Poll: How would you punish a rapist?

lucky_sharm

Aug 27, 2009
I see a lot of conflicting views with regards to how rapists should be punished. There's one camp that's all for the "eye for an eye" approach, there's the other camp that follows the "no we should not commit barbarism ourselves or else we'll be no better than they are" philosophy, and there's the camp that asserts that prison should be a place to rehabilitate criminals to make them fit to re-enter society.

So, what camp would you fall under and why?

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
The first one, imprisonment and rehabilitation. To me, it's the only appropriate method in a civilised country. It also fits within my own personal morals and beliefs. Revenge and justice make great stories in fiction, but I despise them in reality.

Edit: Would be nice if you'd share your own opinion as well.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Give them a sex change operation and don't let them change back until they've learned their lesson. And yes, I got that off an episode of Johnny Bravo. But it's no less valid.

Dirge Eterna

Apr 13, 2013
I believe that Rape and molestation of children should be capital offense. Raping or molesting someone especially a child completely destroys their life and takes away so much that the offender should give up their life as well. This wouldn't count for statutory rape where one of the people is 18 and the other 17 kind of thing. But for date rape and any type of non consensual type rape or where the victim is either too young or not in a coherent state of mind be it mental retardation, drugs or threat of violence. Anyone that could do that to another person has shown that they do not belong in society and should be removed from it. Putting people in jail for long terms only makes them a better criminal and institutionalizes them to the point where the vast majority can not interact with society once they are released and will end up committing more crimes.

I do have to admit that I was molested when I was 8 by a 15 year old guy at my baby sitters. He would beat the crap out of me until I gave in and gave him oral sex. His mother never believed me and was like boys will be boys and I got the injuries and black eyes and such from rough play. My family didn't believe me either at first as I grew up in a conservative bible thumping area of the south where no one even admitted there was such a thing as homosexuality. It effected me very deeply and led me several times to come very close to suicide. That was almost 30 years ago and I still have flashbacks at times when I encounter specific trigger objects or situations. So being a victim I tend to have a much harsher outlook on rape and molestation than some would. And the boy was never charged or anything and he ended up raping and killing a guy later on when he was in his early 20's. The reason why he killed him was because he (the victim) was gay.

Rawberry101

Jan 14, 2012
Anyone who answers that it should be a capital offense isn't quite thinking this through. Say you just raped somebody, and if you're caught you get a death sentence, what do you do????? I mean come on, the number one and likely only witness is right there and in maybe the most vulnerable position in their lives.....

See what I'm getting at? If rape was a capital punishment then rapists would actually have incentive to kill their victim to get off.

Dirty Hipsters

This is how we praise the sun!
Legacy
Feb 7, 2011
Country
'Merica
So, I'm just going to throw this out here and we'll see how people react:

How about castration?

Thoughts?

madwarper

Mar 17, 2011
Dirty Hipsters said:

How about castration?

Thoughts?
That's assuming the drive to rape is because of sexual gratification, rather than the domination of another.

If it's the later, which seems to be the more likely reason, then the rapist can use any one of millions of phallic shaped items to replace their own junk and continue to rape after the castration.

BathorysGraveland2

Feb 9, 2013
Dirty Hipsters said:

How about castration?

Thoughts?
I think it's a disgusting act that again, should have no place in a civilised country. However, even if it were, it wouldn't be all that effective. As far as I'm aware, a great percentage of rapes are committed by people who enjoy the control and domination over the victim, rather than to simply get off. Take away their ability to sexually assault, and they'll probably just use weapons or beat them instead. Or use another object for penetration. Nah, rehabilitation (or a long prison sentence if they can't/won't be rehabilitated) is much preferable.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Dirty Hipsters said:

How about castration?

Thoughts?
Depends, do you mean chemical or physical?

Chemical castration can be useful for treating offenders with paraphilic disorders who are genuinely serious about changing their lives, however it won't help those who are simply sadistic and will instead likely find another outlet for their sadism. It's reversible if the offender stops taking treatment but causes serious side-effects long-term as it's basically a hormone treatment.

Physical castration on the other hand, I don't think it's been ever used in any Western societies so there's no data on it but again I imagine assuming it wasn't voluntary a sadistic offender probably switch to other methods of sadism and I imagine they'd be very angry at their loss. Unlike chemical, clearly physical castration is permanent and permanently mutilating someone for a crime that sadly is often a case of "he says, she says" doesn't sit well with me.

Dirge Eterna

Apr 13, 2013
Rawberry101 said:
Anyone who answers that it should be a capital offense isn't quite thinking this through. Say you just raped somebody, and if you're caught you get a death sentence, what do you do????? I mean come on, the number one and likely only witness is right there and in maybe the most vulnerable position in their lives.....

