Poll: How many people have actually read The Lord of the Rings?

Jamieson 90

Mar 29, 2010
Read the Hobbit and really enjoyed it but I had a lot of trouble with the fellowship of the ring and gave up. I actually have the entire triology sat on my book shelf. I have been meaning to read them at some point but just never got around to it.

Erja_Perttu

May 6, 2009
Read it many times. Maybe I'm just a patient reader, because whilst I'll admit they're not the best books in the world (as I believe CS Lewis said 'Not another fucking elf!') but I quite enjoyed it.

Fursnake

Jun 18, 2009
Where is the poll option for "I did, plus the Hobbit, plus the Silmarillion, plus the Lost Tales, plus the Children of Hurin plus...etc"? hehe

No, I'm not a Tolkien nerd, I just read a lot.

Srdjan

Mar 12, 2010
Three times, also i read Hobbit, Silmariolion, Unfinished Tales, Children of Hurin and Fall of Gondolin.

Fraught

Aug 2, 2008
I have not read the LotR books, though I have read The Hobbit (which was very, very enjoyable) and the Unfinished Tales, or whatever it's called.

mrdude2010

Aug 6, 2009
Limie said:
I have and I urge anyone who likes the films to read the books. I found that understood the characters more after reading the books, not to mention Tom Bombadil!
fuck yea tom bombadil

NeutralDrow

Mar 23, 2009
I've read it a couple of times on my own. My father actually read me the books as a bedtime story when I was a child.

I've only gotten through The Silmarillion once, though. And it took three attempts. Though really, once you get past the early stuff with the elves, up to Feanor, it gets easier.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
i've read all of them, begrudgingly may i add...

And by "read" i mean i got to the words "the ring was destroyed" noticed there was half a book left and put the book down

Having half the book being an epilogue is not good storytelling

Jake the Snake

Mar 25, 2009
I've read the Hobbit like 4 times, but I've never gotten around to reading LoTR. It's on my list of things to do this summer.

DasUberCow

May 26, 2009
JDKJ said:
Gotcha. Beating the bullshitters at their own game. Cool. I've done that before, too.
Do go on... I'm intrigued.

OT : I've read it through once before. If i remember correctly i was 13. Was heavy going. Might try and read through it again, but i'm loosing myself (intentionally) in the world of sci-fi in the past couple years and besides. Thomas Covenant series beats the shit out of any other fantasy novel. Yeah, i'm looking at you Wheel of Time.

Parugraph

Apr 2, 2010
I finished "The Hobbit" and read the first book but could not finish it since the such Ye olde english I could not stand it well it was written in the 40ies so I guess that makes sense.

Sandytimeman

Brain Freeze...yay!
Jan 14, 2011
thanks to my father I have read just about everything to do with middle earth. I read the Hobbit, and the Trilogy, I've also read those books published by JRR's son with all his notes and history of middle earth in it.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
i took it from a friend, it was this 4 inches book that had maps, illustrations and hard bounded in brown with just the "Tolkien" sign in its spine, it was in English, i loved it... but my friend took it back

so i looked for them in several stores, and found the collection (simarilion, the hobbit, lord of the rings) in Spanish, bought it and read the simarilion and the hobbit, but when i tried to read again the "lord of the rings" i hated the translation... still, loved the other two books.

Fluffis

Dec 14, 2010
Read "LotR" 5,5 times (right in the middle now). "The Hobbit", god knows how many times... "Silmarillion" twice, and "Unfinished Tales" once.

Yeah... I'm a complete nerd.