra.
Sound is amazing.
Glad they brought back proning.

and it's always funny sitting in the second floor of a building in a room, only for a tank to blow the wall out right behind you.

saucecode

Jul 30, 2011
That was amazing!
Oh my god, my whole week is set!

Bit annoyed at this "online-pass" shit, cause i would have let a friend borrow it, and it would have been in her best intrest to play multiplayer without having to purchase a code.

Other than that, great game.

saucecode

Jul 30, 2011
ghost whistler said:
This game is very unfriendly to new players. You start with next to no equipment, no decent scopes for the recon (and they have included that stupid COD sway mechanism ffs), and everything looks really washed out as if there's a permanent nuclear explosion happening. The maps aren't inspiring me at all. Too big and open for 24 players and so the vehicles don't really work: some random guy bombing around in a jet or a tank, no backup just crashes or gets blown up. Snipers everywhere (though I can't get the hang of using the crappy scopes you start with). And of course no teamwork. I also wish they'd ditch that dumb as rocks squad idea. If i want to talk to my team i ought to be able to.
I can understand what your saying...
but no teamwork?!

Wow. Ive had plenty of well-coordinated battles when playing defense with some randoms i get matched with. Whoever you're playing with much be real jerks. Kinda sad you're not getting the full experience.

Also, the no scopes on level 1 is damn annoying, but it doesnt take long to unlock the sexay holographic sight.

vermin_

May 16, 2011
I'm giving it a proper 9.5 out of 10.

This game has a singleplayer? Ow.

Also, no teamwork? On consoles, probs, yeah. Then again, I'm in a BG gaming community Platoon thingy, so no problem there.