Poll: How many people have actually read The Lord of the Rings?

m72_ar

Oct 27, 2010
One of the most boring books I ever read.
Can't read 10 pages before hitting 2 pages of song lyrics.

Pretty sure there is the good bit. But I can't bear finishing it

Kikyoo

Apr 16, 2008
I did read the books and was quite underwhelmed by most of them. The third book ends halfway through, I was really pissed that there was so much more book left over, after everything had ended. But that's one thing I never really liked about Tolken was just how much his books rambled on. I know that's the reason a lot of people liked his books but I found it tedious. The 2nd book in LOTR is the one I liked the most, tho I admit I loved the bit in Moria, and all the bits with the dwarfs, but that's the thing in the last book Gimli did nothing, the support characters didn't get to do anything but stand around and look pretty, and that really kinda bugged me. In the first and second book the characters seemed to matter more, so I liked them a lot better. But for me The Hobbit is my favorite work of Tolkens. The major events felt major because Tolken wrote them well, and you really got a sense of wonder as Bilbo went to all these different places and took in the sights. It benefited a lot from only having one perspective, and leaving out some major things that happened, because Bilbo didn't see them. All the wondrous things in the Hobbit felt wondrous because you were seeing them through the eyes of Bilbo Baggins, rather than the narrated feel that the other 3 books had. And if things did feel narrated, there was a kind of feel that Bilbo was narrating. That gave it a much closer feel. All in All The Hobbit is my favorite book. But I just don't get into Lord of the Rings so much. I'll give you, I liked the first two books, but the third book I just hate.

Ulvai

Mar 9, 2010
spartan231490 said:
Ulvai said:
All of it. Also, Silmarillion
Hat's off to you my friend. I tried to read the Silmarillion, woke up 4 hours later on page 7 and decided that it just wasn't going to work out. I wasn't even tired when I read it.
Yeah. it's some heavy reading. Gets quite interesting when you get to Feanors rebellion.

PhunkyPhazon

Dec 23, 2009
It's been a while, but I recently started reading The Hobbit again. So I plan on reading LotR.

I do think Tolkien goes overboard with his descriptions, though. Did we really need to witness every step of Frodo and Sam's journey through Mordor, especially since nothing happens that's relevant to the plot? Or the Old Forest.

Oh god, the Old Forest.

Still, those are small pimples on an otherwise beautiful face.

Blue Musician

Mar 23, 2010
AndyFromMonday said:
I read the entire trilogy and currently trying to get my hands on The Hobbit and The Similarion.
Wasn't The Hobbit easier to get than LotR? Well, it is from what I have seen here in Melbourne yet.

OT: Yes I have, both The Hobbit and the entire LotR trilogy.

vazzaroth

May 19, 2009
I'm a huge D&D nerd and everything but... I just couldn't get into it, honestly. I got about 25% through the Fellowship from the school library and even that was punishment.

I can read Shakespeare or a tabletop reference book cover to cover, but I just couldn't get behind LOTR.

In a similar vein, I can read translations of Book of Five Rings or The Art of War, but when I tried to read Le Morte d'Arthur, it felt like reading the Bible. Begetting everywhere, and people just marching around and losing their horses and getting back on their horses... Dry stuff.

similar.squirrel

Mar 28, 2009
Read it once, when I was around eleven. Again, when I was seventeen. I don't like the trilogy too much. I do, however, read The Hobbit on an annual basis.

Bravo 21

May 11, 2010
I did, I have read the Hobbit, and the Trilogy, as well as Unfinished Tales, and I hope to get my hands of "the Simarillion" and "the Adventures of Tom Bombadil" at some point

NickCooley

Sep 19, 2009
Multiple times, as well as The Hobbit. They're good books but my god, Tolkien can be dry sometimes.

Drakane

May 8, 2009
I have read and enjoyed but I will give my slimmed down version of the 2nd book... we marched a fucking lot, and when we weren't marching the other guys were marching... then we marched some gd more.

Oh, I have also sat down w/ all 3 extended versions and watched them straight through. We also attempted to make a drinking game out of the movies and drink when ever the ring was mentioned/my preshious was said/ sam and frodo had a seemingly gay moment/ or something else.... It was brutal

Killermud

Oct 6, 2010
Got to page 180ish of the trilogy and gave up, I had enough of the previous 40 odd pages of tolkien describing a forest, everything before said forest was good though, but ive not had the time nor effort to retry it.

I've read the hobbit though, that was a good read.