See what I'm getting at? If rape was a capital punishment then rapists would actually have incentive to kill their victim to get off.
You are making the assumption that they care, think they will get caught or are coherent enough mentally to think about the consequences of their action afterwards when they were not able to do it before they committed the crime. A lot of rapes are not reported as it is, maybe with harsher punishment the victims will feel like they are actually accomplishing something by getting this monster off the streets for good. They already know that getting convicted for rape is a prison term yet that doesn't stop them. I don't think it would prevent all rape but it will make some of them think twice and at the very least prevent that person from doing it anymore.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
Dirge Eterna said:
You are making the assumption that they care, think they will get caught or are coherent enough mentally to think about the consequences of their action afterwards when they were not able to do it before they committed the crime. A lot of rapes are not reported as it is, maybe with harsher punishment the victims will feel like they are actually accomplishing something by getting this monster off the streets for good. They already know that getting convicted for rape is a prison term yet that doesn't stop them. I don't think it would prevent all rape but it will make some of them think twice and at the very least prevent that person from doing it anymore.
Perhaps it might embolden some victims, but it might have the opposite effect on others. Imagine you're little Suzie, who's being molested by her Dad and wishes he would stop but still loves him anyway. Would you think that knowing he would die if she reported him would make her more likely to report the abuse, or less? It would very likely increase families trying to hide abuse or rape and erroneously try to deal with it themselves rather than report a loved one to the authorities, as few people want to see a family member die, even if they are a scumbag.

Darken12

Apr 16, 2011
lucky_sharm said:
So, what camp would you fall under and why?
This one:

lucky_sharm said:
"no we should not commit barbarism ourselves or else we'll be no better than they are"
Society is built upon rational ethics. Torture and rape are always unnecessary. Always. Murder is only acceptable when we're dealing with a creature that is so inhuman and so irredeemable that their very existence is a blight upon the Earth. And even then, we can always lock them up forever, so murder becomes, in almost all cases, wholly unnecessary.

We do what is necessary and just, depending on the crime, intent, context, circumstances. Each case is different, and each deserves careful consideration and a careful weighing of facts and evidence before pronouncing sentence (and the sentence must be, as always, necessary and just).

Ideally, prison ought to rehabilitate (and there are some criminals that can be rehabilitated), but I'll settle for keeping dangerous people away from everyone else.

Jayemsal

Dec 28, 2012
Shadowstar38 said:
Give them a sex change operation and don't let them change back until they've learned their lesson. And yes, I got that off an episode of Johnny Bravo. But it's no less valid.
No. With the transgender community clamboring to even be able to afford the surgery they need, those surgeries could be given to people who genuinely need them, instead of being wasted on those who just need rehabilitation.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
Jayemsal said:
Shadowstar38 said:
No. With the transgender community clamboring to even be able to afford the surgery they need, those surgeries could be given to people who genuinely need them, instead of being wasted on those who just need rehabilitation.
Can't tell if you're actually offended right now...

The OP put torture as an option so I thought we were suppose to throw out crazy shit until something sticks.

SlaveNumber23

A WordlessThing, a ThinglessWord
Aug 9, 2011
It might be fitting to put a Candiru[footnote]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Candiru [Fun fun times][/footnote] in their urethra but unfortunately that's not exactly humane so I dunno just lock them up I suppose. Imprison them with the intent of punishment rather than rehabilitation, my opinion is that if you've raped someone then you can rot for the rest of your life.

BiscuitTrouser

Elite Member
May 19, 2008
Rawberry101 said:

Pretty much this. Thankfully a lot of people who make laws understand this. If we subject rapists to anything cruel or mallicious or death they would do ANYTHING to avoid that fate. Like kill their victim without a second thought. If they know its bad now, but would be WORSE if they kill their victim, they have motivation to leave their victim alive. So lets say we make rape/murder together a capitol punishment and JUST rape a life sentence. Now rapists wont have absolutely zero reasons not to murder their victims.

lucky_sharm

Aug 27, 2009
Shadowstar38 said:
Jayemsal said:
Shadowstar38 said:
Can't tell if you're actually offended right now...

The OP put torture as an option so I thought we were suppose to throw out crazy shit until something sticks.
I see a lot of comments like "tear his dick off" or "kill em slowly" when it comes to rape-related news articles. I'm wondering how many people feel that way.

Shadowstar38

Jul 20, 2011
lucky_sharm said:
I see a lot of comments like "tear his dick off" or "kill em slowly" when it comes to rape-related news articles. I'm wondering how many people feel that way.
Most of the people that say that are sickened by the act of rape more than they actually want someone harm. Unless they can they can look at an actual torture video and not get squeamish I wouldnt take their statements seriously.