Poll: How would you punish a rapist?

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Violence is an effective deterrent.
Except it isn't.

Seriously, jesus fuck this thread is full of people who don't even understand some of the most basic stuff that gets taught about rapists, why are they acting like they know how to solve the problem?

AsurasEyes

Sep 12, 2012
I don't care that I'm no better than he is. He still deserves to be thrown into the brazen bull for what he did.

Adeptus Aspartem

Jul 25, 2011
Adeptus Aspartem said:
knight steel said:
Oh thats good I'm glad ^_^
[sub] Perhaps a better choice of words next time[sub]we really need a gender neutral term[/sub] just a suggestion[/sub]
Question:Would your punishment still apply to female rapist's
Male or female, if you raped and traumatized another human being, you deserve the worst humanity can offer.
Which makes the presecuter as bad, who has then to be presecuted by someone, who has then to be presecuted...

Basing your justice system on revenge is immoral. Also current justice systems are not able to do it correctly. If only 1 innocent guy/girl gets tortured/neutered/murdered by the state it's all for naught.
Because then you just made someone who works for the state murder/mutilate an innocent person.

That can not be the answer.
A system controlled by the government needs to ensure it never hurts an innocent person. And with how corrupt humans can be, I can see a system for hurting those who deserve it most going wrong. I speak of a world where people don't make those mistakes, or give up the pursuit of justice for personal gain. It is what I would like to see, but what I advocate could not and should not be implemented in our current judicial system. It would require an entire overhaul for it to be just and effective.
Completly agree with you. In a totally perfect juristication, i would also not hesitate to remove certain subjects from our society.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
Well, of it's 100% clear an individual responsible really is a rapist, then I'm all for ironic punishment. Maybe castration?

AlexWinter

Jun 24, 2009
By raping them. Personally.

I think rape might be the one crime where after someone has it done to them they'll never do it again.

I don't condone the an eye for an eye mentality but... raping a rapist just seems like the right way to go here followed by incarceration and rehabilitation.

I'm probably forgetting/overlooking something here, feel free to tell me why I'm wrong.

the December King

Legacy
Mar 3, 2010
Daystar Clarion said:
the December King said:
I voted for death.

If the rapist is convicted beyond a shadow of doubt.
It's happened before, and that person was later found to be innocent.

There is no such thing as 'beyond a shadow of doubt' when it comes to capital punishment.
And those instances are truly horrible! But, since this is more about what to do with rapists, instead of how to convict rapists, I stand by my descision.

EDIT: opinion, not descision. I'm not the governor, or anything!

Longstreet

Jun 16, 2012
Depends, someone who is 18+ who rapes someone else that is also 18+? Castration with a rusty potato peeler comes to mind.

Lets say someone who is 30 and rapes someone who is 11? Put him the most hardcore jail you got in your country (or hell, dump him in America if you don't) and 'accidently' misplace his file that might make his way to the rest of the population.

Ashannon Blackthorn

Sep 5, 2011
I'd like ot see the exact crime committed against them. You rape someone with a broomstick? Well you get raped with a broomstick.

I'd do that for every crime. (all the ones like fraud and theft and the like would be financial restitution of the sum lost by the victim)

Canadamus Prime

Robot in Disguise
Jun 17, 2009
I don't believe in rehabilitation so I choose the third option. Specifically I'd have their balls chopped off with a rusty pizza cutter and force fed to them on a skillet.
thaluikhain said:
IMHO, while it's all very well to talk of harsher punishments, it's a greater conviction rate that's needed most.
Although that's true too. Fuck this blame the victim crap.

MrHide-Patten

Jun 10, 2009
Given a vagina. Remove the penis. Turn em into a real Ladyboy. Women rapists... don't exist. They're just asertive sexual partners you didn't know you wanted.

Disclaimer: Obvious women rapists do exist and do cause serious psychological harm to the boys they do rape. Rape.

DugMachine

Apr 5, 2010
I believe it should be a life long sentence. I don't really 'get' rehabilitation. Lock em up for years, they seem 'fine' and then let them out and good chance they'll rape again.

Not to say nobody has never been rehabilitated but I just don't get how we can tell.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
If there was other people watching then imprisonment and rehabilitation.

If we are outside society god help them.

Much like any other topic.

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
After enough offenses or after blatantly guilty offenses (caught in the act, caught on tape, etc.), I'd even be open to chemical castration. If they're going to use it as a weapon, the weapon needs to be taken away, especially in the case of doing this to children. I am not in favor of a sex change operation unless the individual requests it as an alternative.

