Poll: How many people have actually read The Lord of the Rings?

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
I've read at least one of the books in the series every year since fourth grade and I've read seven of the seventeen (last I checked) "History of Middle Earth" volumes.

Lekonua

Mar 25, 2009
I have (The Hobbit too), but it's been quite a while. I should read them all again some time in the near future.

Proverbial Jon

Not evil, just mildly malevolent
Nov 10, 2009
Aetera said:
I've re-read The Silmarillion seven times, and it's the least-read of Tolkien's works to me. I know a bit of Black Speech, Quenya, and Sindarin. Three of my pets are named after Valar.

So, uh... yeah. I've read it. Y'know, once or twice. xD

EDIT: Oh, I forgot. My copy of The Silmarillion? First edition. It makes me happy. <3
I bow down to you my friend! To read the Silmarilion is truly an achievement, but to read it seven times is something else!

I had 3 stabs at it before I finally finished reading it. Once I got into it I really enjoyed it, but it is incredibly lore heavy and you have to be seriously interested in Tolkien's Middle Earth to stand a chance.

OT: I have read: The Hobbit, The Lord of the Rings and The Silmarilion

Zay-el

Apr 4, 2011
Read the series and Silmarillon as well(planning to read The Hobbit soon). I really enjoyed them, especially as to how huge and detailed the world was. You can argue a lot about the writing style and/or the influence, but it's a fact that it's really well thought-out.

loc978

Sep 18, 2010
Yep. Started the series when I was ten years old (with The Hobbit) and finished Return of the King before I turned 12. Then I read 'em all once more in high school while I was waiting for the eighth Wheel of Time installment.
...never could slog my way through the Silmarillion, though. The bible was an easier read than that, and I'm not even religious.

Mr C

May 8, 2008
Read them, love the genre Tolkien created, but I don't find him to be such a great story teller. The novels lack pacing and with the execption of Boromir's death, there is never really a sense that the good guys could lose. I also disliked the fact that dragons were extinct and that the wizards barely do any magic, but that's just me. Regardless of my grumbling, I am happy I have read them.

With regards to the movies, they are some of the best movie adaptations I've seen. The first movie actually corrected many of the things I didn't enjoy in the book - Tom always felt like he should be in Alice in Wonderland and I found that section so tedious I almost gave up reading back in the day.

I like how other authors have built on what Tolkien started, Wheel of Time being a particular favourite. Though I have pals who find that series to be as slow as I find LOTR. All in all, if you haven't read LOTR, you should if you enjoy fantasy in any form.

WorldCritic

Apr 13, 2009
I did not and I don't pretend that I have. I did attempt to read The Hobbit a few years ago but got so bored that I put it away and never thought about it again.

JDKJ

Oct 23, 2010
DasUberCow said:
JDKJ said:
DasUberCow said:
Yeah, read it when i was 3. Was ok but Donaldson is way better.
You made a typographical error. Unless you are really trying to claim that you read a Tolkien book as a three-year old. Which, even if you were raised on the Hooked on Phonics and Your Baby Can Read tutorials, would still cause me to call "bullshit" on that claim.
Sorry, i was just following the trend. Obviously i was kidding, but i saw people earlier in the thread sincerely say they read it when they were 5 and 8.

But yeah. Hooked on Monkeyphonics was a big part of my childhood.
Gotcha. Beating the bullshitters at their own game. Cool. I've done that before, too.

Limie

Feb 18, 2010
Mimsofthedawg said:
Limie said:
I have and I urge anyone who likes the films to read the books. I found that understood the characters more after reading the books, not to mention Tom Bombadil!
Tom Bombadil is on one hand awesome and on another a total douche. He seems like some sort of god, or at least a "Spirit" left over from the creation of the world (or did he create the world?) that could have beat Sarumon's ass with a gay dance (literally, gay... like the old definition), yet he struck me as some sort of mystical version of Tinkle from Zelda... just coward in his little shack of gayness (this time, you pick the definition) and let a handful of midgets do his dirty work.

Douche.
That's what makes him a great character, that he doesn't seem to care too much, it's a nice little aside before the "go save the world" stuff starts to get too heavy. Bombadil's all about the fun of everyday things and he's one of my favourite characters for that reason (so I may be a little bit biased), but yeah he could have resolved the problem a hell of a lot faster if he decided to help out a little more, but then again why the hell did they just not fly to Mordor of the giant eagles? That would have resolved things a hell of a lot faster.

punkrocker27

Mar 24, 2009
Tried to get into it a while ago, even had the whole royal lineage lore, but when I started on the actual narrative, I found out that it was really just a book about walking. The Hobbit however was a fine read.

Leadfinger

Apr 21, 2010
I'm reading it now. I'm at the end of The Two Towers, though I've read the trilogy several times in the past. I like it how every time I read it, I'm a few years older and LoTR matures along with me.

AwesomeFerret

Apr 28, 2010
I have read it, and The Hobbit. I read the trilogy in one sitting, and I agree with the comments that the man has so little pacing that, no offence to his memory, its a wonder his heart was able to beat regularly enough for him to live for as long as he did. Regardless, my 50th anniversary edition is right there waiting to be read again as soon as I get the chance.

You do gotta love the trilogy :D

yndsu

Apr 1, 2011
I read it both in Estonian (my native tounge) and English.
Great books to read.

And i also read The Hobbit and The Silmarillion as well.

Declaro

Sep 1, 2010
I read the first book all the way through a few summers ago, and always meant to continue, but I haven't had the time the past two years for epic reading. Sounds like something fun to do for this summer though...