Poll: how you like the new escapist layout

Darren716

Jul 7, 2011
It's better for me on my iPod because now I don't have to wait for all the video to be condensed into their rotaor to see the popilar forum posts. Also I like how the popular threads are right in the middle when I open the page.

MintberryCrunch

Aug 20, 2011
kingthrall said:
Anyway looks like I going to have to put up with this crap interface going through 3 pages of useless web material to look for Yatzee for example. Oh and I dont care if you disagree with me just want to see some opinions on it.
Is that for his Extra Punctuation stuff? Just go into 'Columns' and they're all archived there. For ZP just click on the Videos button as it is.

Anyway, I personally quite like it. Not a massive change really but once people are used to it they'll be fine with it until the next change comes along, then it'll be 'Petition for the old layout back!' and all the other stuff that always comes with renovations and updates to a site.

The Funslinger

Corporate Splooge
Sep 12, 2010
putowtin said:
My only issue is the wallpaper, I'm using Redlin5's siggy wallpaper, but it stops half way down the page. I know some of us tried to have our names on there but missed the cut off, it'd be cool if we could be added now!
Can you see me on there? :p

OT: I don't mind it. I'd actually say it's streamlined my browsing of the site somewhat. I suspect people saying it's slowed them down are looking purely at the fact they have to get their bearings of a new layout. Once you do that, I find it much more user friendly.

Akytalusia

Nov 11, 2010
there are two points that annoy me.
1. the page is too big for my screen, so i have to zoom out to 90% to see everything.
2. i prefer the old content bar that had everything included. the new bar makes me visit an extra page for each subsection. tsk.
other than those, it looks fine.

AnarchistFish

Jul 25, 2011
I remember that the last time the layout was changed, I hated it at first. Everything seemed all over the place and square, but I got used to it.

I actually really like this one. It's still a bit square with all the sharp edges around the different features, but everything feels neater and the toolbar is cool.

Why have they changed it so soon though?

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
I think I preferred the previous layout, the layout is wider then my screen, it has a pointless black bar over there-> because they didn't match the size of the header to everything else, the front page looks like it has no organization, and I miss the drop down menu that could get me to almost any page on the site but at least the forums are less of a strain to look at. I'm hoping they at least fix the first two because both just seem like very amateur mistakes to make for a web designer.

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
This awful layout causes Internet Explorer to chug to a halt. "But Mysnomer, only simpletons use IE," you say? No, simpletons and people who have NoScript, because despite allowing everything, your videos still wouldn't work. So I just started watching them in IE. Also, why the larger pictures, but less of an article preview? I didn't need to see Dr. Mark's banner taking up half my screen, while telling me nothing about the article but it's title. So, yeah, layout sucks, less is more, blah blah blah, insert stuff that will be dismissed as nostalgia/unwillingness to change.

Oh, and that Facebook change flowchart is meaningless. Of course you forget what the old one looked like, you no longer need that data, so your brain basically throws it away, b/c it's not useful. Now, that's not to say whether certain improvements have been bad or good, but rather, that the fact you can't remember them has no bearing on that. In fact, the less memorable a layout is, the better. You shouldn't be thinking about a layout while you're using it, it should just be a seamless interaction between you and the webpage.

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
I don't hate it at all. In fact, I sort of like it... except for the stupid giant auto scroll image menu that takes up the entire screen when the site loads. That sort of thing is terribly lazy and annoying to begin with, but to have it literally take up the entire screen so that you have to scroll down to find what you're looking for just makes it worse.

JochemHippie

Trippin' balls man.
Jan 9, 2012
Kross said:
Squilookle said:
Anyone know if there's still a 'search forums' button anywhere on the default layout?
http://gyazo.com/81a014b1f19023f46d6ffbac395befde

For people saying it takes longer to navigate to something, can you be more specific? We've streamlined various things and removed some redundancy, but certainly don't want to make it more difficult to find content.
Something I've heard a lot of people about and agree with myself, is that the pop-up bars, with lack of a better word don't show what the items in it are.

It was very easy to navigate because we didn't have to leave the page to see the most recent newsposts and videos. Now we do.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Squilookle said:
Anyone know if there's still a 'search forums' button anywhere on the default layout?
Very bottom. Beside the Escapist logo.

OT: I love it. Everything is easy to find now, and it properly tracks the latest content.

Tinygiant

Feb 16, 2011
I don't hate it, but I'm not fond. It's harder to find what I'm looking for - it's probably hidden away behind another few layers of menus. We'll get used to it.

But for now, not a fan.

Callate

Dec 5, 2008
It's okay. I prefer layouts that put everything down in front of me and make it easy to spot the newest additions to how the last couple of changes, which mostly seem to be about drawing attention with scrolling or crossfades to select "highlighted" offerings.

But it's a little easier to get to one's own messages and settings in this layout, which I approve of.

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
Kross said:
For people saying it takes longer to navigate to something, can you be more specific? We've streamlined various things and removed some redundancy, but certainly don't want to make it more difficult to find content.
Removing the dropdown video quick links from the top was a pain.

OT: It's pretty, but it takes an age to load if my connection's running slow. Also, where's the quick login box on the homepage gone?

bobmus

Full Frontal Nerdity
May 25, 2010
putowtin said:
My only issue is the wallpaper, I'm using Redlin5's siggy wallpaper, but it stops half way down the page. I know some of us tried to have our names on there but missed the cut off, it'd be cool if we could be added now!
D'oh, really?
I told Nasrin about this when it first came out, and suggested they make it a static background that fixed in at the correct resolution. It's kinda ugly this way imo.

Lizardon

Robot in Disguise
Mar 22, 2010
Tipsy Giant said:
Getting to the new videos is trickier than necessary = Bad layout!
The new videos are in the centre right under the Popular Forum Posts box. How is that harder to get to? And under that is the video schedule, clicking any of the shows icons will take you to their latest episode.

kingthrall said:
I detest it, its way too damned white
You can change the background of the site in your profile under Browsing Options if you want something darker.

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
>:I I'm back to report my distaste with roll-over menu that changes the banner. Can you make it so the change is delayed? What I mean is you would have to hover for a second or two (or just change it to a click) to get the menu to switch over to that category. It shouldn't be instantaneous, I hate instantaneous response roll-over menus, because if you so much as bump them with the cursor, they change. And this can range from mild annoyance (the Escapist layout) to interminable obscuring of the web page (the Tiger Direct online store). So, in summation, it would be nice if a click trigger or delay was put on the roll-over aspect of the main menu.

DSK-

May 13, 2010
And just when I was getting used to the older-newer version the change it around again :`(

mad825

Mar 28, 2010
I still cannot view the (whole)website Windowed. Granted, I may have a low res resolution but still.