I certainly believe in harsher punishments for rape but I've also seen false accusations of rape that have ruined good (or at least, non-rapist) men's lives. My wife went to school with one girl who claimed to have been raped on multiple occasions by almost every guy in her life. One time, she even claimed it had happened when she had been unaware that my wife could actually see her during the whole conversation (guess what? no rape happened). Our current legal system doesn't allow for a degree of certainty to be taken into account. The "I think they're guilty" does sometimes result in a guilty verdict in real life even if the "beyond a reasonable doubt" hasn't been met. A lot of rape cases end up having to be decided based on the word of the individuals. So some care does need to go into deciding when the harsher sentences should be employeed with the concept that the person needs to have the opportunity to appeal due to the flaws and the occasional lynch-mob mentality of our legal system.

In any event, the goal should be to protect society and our current methods are not doing that. Repeat offenders are legion, it seems.

Vareoth

Mar 14, 2012
hazabaza1 said:
Violence is an effective deterrent.
Except it isn't.

Seriously, jesus fuck this thread is full of people who don't even understand some of the most basic stuff that gets taught about rapists, why are they acting like they know how to solve the problem?
On the internet, everyone is an expert.

I'm often guilty of this fact myself.

boradam

Jan 14, 2010
Capital punishment -- they had their whole life to learn rape is intolerable and unacceptable, putting them in prison for life where they're treated well and nicely, or attempting to rehabilitate them and then putting them back out into the world with parole or not is just having us treating the rapist far better than he deserves rather than dealing with the issue decisively and immediately.

Grach

Aug 31, 2012
I know many people would punish a rapist by chopping his dick into some kind of sausage-based food, but rehabilition is probably the best way. If he can't be rehabilitated then it's the big house for him, for fucking ever.

Legion

Were it so easy
Oct 2, 2008
AlexWinter said:
By raping them. Personally.

I think rape might be the one crime where after someone has it done to them they'll never do it again.

I don't condone the an eye for an eye mentality but... raping a rapist just seems like the right way to go here followed by incarceration and rehabilitation.

I'm probably forgetting/overlooking something here, feel free to tell me why I'm wrong.
The most obvious one would be that a lot of people who commit crimes have had those crimes committed against them in the past. In many cases people "cope" with their trauma by doing it to another, to regain control over their life. Obviously not all rapists fit that category, but it is very common to see cycles in these kinds of things.

Most people who do no commit crimes against others have been taught to respect other people. Most who do have not. You don't often see people who are brought up in a loving, caring and secure environment turn out to be criminals. Of course it happens, but statistically they are in the minority by a long shot.

People who are abused or suffer and don't get the proper help find their own ways to deal with it, and in many cases they turn into the same kind of person they have suffered at the hands of.

DugMachine said:
I believe it should be a life long sentence. I don't really 'get' rehabilitation. Lock em up for years, they seem 'fine' and then let them out and good chance they'll rape again.

Not to say nobody has never been rehabilitated but I just don't get how we can tell.
It doesn't work because of the way prisons work. People fight to survive in prisons and that doesn't often result in people being able to adjust back in the "real world". It's like how military personnel often struggle when returning from tour. When you spend most of your day watching over your shoulder, or fighting for your life, it's not easy to readjust.

The prisons systems across the world would need a complete overhaul to be effective in regards to rehabilitation.

Of course the problem with life imprisonment is that people outside prison are the ones keeping them there with their taxes. Some prisoners live more comfortably than non-criminals who work full-time. They don't have the same freedom, but they still have a higher quality of living.

conmag9

Aug 4, 2008
I would like to point out the inclusion of the "3 meals, free healthcare" thing into the imprisonment/rehabilitation section looks an awful lot like an attempt to "poison the well", I think the phrase is. It's best to leave stuff like that out where possible.

Anyway, my gut turns instantly to thoughts of horrible, horrible revenge, but that doesn't really make anything better. The potential for false positives makes the justice system into a horrible mockery of itself (ignoring its current flaws, for the moment). That's also one of the reasons I don't agree with the idea of the death penalty. So I'll go with imprisonment/rehabilitation. If it's possible to rehabilitate...well, that'll be extremely difficult and require taking the high road to a huge degree, but I still can't avoid thinking it's somehow the right thing to do. And if it's patently obvious the guilty party can't be rehabilitated, life imprisonment. I'm against castration in most cases, mostly because of potential false positives.

Torture is right out. Monstrous behavior cannot be followed by monstrous behavior and called justice. It does more damage to the people cheering it on, no matter how good it might feel at the time.