Poll: I don't like Firefly....

Mr. 47

May 25, 2011
Is there anywhere I can watch this online? Only heard of the show recently, never saw it.

Jamboxdotcom

Nov 3, 2010
Citizen Snips said:
Well Joss Whedon has a very polarizing effect on people, and that's because he doesn't cater to anyone when he creates his stories. I love Firefly, but couldn't stand Buffy or Angel.

I know it's been drummed enough around here, so let me kick that dead horse one more time.

It's an opinion! They can be different!
Exactly this.

Also, to the OP, when you say you hated "the main guy" were you referring to Mal Reynolds, or to the irritating doctor guy? 'Cause while the main plotline of the show revolves around nerdboy and his crazy sister, they're not the main characters. And i don't blame anyone for hating River or her doctor brother, 'cause they pissed me off bigtime.

Milo Windby

Feb 12, 2010
William MacKay said:
some people like stuff, others dont
Quoted for truth.

People have a large array of tastes and well... I guess you can say we are all like snowflakes. Everyone is different.

Corporal Yakob

Nov 28, 2009
LuckyClover95 said:
Corporal Yakob said:
What the hell is Firefly? No seriously, what is it? I've heard loads of people praise it but never been bothered to look it up.
Same! I have absolutely no idea what it is.
Imma look it up
Let me know what it is!

I think it has something to do with space and bounty hunters or something.

CplDustov

May 7, 2009
Haha I voted you freak but only as joke. You don't like it.. then you don't like it. I'm sure you love stuff I can't be bothered with.

rockyoumonkeys

Aug 31, 2010
I loved it to death when I saw it, and I watched the entire series/movie a few times, but I've deliberately avoided watching it for the past few years because I have a feeling it's something I'll start to get sick of pretty soon.

Gamer_152

Mar 3, 2011
I liked Firefly but both you and me know that you're not some alien freak for having a differing opinion.

3AM

Oct 21, 2010
Hungry Donner said:
Citizen Snips said:
Well Joss Whedon has a very polarizing effect on people, and that's because he doesn't cater to anyone when he creates his stories. I love Firefly, but couldn't stand Buffy or Angel.
Same here. I really tried to like Dollhouse, it did have some great moments, but I wasn't terribly disappointed when it died.

I tried to go back to the beginning to watch it again and found I couldn't, whereas with Firefly I've watched the whole thing several times.
I'm the opposite. I loved Buffy and came to love Angel after I'd been through Buffy and figured everyone out except for the stupid son sub-plot. I also loved Dollhouse. That took some time for me, I couldn't stop thinking "oh, it's Eliza Dushku in cute outfits" then it seemed the story really took off and I was thinking a Neo-like "whoa".

But Firefly never got me. I recently re-watched it and Serenity. Serenity was ok but Firefly was kinda meh. I can take the rebuilding of planets and horses and farmsteads, no problem with that. But the language - why the Old West talk? Where'd that come from? Are we really supposed to believe that just because a society lives in a non-modern evironment (even though they got there by travelling through SPACE in their SPACESHIPS, er "boats") they automatically revert to M'am-ing and "well I rekon"? I was wondering when Mal would actually be hornswaggled (whatever the hell that is). Which is too bad because I thought the story and general writing and acting was good, but the language ruined it for me.

Pierce Graham

Jun 1, 2011
This thread made me go watch the first four episodes, and I've got to say.... eeeehhhhh. A 7/10 at most. Maybe it gets better later on, but the characters get annoying and cliche, and I don't know what language they just randomly start speaking on occasion, but some subtitles would be nice when they do. Also that little five-second bit of western music they keep playing over and over and over. And I wanted to surgically remove Kaylee's jaw before the end of first episode.

GiglameshSoulEater

Jun 30, 2010
Meh. I liked it.

However, it started getting better towards the end, which is why its annoying it got cancelled.

I disliked the movie, though. It was medicore at its very best.

May 5, 2010
Great, congratulations for having an opinion.

Seriously, why are so many Escapists so goddamn insecure that they have to come racing to the internet for approval every time they have an independent thought? Sorry if that's mean, but we have WAY too many damn topics like this.

MrGseff

Jun 10, 2009
Well thats what makes a cult show, some love it while others just dont get it... I for one absolutely love it but people are entitled to their own opinions

maninahat

Nov 8, 2007
It's okay. I don't think it is the second coming like fans keep going on about. Fans are usually the worst part about any show, and with Firefly, they go to extra lengths to be annoying.

All the fans wining about how the show got cancelled can do to stop that. They should appreciate that if barely enough people watch his show, it won't get more seasons. Popular shows do. The fact that Firefly got a movie is lucky, and they should be thankful for just that.

Jedoro

Jun 28, 2009
Firefly's probably my favorite TV show ever, but I got nothing against you for not liking it. I mean, hell, you saw the better part of three episodes, so at least you gave it a shot.

Jaime_Wolf

Jul 17, 2009
Great premise, great actors, great writing. Especially the writing. The show has a sense of humour that's very hard to find elsewhere. Also, you really get a sense of how much everyone involved must love their job.

I can't think of a single other show with quite so many great lines. Google "Firefly quotes" and you'll find that most episodes have at least a dozen pretty memorable lines.

To be fair, the season gets progressively better, so you may be doing yourself a disservice watching only the first three episodes.

Then again, you don't like Mal, so you might be doomed.

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
i love the characters and want to like the show so bad, i dont know why i dont enjoy it as much as everyone else but i just...dont