Poll: How many legendaries is too much in a pokemon team?

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012
Much like DMJared stated in his Nuzlocke, legendaries are lame. I never have them in my team, waste for a slot of something more interesting and awesome.

Like Crobat. :D

Also the restriction of breeding also hurts the use of a legendary. I don't want a lvl70 in a team of 50s...

GalanDun

Jun 27, 2013
The whole team if you have them.
Although I prefer to play it all through with the starter.

Yosato

Apr 5, 2010
During the main game legendaries make the battles too easy. Me and my friend that I play it with have a system where we allow one 'greater' legendary (Mewtwo, Groudon, Giratina, Zekrom etc.) and one 'lesser' one (the trios, Latias/Latios, Swords of Justice etc). It's a really decent system - we figured if you limit it to just one legendary per team you end up only using the major hitters with the 680+ stat base and never even touch the more minor ones. So yeah, I voted 2.

elvor0

Sep 8, 2008
Mirrorknight said:
People using legendary annoys me. I used to play Colosseum online, and I'd get people that use Dialga and Giratina teams. Fortunately, I had Garchomp: Destroyer of Legends. 9/10 times he and my Absol would end such teams easily. The other time the person would ragequit. There's always a counter, even for legendary teams.
It's such a shame MegaGarchomp is so naff, minus speed but plus ATK and SPA? What insane bizzarro universe did that decision come from? I understand +ATK/-Speed, but who on earth wants special attack on garchomp? Still I wuv my Garchomp, had him since pearl and aint looked back since.

Doom972

Dec 25, 2008
One legendary per team is enough. It's not fun if everyone are using the same Pokemon.

LittleJoeRambler

Nov 3, 2011
elvor0 said:
Mirrorknight said:
People using legendary annoys me. I used to play Colosseum online, and I'd get people that use Dialga and Giratina teams. Fortunately, I had Garchomp: Destroyer of Legends. 9/10 times he and my Absol would end such teams easily. The other time the person would ragequit. There's always a counter, even for legendary teams.
It's such a shame MegaGarchomp is so naff, minus speed but plus ATK and SPA? What insane bizzarro universe did that decision come from? I understand +ATK/-Speed, but who on earth wants special attack on garchomp? Still I wuv my Garchomp, had him since pearl and aint looked back since.
One-off surprise Draco Meteor against a physical wall? I dunno, that's a puzzler.

In any case, Smogon's tier system is probably the best for deciding what is and isn't allowed for battles between friends. From both perspectives; it's not all that fun to get stomped, but neither is it rewarding to crush someone without challenge.

Zepherus14

Jan 24, 2012
LittleJoeRambler said:
elvor0 said:
Mirrorknight said:
One-off surprise Draco Meteor against a physical wall? I dunno, that's a puzzler.

In any case, Smogon's tier system is probably the best for deciding what is and isn't allowed for battles between friends. From both perspectives; it's not all that fun to get stomped, but neither is it rewarding to crush someone without challenge.
Smogon is going to have a hell of a time dealing with the new fairy type. It's almost like nintendo got into their folders, picked them up and looked them over. Then they glanced over at smogon. "That's a very nice tier system you've got there." before throwing it out a window.

Still can't believe jigglypuff can sit through a Outrage from a Garchomp and live completely unharmed.

drthmik

Jul 29, 2011
I never play multiplayer at all let alone professionally
so I say play with whatever pokemon you enjoy playing with
Box your starter and AR Cheat code yourself a full team of legendaries before the first gym for all I care.

Phantom Kat

Sep 26, 2012
I don't use legendaries any more but I did when I was younger and needed them to fill out my roster with high levels for the first elite 4, now I can normally get through the first elite 4 with 3 pokemon.

Competitively, I'd say sticking to OU would be more fun as you'd actually have some variety rather than just the OP legendaries.

Then again, the people who use mostly legendaries are the people who are (quite often) using raw power to make up for a lack of tactics so a good, well played, non-legendary team could destroy them.

LittleJoeRambler

Nov 3, 2011
Zepherus14 said:
LittleJoeRambler said:
elvor0 said:
Mirrorknight said:

Smogon is going to have a hell of a time dealing with the new fairy type. It's almost like nintendo got into their folders, picked them up and looked them over. Then they glanced over at smogon. "That's a very nice tier system you've got there." before throwing it out a window.

Still can't believe jigglypuff can sit through a Outrage from a Garchomp and live completely unharmed.
Maybe they thought Dragon was too powerful? I think one of the main reasons for the addition of Dark and Steel type in 2nd gen was how powerful Psychic was, so both of the new types resisted it (and Dark super effective against it). If Fairy is immune to Dragon maybe it's supposed to be a check to an overpowered type.

Problem with that theory is that Dragon is nowhere near as powerful as Psychic was back in the day. I don't know.

MeChaNiZ3D

Aug 30, 2011
Personally I don't use legendaries. I'm not a competitive player either, but I prefer Pokemon that evolve, preferably 3 times. It's just more fun.

Voulan

Jul 18, 2011
I really dislike having legendaries in my team, I think it just defeats the purpose of them. It gets to me when people who do competitive battling have an all-legendaries team.

I only battle with my favourites.

Razentsu

Jun 21, 2011
If you guys have not agreed on a rule set, I say you should go for a full Uber team. Go all out!

karloss01

Jul 5, 2009
I always felt that legendaries should be un-catchable, it just didn't feel legendary when you could one-shot with a master ball or beat it into submission with a teach of six pokemon. If Nintendo ever pull their finger out and actually publish a MMO of pokemon I hope they make the right decision and make the Legendaries Raid bosses and thus unattainable (just beating them gives you the pokedex entry).

Lucian The Lugia

Nov 4, 2011
The only legendaries I'd use would be my favorites (Lugia or Suicune) or trio legendaries (Cobalion, Entei, etc.). They're not banned from stuff like the Pokemon tower, and I don't think they're that powerful as others like Ho-Oh or Rayquaza.

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
I went with 0, because for one part, if you have a lengendary, then why not have more, you are already tipping the scales in your favor, so go nuts I guess.

But then there are also other factors, like how good legendaries actually are. For instance, based on Smogon's tier ranking, some legendaries are actually pretty bad, like to the extent that they aren't even in the upper tiers. For instance, Entei is in the Rarely-Used tier(The other tiers being Never-Used, Under-Used, Overused, and Uber if you aren't familiar). And then Regigigas is in the Never-Used tier, due to it's horribly prohibitive ability.
So with some cases like legendaries being shitty, or regular pokemon being horrendously OP, there can be some wiggle room in how many legendaries should be allowed on a team.

But in general, if you want to have a power limit, then you should take actual stats/abilities/utilities into consideration instead of just banning legendaries, because not all legendaries are created equal, and some regular pokemon are just as capable as OP legendaries.

EHKOS

Madness to my Methods
Feb 28, 2010
I'm torn between zero and one. I had a level 90 Mewtwo I would have fun sweeping the elite four with, but EVERYONE and their money-saving, pokedoll splurging mother can get the same legendary. I guess if it's a hard to get one, like Regigias, it would be OK, since I've never faced off against one before. But normally, I'm against it, and normally, I never have one on my team for more than two hours.