Poll: I don't like Firefly....

Alucard788

May 1, 2011
Frozen Donkey Wheel2 said:
Great, congratulations for having an opinion.

Seriously, why are so many Escapists so goddamn insecure that they have to come racing to the internet for approval every time they have an independent thought? Sorry if that's mean, but we have WAY too many damn topics like this.
I think your missing the point here.

I'm not insecure about anything, I'm just presenting an opinion, and seeing what people think about it. Sparking debate or conversation is the entire point of a message board isn't it? If we all didn't care than why bother posting anything.

No really...This is an opinion poll and opinion piece...purely out of curiosity.

I'm a little worried about how many folks kinda don't get that. o_O

LuckyClover95

Jun 7, 2010
Corporal Yakob said:
LuckyClover95 said:
Corporal Yakob said:
What the hell is Firefly? No seriously, what is it? I've heard loads of people praise it but never been bothered to look it up.
Same! I have absolutely no idea what it is.
Imma look it up
Let me know what it is!

I think it has something to do with space and bounty hunters or something.
Yeah, some humans have moved onto a new part of space or something.
Wikipedia quotes Joss Whedon saying "nine people looking into the blackness of space and seeing nine different things" which I think is nice.

dfphetteplace

Nov 29, 2009
I have only seen the first few episodes, but I liked it so far. If you don't like it, though, that is cool. We don't all have to like the same thing.

Dfskelleton

Apr 6, 2010
It's on Netflix, and I may watch it eventually, but who gives a shit if you don't like it? If you don't like it, then you obviously didn't enjoy it. Just because you have a different oppinion doesn't mean that you're some type of douchebag loser. I enjoyed Duke Nukem Forever, and basically everyone hates it. I like it, and if anyone ever told me that I was an idiot for liking it, I'd most likely explain what I enjoyed (just as you explained what you didn't enjoy), or if the person is kind of an asshole about, say "Hail to the king, baby" and walk off, just to piss them off.
It's funny, actually. People have this Highlander-esque mentality when it comes to their oppinions in the sense that "THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!". I enjoyed Highlander, but I never quite understood why there could be only one. That's the way I feel about oppinions as well, but that also happens to be an oppinion.

funguy2121

Oct 20, 2009
Alucard788 said:
I'm a huge fan of Firefly. I've been a Joss Whedon fan since Buffy (though I despise Angel), and though I found the premise ridiculous and stupid (a space western? Really?) when I first heard about it, when I actually got to see it it immediately became my favorite in the Whedon canon (anyone I catch on here using the term "Whedonverse" in context is off my Christmas list! I'm watching you!). < For the humor-impaired, this was exactly that.

So I just wanted to preface the following.

Firefly is by no means a flawless show, and Joss Whedon is by no means a flawless writer/creator. Nathan Fillion and the rest of the cast (especially the yummy Kaylee) are capable and likable actors, but they aren't without their weaknesses as well. As with any other phenomenon that has stuck out for one reason or another, its fans are ravenous. Hell, it was brought back for a movie a couple of years after cancellation, when they didn't even make it through one full season. Here, I think it's because good sci-fi in a space setting, particularly with contemporary characters with a 20th/21st century sensibility, is so rare. That being said, you should almost never ever pay any heed to what fanboys tell you. Fanboys were super-defensive of The Phantom Menace for about the first year.

wolf92

Aug 13, 2008
I liked it. Not to a fanatical point. I found the characters intriguing. Plus, I liked Wash

Feylynn

Feb 16, 2010
You're a monster!
Ok sorry kidding.

I love everything Joss does, just has a style that really works for me.
I like Dollhouse more than Firefly just because it had the smoother ending with a season 2 to flesh it out.

Can I ask why you didn't like it?
Characters? Pacing? Style?
If it was just because the bar was set to high I'd recommend seeing more of the character progression because 3 episodes shows off very little of the shows strength.
If you just can't get into it though that's fair, sorry you didn't enjoy it as much as we did.

And in that event I'm curious what shows you'd consider 'Your Firefly'.
The absolutely perfect everything that thrills you at the mention of its name, bonus points if it's gone now and you want more.

Alucard788

May 1, 2011
I honestly meant this as an amusing aside to an observation about geek culture, and worship of a show I didn't like.

No really...that was the point...

This is getting a bit disturbing guys. It really worries me, that more than half of you are not really understanding what I'm getting at with my post. How I wrote my original post was not 100% literal. I was making an observation based on the overwhelming amount of love the show gets.

Do I really have to explain this over and over?

I had another amusing poll for the games section lined up...but I'll wait so that I can word it in a way that will not be so open to a massive misinterpretation.

Sorry for all the umm... confusion guys...

Great apologies to anyone who did understand me and posted with something insightful and interesting...really thank you guys it has been a fun read so far.

DirtyMagic

Mar 18, 2011
I shall not go as far to call you a freak, because everyone has their own opinion and shit like that. :p

But I freakin' LOVE that show! The plots, the characters, the wittiness.
My gawd, I need more than one damn series!

Also, best blooper reel you'll ever see.

CrazyGirl17

I am a banana!
Sep 11, 2009
I like it personally, but hey, that's just my opinion.

EDIT: Though to me, the best show that was ended too soon... well, I have more than one.

Elsarild

Oct 26, 2009
I feel misplaced, I've heard very little of the show, and I never saw even a single episode.

Blame it on my attitude to generel TV.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
3AM said:
I also loved Dollhouse. That took some time for me, I couldn't stop thinking "oh, it's Eliza Dushku in cute outfits" then it seemed the story really took off and I was thinking a Neo-like "whoa".
Even though I'm skeptical that I'd watch it again I did enjoy the build up during the first seasons, once it reached its stride. The second season . . . it felt like the first few episodes were faffing about despite the second lease on life, and then the last half of the season was a rush job to fit three or four seasons worth of overarching story into half a dozen episodes. If it had managed several seasons and a slow build up I think it could have been excellent, as it is I think the majority of episodes muddle the interesting intrigue and Alpha story line.

You're right that a lot of firefly doesn't make sense. Supposedly these homesteaders are put down with very little but the cultural shift is hard to believe. If that's catching in your craw I could definitely see why Firefly didn't appeal to you.

Firefly also never explains why all of these places have Earth-like gravity. When it started I thought were were looking at multiple solar systems, but later it seemed there was just one . . . so either there are a ton of Earth-sized terrestrial planets in or near the Goldilocks Zone or somehow all of these little moons can have extra gravity terraformed into them. :)

Bioluminescence said:
To each their own. I personally can't stand Dr. Who.
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but I still think you're a monster ;)

Actually I'd say Doctor Who is a very acquired taste. It's quite silly and the new series often leans on the nostalgia factor of the classic series, and if you never watched the classic episodes you can't be nostalgic for them.

Kenjitsuka

Sep 10, 2009
Never got time to watch it, was going to but then I read that they already cancelled it after a few eps so I figured it wasn't good.

Ice Car

Jan 30, 2011
Wazzuh? Firefly? What's that? All I know of it is that Borderlands referenced it with Jaynistown and Jaynis Cobb, but that's it.